Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Substantive work after 1L?  (Read 6861 times)

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Substantive work after 1L?
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 05:08:52 PM »
Having connections at a big firm or being a URM (lots of firms have "diversity programs" for 1Ls) is a huge help, but I still think it's foolish to count on getting a 1L firm job no matter who you are.  I say this as someone at a top law school with several years of previous work experience who sent out nearly 100 resumes on 12/1 and has only gotten about 4 responses so far of "send us your grades when you get them."

Ah well... honestly, doing the study abroad thing for a couple months sounds really fun!  I'm just worried that at OCI it would look like I couldn't get a job.  So I need to turn my attention to public service stuff.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 11:29:48 AM »
Agree that it's foolish to count on the job for 1L, especially when the goal for many students over 1L is just trying not to increase the debt.  May also want to revisit your concept of "decent paying".  Top SAs make lots of money, but 1Ls are typically paid less than 2Ls, and $2800/3000 seems to be the norm only at top firms and primary markets (gonna be a stretch from Univ. of Richmond).  My impression is that the salary for 1Ls is at a few tiers -- unpaid/volunteer, small stipend/hourly, then $1000-3000/wk.  So if you're only applying for firms that pay $2800-3000/wk, you'll run out of firms quickly. 

TPS Report

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 11:42:22 AM »
I am a 1L at a top 5 school.  I sent out 8 resumes and received 6 interview invitations, one of which I declined.  I have been on two interviews and already received 1 job offer.  This job pays about $2300 per week and is not a NYC, DC, or Chicago BIGLAW job.  I do not know how common my experience is or the extent to which my school and the fact that I was applying to mid-size markets affected firms responded to my resume and cover letter.  Overall, I would venture to guess that students from lower-ranked schools would have a harder time finding a firm job for the 1L summer, but keep in mind that there are firms who specifically target 1Ls, especially smaller-market firms, because they want to snatch up students before 2L OCI.