Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptops  (Read 11115 times)

PhilaGirl

• View Profile
Laptops
« on: May 22, 2007, 10:02:24 AM »
I just wanted to let everyone know, in case you're planning to buy a new computer, that Temple recommends us to stay with XP.  The specs aren't up on the website yet, but the woman I corresponded with said that while Vista will work for regular classroom stuff, if your computer has a problem during an exam and you're running Vista, they won't be able to help you.  She said you may be able to handwrite the remainder of the exam if you have time left, but from the sounds of it, if the problem happens at the end of the exam, you're pretty much SOL.

I think I'm getting my new computer pretty soon (probably before they post the official recommendations), which is why I asked them.  But I think this is pretty important to know sooner than July!

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Laptops
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 08:24:25 PM »
I'm a current Temple Law student. STAY W/ XP!!!!!!!  A friend had to buy a laptop in the middle of the Spring semester and Vista was incompatible w/ large portions of the schools wireless network AND examsoft.  I'm pretty sure that Dell (maybe others) still offers to build machines w/ XP if you ask.

wooshi23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 09:31:26 PM »
I'm a current Temple Law student. STAY W/ XP!!!!!!!  A friend had to buy a laptop in the middle of the Spring semester and Vista was incompatible w/ large portions of the schools wireless network AND examsoft.  I'm pretty sure that Dell (maybe others) still offers to build machines w/ XP if you ask.

do you know if one would have to call dell to do that? I was just on the website and unless I'm a bit stupid (an entirely possible thing btw) there was no xp option when I went to make my laptop.

I'm just really pissed about not being able to use my mac though. I just got this thing last fall.....  >:(

yvyty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 10:10:48 PM »
wooshi> use Bootcamp to boot into windows when you have to take the exam. Macs will work just fine for everything else.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 10:46:23 AM »

wooshi23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 09:25:36 PM »
wooshi> use Bootcamp to boot into windows when you have to take the exam. Macs will work just fine for everything else.

I could have sworn the temple accepted students site said that it wouldn't support windows on macs for exams. I guess I'll have to call and double check because I'd really love to keep mine.

Temple Gator

• Temple Law in 2007
    • View Profile
Re: Laptops - Mac or not?
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 04:29:26 PM »
When I was at the admitted students day, someone asked this question while the tech guy was in the room and he said the official Temple Law position is that they do not support the use of Macs, even with Windows installed on an Intel system, because they haven't been able to get the exam software to work on them yet. You can use them for anything other than exams, of course. He said they're trying to find a way to make the exam software work on the Intel Macs, but couldn't guarantee that it would happen next semester.

shenanigans55

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 10:43:57 PM »
I'd been wondering about this too. I really want a Vaio since I can't get a MAC, but none of the Vaios have XP anymore.  Do you think this will be a permanent thing, or that by next year they will be compatable with vista. 

Temple Gator

• Temple Law in 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 10:36:11 AM »
I'm sure they'll be compatible with Vista eventually, but I'm not going to gamble on whether it'll be done by the time the first exams roll around.

One thing I've considered is buying a Vista system, then installing XP pro in a dual-boot configuration. Of course, if you don't have an XP install disc, you'd have to shell out the money to buy that. And, you'd have to know how to partition a hard drive and do the install.

Plus -- I'm not even sure that would work, because the software they use for the exams is a very, very low-level application, which apparently accesses the most fundamental parts of the system. So, a dual-boot configuration might pose a problem. I'll try to find out.

imusselm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 12:56:25 AM »
They do allow windows vista. They told me some others have got it to work, however it is not supported in any way. Macs with windows running on them are not allowed at all during exams.