Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about reciprocity  (Read 1044 times)

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
Question about reciprocity
« on: April 29, 2007, 01:47:38 PM »
This website has a list of states with rules for reciprocity:

http://juristech.com/chart.html

Now Virginia has a lot of reciprocity, but none with North Carolina.  However, Virginia has reciprocity with states that have reciprocity with North Carolina.  So, for instance, if I get admitted in Virginia could I apply for reciprocity in West Virginia or New York, and then once I get admitted there apply for reciprocity in North Carolina? 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Question about reciprocity
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 02:13:12 PM »
You could go from one state to the next, BUT it's very, very expensive to get reciprocity from what I've heard.  So much so that people who are moving to a new state, but not with an employer who will pay for it, usually end up just retaking the bar exam.

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 10:46:21 AM »
expensive??  I have never heard that before. 

I just want to be admitted in VA, DC, and NC while only taking the VA bar.  Wouldn't you think that the CLE courses would be good in all the jurisdictions in which you were admitted?

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 11:15:37 AM »
It isn't any more expensive, and no one retakes a bar if they don't have to.  Reciprocity is not easy.  First off, remember you have to stay in the jurisdiction you are licensed in for five years before you can move to another state with reciprocity and practice.  Of course, you can still do a pro hoc vice motion if you have a case in another state until your time has passed.  Second, it is not that expensive.  I think from VA to NY, it is 400 dollars.  Go to:
http://www.barbri.com

You can get all the information you need from their.  Pick your state and see.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 11:43:11 AM »
It isn't any more expensive

Wrong.  Reciprocity is much more expensive in some states than it is to take the bar exam.

http://www.ncbex.org/comprehensive-guide-to-bar-admissions/

Open the PDF, and go to page 35.  What you're looking for re: reciprocity is the "Admission on Motion" category.  In a few states it costs the same to take the bar as it does to get admitted under reciprocity rules, but from glancing through the table, it looks like most states charge significantly more.

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 02:04:19 PM »
Coming from someone who just paid $3,018 for a Barbri course, plus another $500 for PMBR, $1200 is objectively "expensive" yet much better than taking a second bar exam.

Is the five year requirement universal?  I thought that was only for certain states.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 04:34:26 PM »
Coming from someone who just paid $3,018 for a Barbri course, plus another $500 for PMBR, $1200 is objectively "expensive" yet much better than taking a second bar exam.

Is the five year requirement universal?  I thought that was only for certain states.

If you're only moving once, then it obviously makes sense to pay the $1200.  But some people are talking about moving from state A to state B (paying to practice there) in order to get reciprocity with their ultimate goal of state C.  So that ends up being two moves and two admission on motion fees, which could be more expensive than just moving to state C and taking the bar.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 07:01:56 PM »
It isn't that bad.  Come on, you are not talking about paying loans back here.  By time you work the 5 years needed to go to another state, you will be making a good or excellent living.  And many firms will actually pay it.