Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptops  (Read 10855 times)

PhilaGirl

• View Profile
Re: Laptops
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 06:32:41 PM »
I really want to get Vista. Is it really that bad? I'm going to go and purchase my laptop within the next two weeks at Best Buy and outside of completing assignments, I am lost as far as computers go. Should I really go with XP? Will I really be in that much trouble if I do get Vista?

I don't think you're in trouble if you get Vista, it's just not the recommended operating system.  I guess it could be troublesome during exams if they don't have everything smoothed out by then.  If you go to Best Buy, though, I doubt you're even going to have the option of getting XP.  The computers there are all pre-configured and will be loaded up with Vista.  Even people configuring their own computers are starting to have trouble getting XP, so I'd be extremely surprised if you're able to find it on an off-the-shelf model.  Just make sure to get (or upgrade to) Vista Business.

templeace

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 12:48:13 PM »
I don't think you're in trouble if you get Vista, it's just not the recommended operating system.  I guess it could be troublesome during exams if they don't have everything smoothed out by then.  If you go to Best Buy, though, I doubt you're even going to have the option of getting XP.  The computers there are all pre-configured and will be loaded up with Vista.  Even people configuring their own computers are starting to have trouble getting XP, so I'd be extremely surprised if you're able to find it on an off-the-shelf model.  Just make sure to get (or upgrade to) Vista Business.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice.

Barbie22

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 02:07:39 PM »
why vista business?  Vista Home premium works just fine.

PhilaGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 02:47:22 PM »
A lot of people (not specifically at Temple, but just in general) have had trouble connecting to networks using Vista.  The Business edition is supposed to have enhanced connectivity and better backup features.