Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: living in Carlisle  (Read 16045 times)

lizd

• View Profile
living in Carlisle
« on: May 03, 2007, 07:01:33 AM »
I'm looking for housing in Carlisle and would like some advice on where to live or where NOT to live. I have visited Carlisle just once and it all looked OK, but I'm sure there are some places one would rather not live. I live in VA now so I've been scoping out places from the PSU website and craigslist. Anyone know of areas I should avoid? I plan to line up a few places then head up to check them out.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
Re: living in Carlisle
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 11:36:10 AM »
The entire area is fairly safe.  But your best bet is to stay south of Louther Street and west of Hanover.  Essentially, there is a railine that runs through town--you want to stay south of there.  There have been problems in areas north of that line, but not many.  Students live all over, but most live where I just told you.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=%22Carlisle%2C%20PA%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl   

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 12:56:48 PM »
I've lived in Carlisle forever - if you want to send me addresses, I can give you the lowdown. The area Kilroy described is a nice part of town, but there are far more options as well, and some that may be more convenient to the temporary facility.

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 01:15:58 PM »
PS: Depending on when you decide to come to town, I'd be happy to show you around. It would be nice to meet a fellow incoming 1L before orientation :-)

lizd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 07:25:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Sorry we couldn't have met up - I was actually up in Carlisle at the first part of the week and just sort of wandered around on my own... I did find a place though - south of High and west of Hanover - that I'm really pleased with. I'll be bringing my dog so I was really excited to find a place that I liked that will let me bring him.

jman333

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 07:35:37 PM »
when does your lease start. whens everybody else planning on getting places? i wasnt going to until end of june. should i start earlier?

lizd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 07:42:40 PM »
My lease starts Aug. 1; I think some people are looking now because a couple of the places on my list were already taken by the time I got in touch with the landlords. I live so far away that I really wanted to look kind of early in case it took me a while to find something - wanted to give myself time to make a couple of trips up there if necessary.

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 08:40:55 PM »
when does your lease start. whens everybody else planning on getting places? i wasnt going to until end of june. should i start earlier?

I already live here, so I can scout out places for you if you want, haha. How far will you have to travel to get here? The housing list on the web site is still pretty long, but I have no idea how up-to-date it is.

sblount

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 08:44:01 PM »
I am also bringing a dog with me (an extremely large dog...great dane), so I think I need to start looking soon just because it is much much harder to find an apartment that allows dogs.  And, a lot of landlords that advertise that they allow dogs have a weight limit (official or unofficial) and so they won't allow a great dane.  aslaw I may be contacting you if I need help, or if I come to carlisle (which I probably will within the next month or so) to look at apartments.  Happy hunting to all of us!  And I was happy to hear someone with a dog was able to find an apartment..thanks for the update!

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 08:48:14 PM »
The earlier the better.  At least my first year, I wanted until July and had to settle on a place I wasn't happy with.  But things are a little different now with the law school in a different location.