Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Attending Florida Coastal Fall '07  (Read 13650 times)

gotcha

• View Profile
Attending Florida Coastal Fall '07
« on: May 26, 2007, 10:55:29 PM »
 :) Is there anyone going to Florida Coastal this Fall '07?  If so, I was looking to get information about the school.  Thanks much  ;D

gatorhater

• View Profile
Re: Attending Florida Coastal Fall '07
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 07:50:25 PM »
I'll be there in the fall. I don't know much about Jax or the school other than what I've read.

gotcha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 01:36:27 PM »
I don't think people read this board.  Anyways, hopefully I can get someone to give us insights about Jacksonville and the school.  I wanted to know the best areas to move to and how much the rent is.  Thanks...

gatorhater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 08:53:33 PM »
I know that the south side of town is nicer and safer.

Temple Gator

• Temple Law in 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 08:03:40 AM »
I could comment on any specific neighborhoods you might be curious about. I've lived in Jax most of my life. (Although I'm moving to Philly in the fall to go to Temple Law.)

I live in Springfield, which is an historic, urban neighborhood. Good if you like big, turn-of-the-century houses for relatively low prices/rent.

For pure pleasantness, I'd recommend Mandarin or any of the new housing in the area of Butler Blvd. and 9A. For charm and atmosphere, I'd suggest San Marco or Avondale. Or, Riverside, which is similar to Avondale, but less refined and less expensive. These last three are all "historic" neighborhoods, which is something of a novelty in Florida. Not many old houses in a state where life was miserable before central air conditioning became commonplace.

Generally, apartment rent and house prices are pretty reasonable in Jax, so you should have plenty of choices, but you're likely going to be doing a lot of driving. Jax is very "spread out." I'm sure you've read by now that the city covers an entire county and is the largest in land mass in the contiguous 48 states. And people really do drive all over that area and beyond for shopping, movies, etc.

You might think you could find cool apartments downtown, but there are very few apartments or homes of any kind downtown. The ones that you will find tend to be very new (there's a recent drive to add housing there) and very expensive, upscale places.

I'd suggest you go to the campus, then drive out from there looking for something nearby. The school really is in a pretty good spot for being "central" to the places you'll want to go in town. Honestly, I'd probably choose a place somewhere along 9A or Gate Parkway if I were moving to town to go to FCSL.

Pocahontas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 04:26:01 PM »
I attend FL Coastal and I live off of Southside. It's close to the school and shopping, restaurants, etc. Try looking for apartments on the Southside Service Road (Southside and Old Baymeadows). They are privately owned, but nicer than the complexes in the area. Good luck!

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 04:52:50 PM »
Unless you're near the top of the class, competition will be tough in a not-so-hot Jacksonville legal market.  You'll be competing for jobs with graduates from much better schools including FSU, UF and some other GA schools. Don't forget Stetson, UM, and a handfull of other law schools in Florida. 

Phoenix Sam

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 05:10:59 PM »
Florida Coastal School of Law sucks. Its private diploma mill that sucks your money. At the end of three years and a mountian of debt your job prospects will likely be dark to dim.

Go elsewhere for a respected J.D..

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 05:57:58 PM »
Florida Coastal School of Law sucks. Its private diploma mill that sucks your money. At the end of three years and a mountian of debt your job prospects will likely be dark to dim.

You've signed up just to post this?  Are you a jobless Florida Coastal graduate?

vansondon

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 09:57:07 PM »

You've signed up just to post this?  Are you a jobless Florida Coastal graduate?

lol.  I share your sentiment.  I think unhelpful comments like that are really annoying.  Unfortunately, you get them all the time, here.