Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T50 Full Scholarship or GULC?  (Read 2563 times)

polblk

• View Profile
T50 Full Scholarship or GULC?
« on: May 16, 2007, 06:20:52 AM »
I currently go to a school between T40-T50.  I have a full scholarship and made law review, but just got accepted to GULC EA.  I don't really care where I practice, but I don't want to stay in the state I'm currently in (which is where my current school places a majority of its students).  Any opinions on whether I should transfer?

yykm

• View Profile
Re: T50 Full Scholarship or GULC?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 10:09:47 AM »
It depends on what you want career-wise.  If you wanted academia, then definately transfer. If you want a V10 firm, transfer.  However, if just want any biglaw job, then the decision is much more complicated.  While you mention most students at your school stay in the state, this doesnt necessarily mean that your job options are limited to that state. You could probably find a job in the region of your school, but depending on the recruiting at your school, you could have to do more of the recruiting.  Most students attend schools because they are happy with the state and region, so they tend to "place" themselves within the state/region.  If you arent content with either, then definately transfer. 

Also, does the scholarship have any requirements to keep it for 3L?  just somehting to consider.

polblk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 10:42:34 AM »
Thanks for the response. 

I'm not set on V10, but I would probably do biglaw.  One thing that concerns me is what happens to students at GULC that don't do that well.  I've heard conflicting reports on what happens to students near the bottom of the class.  Some say it's hard to find a job that pays well, while other things I've seen say biglaw is almost guaranteed for any T14.  Any thoughts on this?

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 12:05:23 PM »
I doubt the bottom 1/3 get biglaw.  However, unless you start slacking off at GULC, I doubt youll end up in that situation. On top of that, it's probably too late for that to matter much, since recruiters will only see grades from your previous school.  From what I hear, transfers usu do well in OCI and finish in the top half at the least.

englaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 11:13:23 PM »
The bottom students at GULC prob do worse than you will as a top student at at top 50 school (it isn't HYS after all), but everyone's advice probably depends on your confidence level - if you are sure you're not going to be in the bottom 1/3 of Gtown, then it may be worth moving, else maybe stay put...
ACCEPTED: American, George Washington, U Washington
DEFERRED: Duke
WAITLISTED: Northwestern
STILL WAITING: UCLA, USC
REJECTED: Georgetown, Michigan, Berkeley

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 02:38:00 AM »
take the scholarship if u dont have rich parents. it will literally be like freedom to chose what u want to do when u graduate
Attending: OU

roygbiv

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 10:40:06 AM »
In my mind the only reason to stay would be if you just want a law degree and don't really care what you do with it, then stay and take the free ride. There are just too many opportunities afforded to you with a T14 degree to pass it up.

I currently go to a school between T40-T50.  I have a full scholarship and made law review, but just got accepted to GULC EA.  I don't really care where I practice, but I don't want to stay in the state I'm currently in (which is where my current school places a majority of its students).  Any opinions on whether I should transfer?

KrazyNazi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 12:09:32 AM »
The bottom at Gtown will probably do worst than a top 10% at T1, but remember, either way you are taking a risk. 
There is not guarantee that you will stay in top 10% if you don't transfer, and there is not guarantee that you will not end up in the bottom if you do transfer to Gtown. 
It all depends on you, and which risk do you perceive to be less and what your long term career goal is.  In my personal opinion, I think you should stay.  Gtown is not that great a school for teaching and prestigious clerkships, and it has a huge student body, which means it is harder for the good jobs to filter down to the bottom guys. 
Yale Law School - Class of 09