Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Easiest legal fields to get into?  (Read 3466 times)

LSD User

• View Profile
Easiest legal fields to get into?
« on: April 29, 2007, 11:30:38 AM »
What are some of the easiest fields to get into?  For somebody who doesn't care to make lots of money but to just have a fulfilling legal career?

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Easiest legal fields to get into?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 12:12:53 PM »
govt, such as State AGs office or District Attorney. 

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 01:20:38 PM »
I generally agree with the above poster, but with a few reservations/ elaborations.

1. Generally government work will be the easiest to obtain.  However, certain jobs within the government will be more difficult to obtain.

My ranking:

1. solo practice (duh)
2. not profit/ public service
2. PD and/or legal aid office in your city
3. DA/ States Attorney/ whatever they call it in your particular jurisdiction - some can be very competitive depending on location
4. AG - I'm not sure on all jurisidctions, but alot of AG offices will not hire you until you've been practicing for 3 years -- also, this varies depending on which division you want -- some are extraordinairly competitive and are staffed with ex-biglaw studs who didn't like the hours/ the work, whereas others are not very competitive.

* Federal Jobs tend to be somewhat more competitve than state jobs because of the generally higher salary, better benefits, and ability to transfer laterally within the Fed. Gov. with much more ease than direct application.  Depending on desirability of the position, these jobs fall somewhere within that list (Federal Gov. job in Hawaii or US Virgin Islands... yes please!!).
5. Federal government jobs a

txlawstu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 01:29:11 PM »
I actually agree with pappy13 with one exception.  Many, if not most, federal jobs are hard to get at first.  You have to hire in through the honors program (as it sounds you must graduate from your school with honors) or you have to have 3 years of work experience as an attorney.  Even then, they can be extremely competitive.  A friend of mine only got his position as a Federal Prosecutor after he put in 4 years as a county ADA AND go his LL M.  He speaks Spanish fluently, and was applying to District that is a predominately Spanish speaking area of Texas, so you would think he didn't need the LL M, but he didn't get the job until he graduated.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 02:50:43 PM »
Family law is a field where many new attorneys who go into private practice pay their bills.

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 09:28:04 PM »
Public service law, without a doubt. The only catch is that you'll be paying off your student loans for probably five years longer, maybe more.

mmhome

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
I am always surprised when people think that PD or prosecutor's offices are the refuge of the bottom of the class.  In my experience, those jobs are quite competitive because of the litigation experienee.  I clerked at a PD's office and was quite dismayed to see the stack of resumes from top students all applying for an entry level position. 

vaplaugh

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 12:34:42 PM »
I am always surprised when people think that PD or prosecutor's offices are the refuge of the bottom of the class.  In my experience, those jobs are quite competitive because of the litigation experienee.  I clerked at a PD's office and was quite dismayed to see the stack of resumes from top students all applying for an entry level position. 

And I'd guess those jobs will be more competitive if the Senate passes this: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:1:./temp/~c110ivQcc6::

EDIT:  Woops. Looks like that link doesn't work. http://www.washingtonwatch.com/bills/show/110_HR_893.html

Gwiz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Can't Touch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 01:53:25 PM »

And I'd guess those jobs will be more competitive if the Senate passes this: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:1:./temp/~c110ivQcc6::
[/quote]

They'er always passing something...
I wanna be a gunner when I grow up.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 02:24:17 AM »
I really hope that passes.  I really enjoy criminal law and would love to work for the public.  Being able to afford it would be wonderful.