Law School Discussion

Advice for a 0L hell bent on being near the top of his class?

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for a 0L hell bent on being near the top of his class?
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2007, 03:04:17 PM »
gunners prepare for class people at the top of the class prepare for the exam.

JG

« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2007, 06:26:08 AM »
I don't know if they were at the bottom of the class, but none of the big-time gunners in my class were in the top 10-15%.

My theory: if you spend class looking for an opportunity to say something, thinking about what brilliant comments you're going to make, and listening to yourself talk, you're not really paying attention to what the professor thinks is important.  Your focus should be on the black letter law and the professor, not on yourself or your fellow students' comments.

« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2007, 10:31:14 AM »
eg gunner = big mouth, a snitch? Tries to be a teacher's pet?

Strong

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2007, 12:57:51 PM »
People at the bottom of the class play alot of computer or console games and watch cartoon network.

« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2007, 01:58:51 PM »
People at the bottom of the class play alot of computer or console games and watch cartoon network.

No they don't.  I play all of these, and I am not in the bottom.  I actually think people in the top of the class play a lot of games, because they are efficient and know how to relax.

vaplaugh

« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2007, 02:37:38 PM »

No they don't.  I play all of these, and I am not in the bottom.  I actually think people in the top of the class play a lot of games, because they are efficient and know how to relax.

Strong says that those at the bottom of the class screw around.  He/she's not saying that those at the top of the class don't screw around.  If he/she wanted to say that, he/she would have said "People that play a lot of computer or console games and watch cartoon network are always at the bottom of the class."

OR..

Strong: Socrates is a man.
Killroy:  But that is not true, because I am a man, and I am not Socrates.

Strong

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2007, 07:29:33 PM »

I'm being facetious. You could be addicted to world of warcraft and still be a top student, well I couldn't find any documented cases.

« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2007, 08:02:36 PM »
Most of the gunners I know don't do very well at all.  In class it seems like they're understanding the subject but then they fall apart during the exam.  If I didn't know them very well, I would think they were at the top.

« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2007, 07:47:53 AM »
My advice - don't try to be at the top of the class. :)  I was honestly more concerned about getting put on probation all year, and otherwise was trying not to put a lot of pressure on myself about grades.  However, I ended up being top 5%.  I didn't plan for it or expect it at all, so my methodology could probably only be classified as "accidental."  :)

Right on.  I was kind of in a similar boat, just trying to stay top 80% to keep my scholarship.  After first semester exams, which I felt good but not great about, I'd told myself that I'd be happy with top half--I was top 20% after first semester.  After second semester exams, which I felt great about, I was hoping I'd improve slightly upon my first semester grades, and I ended up with such a kick-ass 2nd semester that I'm now top 5% overall.  I just tried to focus on learning the material, not worrying about what grades would result from my efforts.  Worrying/stressing is so counterproductive.

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2007, 11:17:50 AM »
My advice - don't try to be at the top of the class. :)  I was honestly more concerned about getting put on probation all year, and otherwise was trying not to put a lot of pressure on myself about grades.  However, I ended up being top 5%.  I didn't plan for it or expect it at all, so my methodology could probably only be classified as "accidental."  :)

Right on.  I was kind of in a similar boat, just trying to stay top 80% to keep my scholarship.  After first semester exams, which I felt good but not great about, I'd told myself that I'd be happy with top half--I was top 20% after first semester.  After second semester exams, which I felt great about, I was hoping I'd improve slightly upon my first semester grades, and I ended up with such a kick-ass 2nd semester that I'm now top 5% overall.  I just tried to focus on learning the material, not worrying about what grades would result from my efforts.  Worrying/stressing is so counterproductive.

i have to agree with this i'm a 0L but i've always tackled school like that and plan to continue in law school. don't worry about being at the top of the class. just make sure you know the material and do the best that you can. 9 times out of 10 you will look up at the end and be in the lead pack. don't let yourself get lazy and don't concern yourself with what everybody else is doing. i've always found that people who are constantly talking about how well they're doing are lying. i know very few people who get stellar grades that go around telling everyone about it. i usally just say i did alright. at the end of the semester all the "gotta be tops in the class" people will ask you what's your trick. when you say i just did the best i could and didn't worry about anybody else, they always have this confused look on their face.