Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Learning Assistant?  (Read 443 times)

Law9486

• View Profile
Learning Assistant?
« on: May 09, 2007, 10:17:43 PM »
So, how important is it to be a TA? I was asked to be one for the fall, but I would have to change my schedule so that the classes dont conflict. (I am really happy with my current schedule too.) Im also worried that it might be a lot of work. So, how good does it look on a resume? Is it worth it?

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Learning Assistant?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 10:52:41 PM »
It depends on what other activities you plan on becomming involved with.  Ex. If you are already on journal and moot court, being a TA is nice, but will likely take away from what little time you have.  I was involved with all 3 and, while I certainly don't regret it, my firm didn't ask about the TA position at all during my interview - which leads me to believe it wasn't given much weight.

However, if you don't plan on being involved with anything else, being a TA certainly is worth the time.  It will be a great way to open up an entire coversation with your interviewers when you are looking for a job.

ps. Interviewers could give a rats ass whether you had a personally convenient class schedule, so that should be the least of your concerns.  Drop a class and become a TA.
pudding is delightful

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 04:42:44 PM »
Biggest benefit I think of being a TA is forming a relationship with a faculty member.  If you have any thoughts of wanting to clerk, or hell, even if you're not sure you want to clerk, you should consider having a faculty reference/recommendation vitally important.

If you're doing journal or Law Review, you're likely going to have a faculty adviser for your comment (at least at my school, everyone on any journal needs a faculty adviser).  But if you're not doing journal and LR (or moot court/mock trial), you should really think seriously about taking the TA position.

And I agree with brewha 100%.  Having a "convenient" schedule should not be the most important thing on your mind.  People care about your experience and resume, not whether you had a morning class or whether your class schedule allowed you time for an afternoon nap.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 08:12:11 PM »

And I agree with brewha 100%. 

You are obviously enlightened beyond reasonable contemplation. If this doesn't deserve a +1 reputation score, I don't know what does.
pudding is delightful