Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grading at Pitt  (Read 5741 times)

lawisfun2010

• View Profile
Grading at Pitt
« on: April 30, 2007, 10:55:50 PM »
Hey guys I am going to Pitt in the fall and was looking at the website the other day and it didn't seem like Pittsburgh gave a very strict rank of its students nor did it use much of a forced curve.  Am I wrong in this?  From the charts on their website it seemed that quite a few students got A's and am trying to figure out the grading method they use there.  Thanks for the help.

mudcat

• View Profile
Re: Grading at Pitt
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 07:53:17 PM »
From the charts on their website it seemed that quite a few students got A's and am trying to figure out the grading method they use there.  Thanks for the help.

Wtf are you talking about?  look at the chart again - for 2008, about 10-15% average an A-. 

http://www.law.pitt.edu/career/ChartGradeDistribution2008.pdf

lawisfun2010

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 09:50:20 PM »
Can you explain how to read that chart to me.  I couldn't understand it that is why I asked.

mudcat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 08:00:30 AM »
Can you explain how to read that chart to me.

OK, what the chart means is that out of 250 people in the class, 35 people received an A- average, 90 people received a B+ average, 50 people received a B average, 50 people received a B- average, 15 people received a C+ average, and five people received a C average, after first year.  So its a ~3.1 curve.  Another way to understand the curve is that out of 250 people, about 40 people get A's, 40 people get C's, and the rest get B's.  Its kind of sad that I just had to explain that to you

lawisfun2010

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 03:29:28 PM »
Well thanks for explaining that to me I didn't realize it was individuals in the class and I was thinking percentiles.    Sorry if it was so hard to explain that.

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 05:16:53 PM »
Can you explain how to read that chart to me.

OK, what the chart means is that out of 250 people in the class, 35 people received an A- average, 90 people received a B+ average, 50 people received a B average, 50 people received a B- average, 15 people received a C+ average, and five people received a C average, after first year.  So its a ~3.1 curve.  Another way to understand the curve is that out of 250 people, about 40 people get A's, 40 people get C's, and the rest get B's.  Its kind of sad that I just had to explain that to you

No, it's really not. A lot of people in college don't have grading curves, myself included, and it's a bit confusing if you've never dealt with it before.
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

mudcat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 09:25:06 PM »
Dooder, that chart couldnt be any easier to read. The horizontal axis is the letter grade, and the vertical axis is the number of students who averaged that grade.