Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Buying one's way  (Read 1929 times)

JDSoulja

• View Profile
    • Email
Buying one's way
« on: June 04, 2007, 12:25:05 PM »
I did well in my first year, but not well enough to keep my scholarship.  I made the foolish mistake of taking a full-ride at a crap school instead of a no-scholarship admit at a very prestigious school.  I am willing to donate my way back into contention at a top school.  Would $100K do it?  Suggestions, criticisms, encouragement are all welcome.

savage_fred

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Buying one's way
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 01:36:10 PM »
Egads, that's rough. I recenty made the same decision and accepted a hefty scholarship renewable with top 50% finish in lieu of severa other offers from better schools. I did, however, research this problem a bit and discovered that several schools (especially DePaul) give out scholarships to 60% of their student body and only renew those in the top 30%...seems like a dirty way to recruit people to raise the admission numbers only to abandon the students. My advice, stick with it. 

JDSoulja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 02:11:18 PM »
Yep. Bottom 1/3 is what we might call a "profit center" at most schools.  The scholarships lure them, most don't keep them.  The margin is small, but what the hey?  I'm not here to complain about the system anymore as much as I am to work it to my advantage.

That said, let's talk numbers.  Let's say for example that I would like to buy my way in to UT Austin or one of the University of California law schools.  Or maybe even a nice private law school in the top 50. 

lsgrad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 12:25:37 PM »
If you have the money to donate a hundred K to get back into contention why did you care about the scholarship in the first place?

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 12:37:49 PM »
I bet with 100k donation, you could get in almost anywhere.  The tough part would be how to approach the subject without expressly offering a bribe

st911

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 06:45:33 PM »
I bet with 100k donation, you could get in almost anywhere.  The tough part would be how to approach the subject without expressly offering a bribe

Even a T14 school? $100k doesn't seem like a whole lot of money to these schools. I would assume you'd need at least $250k to get their attention.

chapman1l

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 06:50:23 PM »
If you have 100k laying around to donate, why do you need to go to law school?

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 07:00:13 PM »

some people want to go to law school for reasons other than money

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 06:25:23 PM »
I think 500k would get their attention. 

Marcus2009

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 06:26:06 PM »

100K? most people pay more than 100k just to get their JDs