Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Meeting with Admissions  (Read 1771 times)

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Meeting with Admissions
« on: June 05, 2007, 10:55:25 AM »
So I busted my ass and finished in the top 1% of my class at a T4, and I am applying to transfer to a high T2 which is not transfer friendly (receive about 40-50 transfer apps, take around 4-5 students).  I want the best chance possible so I contacted the admissions office and setup a meeting next week since it has been recommended to visit schools that someone wants to transfer to.  WTF do I do at the meeting?  Just ask questions that I already know the answer to?  Beg them to let me in?  Should I bring knee pads and KY?

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Meeting with Admissions
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 11:46:33 AM »
I found my answer by refining my search terms, thanks LSD

brightline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 05:23:26 PM »
Apply to more schools. You can probably do better than a T2 if you send out some more apps.

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 08:12:22 PM »
I am really only interested in going to my flagship state school, I am going to send another app to a Top 20 in the same state just to see what happens, thanks.

roygbiv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 10:56:55 AM »
You should be good to go at Vandy with those kinds of grades.

I am really only interested in going to my flagship state school, I am going to send another app to a Top 20 in the same state just to see what happens, thanks.

LawSchooler09

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 03:54:10 PM »
Hey OP - hope the transfer process is treating you kindly and that you didn't need to break out the KY.  Question.  How'd you set up a meeting with the admissions office?  You just call them and said "I'm applying as a transfer student and would like a meeting...?"  Also, is the meeting a very general thing or was it to meet with someone on the adcomm?  Lastly, how much did you talk about wanting to be in that geographic area - and what reasons did you give for wanting to be there? 
Thanks for the input!

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 04:39:19 PM »
I actually went just the other day; all I did to setup the meeting was look on the schools website to find out who the dean of admissions is and called her office.  I just told them I was applying as a transfer student and was planning on making a visit . I then asked if she would be available to talk to me for a few minutes and they setup an appointment.

I went to into her office and she had my file there to look over.  My school hadn't sent my transcript yet so I brought a copy of my grades printed from my school's online grading service for her to look at.  It was very informal and general,  I told her that I wanted to go to school there and briefly gave a few reasons why.  She asked a few questions about where I wanted to practice, etc.  I had a few specific question to ask her which she answered.  The whole thing lasted about 10-15 minutes and she gave me a paper regarding law review before I left.

Overall, it wasn't very informative, but that wasn't the point in going.  I am glad I went because if nothing else at least it showed them that I was truly interested in the school and will allow them to put a face with a name when my application is formally reviewed. 

To answer your question about wanting to be in the geographic location, it came up and I basically said I had lived in the state all my life and wanted to practice there after I graduate.

dk24

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 08:17:03 PM »
I hope you'll withdraw you app. from Vandy when you get in UTK.

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 11:02:24 PM »
I hope you'll withdraw you app. from Vandy when you get in UTK.

Are you applying to Vandy?

dk24

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 11:20:45 PM »
Yeah man.  I'm going up there around the first of the month to have a chat with them.  I go to a T4 with a decent rep (I hope), well as decent as a T4 can have anyway.  I'm not as high as you, but I'm top 10%.