Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

who would u rather stay in la if u had to chose one?

shaq
 4 (44.4%)
kobe
 4 (44.4%)
they should both go, dang prissies
 1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: July 05, 2004, 06:22:08 PM

Author Topic: Most Hated 1L Class  (Read 4339 times)

the equation

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Most Hated 1L Class
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 04:55:28 AM »
The class I voted for is the most loved one, though! :)
Don't hate me cuz I'm beautiful.

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 05:03:16 AM »
Civil Procedure, by far. Contracts, although it becomes more complex, is still a body of law that is relatively easy to read and absorb. Civil Procedure hits you with a deadening thud. It's not impossible, and after a while, it does click. But, of every law school class, Civ. Pro. the driest, most prosaic course.

squarre

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 02:06:12 PM »
I went with legal writing.  Like others have said it just took so much time.  However, looking back as someone who is graduating in a little over a week it was probably one of the more useful classes that I have taken and one of the few I that I use a good bit today.

BeachBum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 03:12:27 PM »
I have a love/hate relationship with legal writing.  I hate that it is was only three credits for the year, yet took so much time.  I really liked my professor, she was by far the most helpful professor I've had so far.
3.7ish, 170+

LBJFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 04:07:13 PM »
Id say Crim...not because the subject matter was super hard but because I had a nightmare professor (who is actually a talking head criminal law commentator on TV and [despite that] an otherwise big shot in his field). You would think he'd be good to have but he was just sadistic about embarrassing people and had absolutely no patience for people who didn't know crim as well as he did.

He's since been banned from teaching 1Ls.  :D

Bob D

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 06:14:50 PM »
The case method is a horrible way to teach Civil Procedure to people who have no clue what a motion or a complaint is.

I'm sure I would have liked this a lot better if they started out with teaching the important background info for a month before having us read any cases.

But then that would ruin the whole point of law school, which is to hide the ball and trick the gullible into studying the wrong stuff so they get lousy grades and can't ever find a job.

JohnnyAwesome

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 09:55:43 PM »
The case method is a horrible way to teach Civil Procedure to people who have no clue what a motion or a complaint is.

I'm sure I would have liked this a lot better if they started out with teaching the important background info for a month before having us read any cases.

But then that would ruin the whole point of law school, which is to hide the ball and trick the gullible into studying the wrong stuff so they get lousy grades and can't ever find a job.

You're aware that it is quite easy to find out what a motion or complaint actually is with about 10 minutes of research on wikipedia. CivPro is too much to handle in a semester (why most schools have a CivProII) wasting a month teaching people what can be learned in 20 minutes online is completely useless. If you don't know what something is, go to the library and look up the word in Blacks.
My prof in our first intro to law class during orientation chewed out a student for not knowing what a demurrer was, because as he says you should know the definition to every word you use in class.
I think that's a good mentality to have

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 10:11:26 PM »
You can know the definiton of motion or complaint and still have no clue as to what they actually are.

nbf

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 10:20:04 PM »
Conlaw!  And I'm not biased because my exam is tomorrow! :P

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 09:45:14 PM »

The ball is only hidden for those too dumb to find it.
Air Force JAG Corps