Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are Northwestern or Michigan transfer friendly schools?  (Read 2031 times)

k2217

• View Profile
Are Northwestern or Michigan transfer friendly schools?
« on: May 08, 2007, 12:37:39 PM »
What if your already attending a law school in Michigan...might that give one some leverage or at least a "Michigan" preference?

I'm trying to get out of my T3/T4 school...
Anyone have experience attempting to transfer to one of those...the yahoo group database doesn't have too much on those schools specifically.

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Are Northwestern or Michigan transfer friendly schools?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 12:39:23 PM »
Northwestern accepts about 20 transfers.. Not too transfer friendly.  I am unsure of Mich

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 01:02:40 PM »
You can find exactly how many ppl transferred into each school on LSAC.org.  Mich = 37 and NW = 40 for last year.  I wish it listed how many applications each school had for transfers though.

Lascar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 02:18:55 PM »
How on lsac.org do you get to that data?

k2217

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 02:39:24 PM »
Do they consider your law school's ranking?

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 02:43:29 PM »
How on lsac.org do you get to that data?

First, click on the link on the left side of the site that says "Official Guide to ABA-Approved Law Schools."  Then, select the school your interested in, and click on the button that reads, "ABA Law School Data."  The transfer stats are usually on the first page.

CAUTION: occassionally the data is skewed b/c of various reasons (eg, changed admission policies).  However, I doubt these sorta things happen often for the elites.

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 02:47:38 PM »
It seems like they do, but class rank is by far the most important factor.  From the info ive gathered, the order of importance seems to be:

(1) Class rank
(2) School rank
(3) Reason(s) for transferring

Number one is well ahead of the other factors.  (2) and (3) are rather close. hth

somatic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 02:01:33 AM »
It seems like they do, but class rank is by far the most important factor.  From the info ive gathered, the order of importance seems to be:

(1) Class rank
(2) School rank

Number one is well ahead of the other factors.  (2) and (3) are rather close. hth

Wrong. (2) is just as if not more important than #1. Nice try! Trying to comfort yourself? Did you transfer yet?

#3 can be made up.

k2217

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 09:37:49 AM »
No I didn't transfer yet... but I sent in my application to Michigan....so we'll see.  Decisions aren't made until July and August.

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 12:41:13 PM »

(1) Class rank
(2) School rank

Wrong. (2) is just as if not more important than #1. Nice try! Trying to comfort yourself? Did you transfer yet?

#3 can be made up.
I hope you're right because I'm outside the top 10% at a T1.  Perhaps I'm pessimistic; hence, I discounted the effects of school rank.  Regardless, I'm not applying to either NU or UM.  The midwest is not for me.