Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Florida Coastal v. Thomas Cooley  (Read 2545 times)

gotcha

• View Profile
Florida Coastal v. Thomas Cooley
« on: May 29, 2007, 07:42:51 PM »
 ??? I need to hear from you guys.  Which school is better Thomas Cooley or Florida Coastal?  They are both ranked as T4 schools but I am sure that one is better than the other.  Please help...  Thanks alot.

gatorhater

• View Profile
Re: Florida Coastal v. Thomas Cooley
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 08:08:52 PM »
Coastal has better numbers(http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/index.php/4/desc/LSATLow), but where you go should depend on where you want to practice (Fl vs. MI). If you aren't going to practice in either state (or region), Coastal is the better choice.

nemo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 02:20:19 PM »
...where you go should depend on where you want to practice (Fl vs. MI). If you aren't going to practice in either state (or region), Coastal is the better choice.

A few people also mentioned this? Why would this matter?
Say I intend to practice in NY, but end up going to Yale... (of course Yale is T1, but I'm just not sure why attending a school in a diff state would matter).

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 02:45:55 PM »
...where you go should depend on where you want to practice (Fl vs. MI). If you aren't going to practice in either state (or region), Coastal is the better choice.

Say I intend to practice in NY, but end up going to Yale... (of course Yale is T1, but I'm just not sure why attending a school in a diff state would matter).

The question is one of a school's regional reputation.  Yale is not a good example for this Q because it is one of three truly national schools.  It is not that Yale is a T1, it is that Yale is #1.  Most T1's rely on their regional reps as well.

Short answer: you will not find any NYC firms recruiting students from TC or FC.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 02:51:15 PM »
School choice can often come down to regional v. national preference.  For instance, in San Diego there are two T4's and a T1.  If I wanted to go to practice in New York, or San Francisco, or Los Angeles, you can bet I would have gone to University of San Diego in a hurry.

But, I just want to stay in the sun and beach lined town I live in, so California Western was a fine choice (and the full ride didn't hurt in the decision making process).

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 05:15:17 PM »

This better be flame or it may rank as of the dumber posts I've read on this board.
Air Force JAG Corps

gotcha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »

This better be flame or it may rank as of the dumber posts I've read on this board.
[/quote]

Maybe you should get a life! It seems like you get off talking schmack about people who you don't even know.  Stop wasting your time if you got nothing better to say or better yet if you got nothing better in between your ears!

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 09:53:58 PM »
Prestigious NYC biglaws love T4 grads in general and Cooley grads in particular. 
Yale Law School - Class of 09

gatorhater

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 02:45:07 PM »
Why would they like T4 grads?

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 04:26:38 PM »
Why would they like T4 grads?
You aught to know better than to speak to a Krazy Nazi...
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.