Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptops  (Read 11093 times)

wooshi23

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Laptops
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 06:30:58 PM »
I just wanted to add to this- I spoke with a temple computer person today and found that vista is ok- he was told to discourage people from using vista, but after a bit of poking and prodding it became pretty clear that people using vista have not really had any dificulties yet and he didn't aniticipate any.

PhilaGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 08:40:17 PM »
Damn.  That must have happened since I talked to them, which admittedly was quite awhile ago.  I went with XP both because of of Temple not approving Vista and because the Lenovo rep said that he couldn't, in good conscience, recommend Vista to anyone (he sounded like he really hated it).  But this backtracking by the computer people at Temple probably means that now I'll have to pay to upgrade it sooner rather than later.  Doesn't make me happy.

Barbie22

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 09:48:23 PM »
i have vista right now on a t61 2.0 ghz core 2 duo with 2 gigs of ram.  I must admit it is ok, but deff slower than my 1.6 centrino notebook running on 1 gig with xp pro.  Im sure vista will get better after a service pack or two.  Its just not a fluid right now as my xp system.

wooshi23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 10:07:14 AM »
d**mn.  That must have happened since I talked to them, which admittedly was quite awhile ago.  I went with XP both because of of Temple not approving Vista and because the Lenovo rep said that he couldn't, in good conscience, recommend Vista to anyone (he sounded like he really hated it).  But this backtracking by the computer people at Temple probably means that now I'll have to pay to upgrade it sooner rather than later.  Doesn't make me happy.

I had to question him for quite awhile to get that out of him- it seems the university was really pushing them to tell us not to get it. We were seriously on the phone for about 10 minutes before I got him to admit that the odds of me having problems were nonexistant and that many 1L's and other new students were getting vista so the university would have to support it in the fall.

I just orded a dell inspiron 1420- it won't be shipping for another 2 weeks though (ridiculous!) I hope I don't hate it- I'm keeping my mac for home use though I think.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 11:06:13 AM »
A Temple student here.  Just so you're aware--

You're dealing with one of the most inept IT groups you could EVER imagine at Temple Law. When these folks "upgrade" systems and *&^%, they clearly never test anything, b/c stuff just doesn't work afterward.

As of May 07, folks with Vista had connectivity issues and exam-taking issues.

d**mn.  That must have happened since I talked to them, which admittedly was quite awhile ago.  I went with XP both because of of Temple not approving Vista and because the Lenovo rep said that he couldn't, in good conscience, recommend Vista to anyone (he sounded like he really hated it).  But this backtracking by the computer people at Temple probably means that now I'll have to pay to upgrade it sooner rather than later.  Doesn't make me happy.

I had to question him for quite awhile to get that out of him- it seems the university was really pushing them to tell us not to get it. We were seriously on the phone for about 10 minutes before I got him to admit that the odds of me having problems were nonexistant and that many 1L's and other new students were getting vista so the university would have to support it in the fall.

I just orded a dell inspiron 1420- it won't be shipping for another 2 weeks though (ridiculous!) I hope I don't hate it- I'm keeping my mac for home use though I think.

wooshi23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 11:19:47 AM »
A Temple student here.  Just so you're aware--

You're dealing with one of the most inept IT groups you could EVER imagine at Temple Law. When these folks "upgrade" systems and *&^%, they clearly never test anything, b/c stuff just doesn't work afterward.

As of May 07, folks with Vista had connectivity issues and exam-taking issues.

Really?!? I specifically asked him if anyone with vista had reported troubles with taking exams and he told me no... that was the whole reason I decided I was ok going with vista.... this sucks since I already ordered my computer....

AZ ERMD

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 11:07:22 AM »
OK, I am curious as to which route everyone is taking.  Is the general consensus to stay with XP or to go with Vista and assume that IT will have it functional on the campuswide system in the very near future?  In looking for a laptop I have noticed that big companies like Dell are really pushing Vista, almost to the exclusion of XP.  This in itself makes it hard to find the exact system that I would like. With the big corporate push to vista it would seem like the IT people will eventually be forced to support it.  Just curious as to which road everyone is taking...

-AZ
"Work is the curse of the drinking classes"

-O. Wilde

PhilaGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 01:12:55 PM »
I got XP.  When I ordered my computer, the rep said that once '08 comes, you won't be able to buy XP anymore, so I thought it best to get it now, and then I can upgrade if and when I choose to rather than being stuck with an OS I might not like and not being able to downgrade.  It was a tough decision, but the more I hear about Vista, the happier I am that I'm staying with XP for now.

templeace

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 01:33:06 PM »
I really want to get Vista. Is it really that bad? I'm going to go and purchase my laptop within the next two weeks at Best Buy and outside of completing assignments, I am lost as far as computers go. Should I really go with XP? Will I really be in that much trouble if I do get Vista?

AZ ERMD

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 01:56:18 PM »
The more I think about it, the more XP seems like the right choice.  My reasoning is: 1) that the laptop has to only perform very basic functions  2) In the face of possible theft/damage/etc, I want the cheapest bulletproof rig I can find. (easily replaced).  I am concerned about whether or not it is easy to interface a vista rig with an XP rig.  I am going to replace my home computer and will probably be stuck with vista for that.  I would like to know if there are problems with getting the two OS's to play nice.  I am worried that an XP notebook tapping into my home cpu (vista) would create problems with printer/monitor drivers, network drivers, etc.  Any thoughts?  Any real world experiences?  I am stalling on my buying my cpus while I fight this battle in my mind.

-AZ
"Work is the curse of the drinking classes"

-O. Wilde