Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So where are people living? Where are the best places to live?  (Read 9847 times)

Barbie22

• View Profile
Re: So where are people living? Where are the best places to live?
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 12:31:02 PM »
Well im wl'ed at the one (the only) school that I would ever really go to over Temple.  So i also dont want to have to commit to a lease too early only to find out later that I got pulled off the wl.  I dont know how long i should wait though.I wonder if mid july would be too late to secure a nice room at the very least.

wooshi23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 12:33:48 PM »
Well im wl'ed at the one (the only) school that I would ever really go to over Temple.  So i also dont want to have to commit to a lease too early only to find out later that I got pulled off the wl.  I dont know how long i should wait though.I wonder if mid july would be too late to secure a nice room at the very least.

you'll be fine, like the previous poster said, landlords dont want to leave their property unrented by holding it for a long time for you. mid-july is perfect, particularly with small landlords, larger buildings sometimes will pre-lease apartments months before they are vacant, but small landlords almost never do this.

Temple Gator

• Temple Law in 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 04:34:59 PM »
East fall is good, there is regional rail that goes through there (30 minutes from T.U.), and the previous poster is correct view areas first.  Most of it is fine. Some higher value properties there. Up the street from the park and bike trails.

If the SEPTA schedules are correct, it's only an eight minute ride from East Falls to Temple (and vice-versa) on the R6 regional rail line.

I've never asked locals about this, but it looks to me like it would be possible to ride a bike from East Falls to Temple fairly easily too. But, that's just a guess. Maybe there's a 45-degree incline along the route or rabid dogs or swarms of killer bees something like that.

GraphiteDirigible

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 01:19:34 PM »
Okay, I just got back from Philly last night. I looked at 6 places in various areas. All were on the periphery of Center City (except one in Manayunk). I suppose after looking that I'm partial to the city. For those that haven't been, places that seem out of the way on a map are still closer than you think. And you can find things for a decent price if you move away from the actual center of the city. For example, I found a 4 bedroom for $1200 in the Italian Market area. It was 6 blocks from an Orange line station, newly remodeled and it was in a pretty cool neighborhood. Also, Northern Liberties is nice and more affordable than, say, old city/society hill. Lots of students and young professionals in Northern Liberties and Art Museum, lots of personality in the Italian Market, and everyone I met kept telling me University City is a great place for students because its affordable and near transportation.

One thing that I've been hearing on LSD is how some of the places I've just mentioned are sketchy. For the most part I didn't find this to be true. I took 3 days to see 6 places and I walked around all the neighborhoods. I wanted to really feel them out. South Philly is pretty cool. Lots of families and shops, plus you get that Brooklyn feel with the rowhouses (although its definitely more a Philly feel). Italian Market had alot of personality and seemed like a neighborhood. The actual market that Genos and Pats is on is cool, although that's, I guess, called Bella Vista. Still cool though and a good mix of demographics with mainly Asians, Hispanics, and Caucasians. Northern Liberties was a boat load  of art galleries and funky cafe/bar/restaurants. Also lots of students and young professionals. Art museum seemed yuppieish and was pretty with tree lined rows and lots of dog walkers.

In all these places there were areas that you didn't really want to walk through with $50 bills hanging out of your pockets. But, for the most part they seemed safe and surprisingly friendly (people were talking to me about the neighborhood and striking up conversations everywhere I went). My opinion is that, sure these places are not as 100% secure as Rittenhouse or the suburbs, but the bad looking spots are pretty recognizable so if you avoid them, you'll find that these places are actually really cool areas.

One thing I'm not sure about however, is parking on the street in these areas. Being physically safe is one thing. But, I didn't have a car with me so I never parked anywhere. I guess I hear tell of peoples' cars getting broken into in Northern Liberties and Italian Market and South Philly. Maybe somebody can confirm this.

Another thing is that alot of these places are deceptive. Northern Liberties, especially up near Girard, looks scary. But, once you walk around and realize its all college students who live there, and start to notice that the neighborhood has lots of people out walking dogs and perusing art galleries, and see BMWs parked outside at night, it starts to seem less sketchy. Other places can look okay but seem sketchier with bums crawling out of the woodwork and berating you if you don't give them money. But all in all, this deceptiveness seems to be on the edges of these neighborhoods and away from main roads. 

Anyhow, I know I sound like a real estate agent. But, I thought I'd let you all know that there is affordable stuff in Center City.

Have a good one.

Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head
I put 'em back in the jacket of the one I love
Carry that velvet sack full of pretty colored marbles
And I'll ask you for 'em back, when I'm ready and done

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 07:39:49 PM »
Okay, I just got back from Philly last night. I looked at 6 places in various areas. All were on the periphery of Center City (except one in Manayunk). I suppose after looking that I'm partial to the city. For those that haven't been, places that seem out of the way on a map are still closer than you think. And you can find things for a decent price if you move away from the actual center of the city. For example, I found a 4 bedroom for $1200 in the Italian Market area. It was 6 blocks from an Orange line station, newly remodeled and it was in a pretty cool neighborhood. Also, Northern Liberties is nice and more affordable than, say, old city/society hill. Lots of students and young professionals in Northern Liberties and Art Museum, lots of personality in the Italian Market, and everyone I met kept telling me University City is a great place for students because its affordable and near transportation.

One thing that I've been hearing on LSD is how some of the places I've just mentioned are sketchy. For the most part I didn't find this to be true. I took 3 days to see 6 places and I walked around all the neighborhoods. I wanted to really feel them out. South Philly is pretty cool. Lots of families and shops, plus you get that Brooklyn feel with the rowhouses (although its definitely more a Philly feel). Italian Market had alot of personality and seemed like a neighborhood. The actual market that Genos and Pats is on is cool, although that's, I guess, called Bella Vista. Still cool though and a good mix of demographics with mainly Asians, Hispanics, and Caucasians. Northern Liberties was a boat load  of art galleries and funky cafe/bar/restaurants. Also lots of students and young professionals. Art museum seemed yuppieish and was pretty with tree lined rows and lots of dog walkers.

In all these places there were areas that you didn't really want to walk through with $50 bills hanging out of your pockets. But, for the most part they seemed safe and surprisingly friendly (people were talking to me about the neighborhood and striking up conversations everywhere I went). My opinion is that, sure these places are not as 100% secure as Rittenhouse or the suburbs, but the bad looking spots are pretty recognizable so if you avoid them, you'll find that these places are actually really cool areas.

One thing I'm not sure about however, is parking on the street in these areas. Being physically safe is one thing. But, I didn't have a car with me so I never parked anywhere. I guess I hear tell of peoples' cars getting broken into in Northern Liberties and Italian Market and South Philly. Maybe somebody can confirm this.

Another thing is that alot of these places are deceptive. Northern Liberties, especially up near Girard, looks scary. But, once you walk around and realize its all college students who live there, and start to notice that the neighborhood has lots of people out walking dogs and perusing art galleries, and see BMWs parked outside at night, it starts to seem less sketchy. Other places can look okay but seem sketchier with bums crawling out of the woodwork and berating you if you don't give them money. But all in all, this deceptiveness seems to be on the edges of these neighborhoods and away from main roads. 

Anyhow, I know I sound like a real estate agent. But, I thought I'd let you all know that there is affordable stuff in Center City.

Have a good one.

since your talking about Univ City im assuming your going to Penn, i'm not going to school in philly but i'm a native philly boy born and raised so my definition of UC is a little different than how most philly schools try to define it to out of towners. UC is nice and cheap but it's heavily undergrad (you've got drexel, penn, and that pharmacy school all in the same 5 block area). for a law student i think you're on the right track with center city. center city/n. liberties, the so called yuppy areas, are about the only safe neighborhoods in philly right now. UC used to really bad they cleaned it up a lot around the mid 90's and it was really nice when governor rendell was mayor. it's still ok but not as safe as it used to be. summer time tends to be a slow time for the Penn area it's much more congested during the semester and lets just say the criminal elements know when the students are around. keep that in mind not trying to scare you just be aware. you can fine some really nice not so expensive places in and around south street which just depends on how far you want to be from Penn's landing the closer to center city (15th street or so) your are the cheaper it is. you could also opt for further into w. philly (Penn still calls it UC but it's W. philly) UC really doesn't extend past 34th street but don't go any higher than like 40th street. also around the girard ave/w. river drive side (over by the art musuem). like you said after you get to know the city a little better, you can just about live anywhere because SEPTA is very reliable and convenient although not cheap . all and all philly's a great town to go to school in. it's much more student friendly than NYC and Boston.
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Phillyman14

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 04:29:57 PM »
tag