Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Yet another CURVE question....  (Read 867 times)

GoGreenGo

• View Profile
Yet another CURVE question....
« on: June 01, 2007, 04:59:53 PM »
Forgive my lack of statistical insight.  How horrid/tough is this curve, if at all?  Keep in mind anything under 2.33 cumulative leads to academic disqualification.  Also, the school's grading system (below) is slightly non-traditional, ie B = 3.33, not 3.00.

Grade Curve and Normalization

It is the School of Laws policy that grades in required and bar-tested courses fall within a norm (e.g., that grades in various sections are similar). The policy is as follows:

A/A                No fewer than 8%    No more than 12%

A through B   No fewer than 45%    No more than 55%

C and below   No fewer than 8%    No more than 12%

Grading System
A    = 4.33       
A    = 4.00       
B+    = 3.67       
B    = 3.33       
B    = 3.00       
C+    = 2.67       
C    = 2.33               
C    = 2.00         
D+    = 1.67         
D    = 1.33         
D    = 1.00         
F    = 0.00       

GA-fan

Re: Yet another CURVE question....
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 09:55:14 PM »
Looks pretty good and high. It will mean taht the curve will probably be very tight (ie, .05 will separate 10% of the class) rather than a wide spread. Good number of A's though- tough to attain but not impossible.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 11:41:38 PM »
That's the curve my school has. I was able to get two A's my first semester and 2 B's and a C for the midterms in my year long classes. Now I have 2 A's and 1 C and am waiting for my other grades. The curve is tight but the effect on your GPA all depends on the credits the class is. With my three grades my GPA right now is 3.88

The curve = to about 1-5 A's through A- {some profs only give one A and the rest A-'s

The other really depends on the size of your section. You'll be ok. The curve can HELP as well as hurt {I had a prof that said she had to give more A's because of the curve}

Duner

• MSN Messenger - jkorduner@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LSUConnMan
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jkorduner
    • View Profile
    • Duner's LSU Law Blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 09:17:46 PM »
That's awesome...your school effectively masks your grades for unknowing employers. Everyone in your school will get the benefit of the doubt when they apply out of state, or to an employer not familiar with the school. My school had a mandatory median of 2.7. 1/3 were required to be at or below a 2.3. They basically cannibalize 1/2-2/3 of the class to out of state employers.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 10:06:04 PM »
This is why employers will often ask rank...becuase of the wide variance in curves for those who aren't right at the top.