Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thomas Cooley Students  (Read 52761 times)

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Cooley Students
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2008, 08:11:42 PM »
We understand your point.  It's not Cooley that makes you a dumbass.  A school does not affect one's level of intelligence.  However, your decision to go to Cooley indicates you very well may be a dumbass.  You said in an earlier post that you found out about Cooley's awful reputation after you already decided to attend.  How is it possible that you made the decision to attend that school without knowing about its reputation?  As a former banker/accountant/business owner, have you always made important decisions with your eyes closed? 

OkinawanLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2008, 08:37:20 PM »
well when i researched, i did see the negatives that people said.  but knowing that most of the negatives that people say about things usually stem from their ignorance of that thing, i came to the conclusion that there was nothing about the quality of the education.  it was just the superficial attitudes about the prospects afterwards.  i guess there is a significant part about myself that i am leaving out, because i do not plan on working for big law like some of you hope to.  I deal in the financial world.  I am and will always be a banker.  I will be overseas after i finish, and although I may transfer and i may not, I will make Way more than the lousy $40k that most of you all seem to think i will be stuck with.    Thats not my road.   the criterion i had was education.  is cooley hard, sounds like it.  do they dump alot of students?  yup.  is the grading structure insane?  i heard it is.  is the bar passage low...its pretty average across the country...higher than some, lower than some.

look i took and passed my  CPA-2000   first shot!  all sections
                                                  series 7- 2005  first shot

the bar is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier.   

so even though i might transfer, and as difficult as it may be, i still hold on the the decision ive made to go there now, not waste time, and get my degree.     the research to this extent is what i was refering to when i said that i heard the negs after i decided to go.   I Grilled the Admissions people for a long time, and im sure i got on some list because i asked alot of questions.   so what.

either way, telling me how much of a dum ass makes the person calling me the dumass look more like the dumass.    im there, let me deal with the consequences.  ME.     if all else fails, i will go back to banking...and still make more than the T1 grads.   I make more than them now!  or 2 months ago.    so telling me im not going to make any money which is your argument doesnt apply to me.    sorry. 

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2008, 10:17:03 PM »
either way, telling me how much of a dum ass makes the person calling me the dumass look more like the dumass.    

Here is a suggestion for you - work on your grammar, spelling, and argument structure.  You are going to have a tough time at ANY law school with your current writing style.
2L

Lawbster

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2008, 10:45:28 PM »
well when i researched, i did see the negatives that people said.  but knowing that most of the negatives that people say about things usually stem from their ignorance of that thing, i came to the conclusion that there was nothing about the quality of the education.  it was just the superficial attitudes about the prospects afterwards.  i guess there is a significant part about myself that i am leaving out, because i do not plan on working for big law like some of you hope to.  I deal in the financial world.  I am and will always be a banker.  I will be overseas after i finish, and although I may transfer and i may not, I will make Way more than the lousy $40k that most of you all seem to think i will be stuck with.    Thats not my road.   the criterion i had was education.  is cooley hard, sounds like it.  do they dump alot of students?  yup.  is the grading structure insane?  i heard it is.  is the bar passage low...its pretty average across the country...higher than some, lower than some.

look i took and passed my  CPA-2000   first shot!  all sections
                                                  series 7- 2005  first shot

the bar is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier.   

so even though i might transfer, and as difficult as it may be, i still hold on the the decision ive made to go there now, not waste time, and get my degree.     the research to this extent is what i was refering to when i said that i heard the negs after i decided to go.   I Grilled the Admissions people for a long time, and im sure i got on some list because i asked alot of questions.   so what.

either way, telling me how much of a dum ass makes the person calling me the dumass look more like the dumass.    im there, let me deal with the consequences.  ME.     if all else fails, i will go back to banking...and still make more than the T1 grads.   I make more than them now!  or 2 months ago.    so telling me im not going to make any money which is your argument doesnt apply to me.    sorry. 

Two things: Why do you say you don't care about the money and then proceed to tell people how you're great because you will make a lot of money?

Second, the series 7 can be easily passed with a weekend of training. I did that even. But what is the cpa-2000 exam? Did you make that up?

NYC2L

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
This may have been addressed by OkinawanLawyer in a previous post but I don't quite understand why you are going to law school. If you are a banker and will be working oversees and doing all these great things then why bother going to law school, especially Cooley? Why not pursue your career in finance? Get an MBA or something. Or, if you are merely interested in learning the law, why not get your law degree online? Then you could work in business and take law classes. I simply do not see what a law degree from Cooley is going to do for your career.

If you have addressed this previously, feel free to ignore this post.

OkinawanLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2008, 10:03:14 AM »
first of all, sentence structure, im on an internet forum.

second  i took the CPA exam in 2000  if you didnt understand that, then why didnt you ask me about the series 7 2005?

third, i bring up the point of money, because people are talking about the reason going to cooley is so bad is because they wont make anything when they graduate.   my point was that I make money now, and with my background, i will make money later.   Im not picking a school because i am going to try to work for BIGLAW when im done and that im seeking the $150+ salary coming out, I make that now.

as for why im going, im going because i am.   thats my biz.

first of all, i would like anyone that tells anyone else that it would be better for them to not go to law school at all, to also include when they went to cooley, where they ranked when they left (assuming they even went there)   or if you have never gone to cooley, where you go.   because as much as you all want to brag about the fact that you dont go to one school over another, im wondering why you are even at this thread?     you dont go, yet you have comments about it?   you have never gone, yet you have comments about it?   you will never go, yet you have comments about the people that do?

so im wondering what your motivation is.  is it to rag on those people you feel to be beneath you?  is it penis envy?   are you in the top 5% of your respective classes?   I bring up my previous history to detail that in certain arenas, some people are excellent at what they do.  I promise you that I could mop the floor with every single person on this forum and whom has ever been to this forum in the areas of forecasting and analysis with regard to banking and investments ( and I dont know who has ever been to this forum and really dont care)    yet, you people seem to think that my worth in life is based upon my school choice.  and your criterion is based upon how much money i will be able to make after i graduate, or lack thereof.   I point out that your reasoning is flawed because not only do i make more than most of you, but i will continue to.   I havn't worked for 2 months (granted without a law degree) and I know i have still made more than most of you will after you graduate.  does that matter?  not at all!

deflect all you want, my point is for all of you that have never gone to any school you rag on,  do not tell a person that has made a decision to go anywhere that you dont like, that it is better to not go to school at all, than it is to go there.    what motivates a person to show themselves to be a male private part like that and tell a person that?    I really dont get it.    Sports is one thing because its nonsensical, but when a person is chasing a dream, adding the pressure of "you might as well not go to school if you are going to go to cooley"  and you have never been there, know nobody there, and dont even know anyone 3 states over from it is just retarded to me.    but if thats how your parents raised you, if thats what you believe, and if thats how you plan to raise your kids to be, then good luck with that.

it would be better to not say a thing, maybe offer assistance on how to transfer from cooley, than it is to be a prick and tell a person they are stupid, a dumass, a moron, not worth anything....basically belittling people to make you feel good.     Thats just simply feminine hygiene product-ish to me and most people.

All of you can jump on me all you like, apparently none of you can read, because you keep harping on the same thing.   I have not praised cooley at all, i havnt even stepped into the place.     im just trying to got the few of you that are belittling the people that do go there.   

their admissions policy is OPEN.     answer this.  say all of a sudden, HLS decides to grant everyone that applies there a seat.    some say 10000 people.  and after the first term, of the 10000 l1's 9000 are booted.  after the second term another 300 are booted.   education doesnt change, the profs are the same, and they ended up with the same number of students they would have with the same LSAT averages and UGPA as they did before they made the move.  with a few people slipping through that were significantly lower.     then harvard (whom mind you is changing their standards with regards to lower income students being given free tuition undergrad) decides to do this again for the next 5 years.  Their reason for this is they are protesting the Bias of the USNWP ranking system,  so they like cooley decides to have an open admission policy.  but you still have  to make the grade.  HLS understands that employers also have this superficial bias, so they are giving more students the opportunity to also have HLS on their degree that ordinarily wouldnt.   and with this experiment, of the 10000 seats filled with L1's, 5000 are wack students by you all's standards  sub 3.0 ugpa and sub 160 lsat score.  of the 5000, 300 actually do a good job and finish in various percentiles.  does that make harvard immediately a garbage school?  do the people that attended HLS during those dates have an Asterisk by their name on their resume, like they are roger clemmons or something?  because you didnt go there, does that automatically make you better?    unless you are in the top "only you" percentile....you are an idiot to someone else too.   remember that.

i'll tell you what, like i said, i might transfer, i might not.  but if i do, ill keep everyone here, especially those douchebags that keep trying to clown others, where i go, and whether or not i find it difficult to make that move.

as for my grammar and spelling and punctuation and whatever......ummm, you can read it cant you.   and you can understand what im talking about, so it really doesnt matter what and how i misspell anything.    I guess there is a class in school, that im going to miss because im going to go to cooley that teaches you how to not misspell a word on an internet forum.   thats going to limit me forever in life.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2008, 11:33:13 AM »
If Harvard accepted 100000 people then failed out all but 300 (which their class size is significantly larger then that anyway, but irrelevant), then the school would be terrible.  It would be a dishonest place that gave underqualified kids false expectations and false hopes cause no one goes in thinking they will fail. 

That said, I am glad in a way cooley lets anyone attend because so many people, if not given the opportunity, would think "if just someone let me in, I would do great."  Either way though, I still think the education is crappy there.  I say this because of the socratic method.  You learn through your peers.  I wouldnt want someone with a sub 145 lsat be socratized (yea, I made that word up).  You couldnt imagine how miserable it is listening to top 20 kids when they get called on. 

Anyway, you do what you want.  I think its an absolutely unwise choice if you are making 150K+ a year now to go on to law school, but we all have our reasons. 

And, if you do transfer, good luck to you.

Oh, and I do know people that went there.  There is a paralegal and my friend's firm (two attorney general practice firm) that is a cooley drop/fail out.

OkinawanLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2008, 12:06:53 PM »
thore, thats an honest response.  again, i have not been to class yet, and yes if i am learning with (at best) questionable students, then that is a reason to be cautious.  its not not a matter of putting someones hopes high.  when you were a kid of say 9 and you said you wanted to be a fireman, but you didnt have any arms or legs, should everyone have come up to you telling you to stop!  you will be nothing better than a paperweight?!   see my point.  What it sounds like is that the L1 season is the most questionable because of the teaching method, but afterwards, it would be on par with any other school within its tier grouping plus or minus a few that are higher.

I understand the pecking order.  i know that Harvard business school is better than oklahoma state business school.   I know that oklahoma state physical therapy program is best in the nation..including harvard, if they have one.  so i understand.

and as to my pay, the reason i dont want to do financials like i do now is that I want to go back to japan, and without explaining the complexities involved, the road I am going may or may not pay the same as what i am making and or have been making, but it will get me out of this country.  My fluid understanding of what i do now, along with my legal degree, will assist me with some of the international work i will be doing.  and contrary to what you all may think, my prospects are well beyond the $150k mark.     again, it helps to know my background and reasons, along with prospects which none of you do.

thank you for your relevant response.  with all the stupid ones, i appreciate it.

but it still doesnt make any sense though, that you say that because they are more liberal in their admissions policy, that it makes the school bad.   if you are saying that, then you are also saying that the level of education is garbage.  so if a school only allowed 10 people per term...that would be the best school?   regardless of level of education?

i grew up overseas, and in my opinion, every school in the us: high school/primary and the like is garbage.  because i know my schools in japan were so much better....RANKED #1 in the WORLD!    my proof, the abysmal level of graduations, the courses offered and the fact that americans dont know where anything is let alone know capitols, have language skills, and have never been anywhere.    yet almost all of you came from that?  does that automatically make you an idiot because you went to elem/high school here in the US?  no! 

i think the fact that because cooley allows people in that shouldnt be, that you cannot consider the fact that there are people that go there, that could survive at any other school.   your flaw is your generalization without proof.     you go to court making a generalization like that without absolute proof and you will be eaten alive!

seems like people that go to cooley are more than likely to kill others-you

how do you figure?-judge

because they went to cooley, i mean c'mon?!-you

GTFOH!!!   judgement for the defendant-judge

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2008, 12:51:18 PM »
"i think the fact that because cooley allows people in that shouldnt be, that you cannot consider the fact that there are people that go there, that could survive at any other school.   your flaw is your generalization without proof.     you go to court making a generalization like that without absolute proof and you will be eaten alive!"

First, your economic reasons seem though through, so I wont address that as I really do not know about your personal finances, but whatever.  The quoted section make sense to me though.  The flaw with Cooley is that they let in people that couldnt survive at other law schools.  In a sense, it is unfair to those students that attend.  when 30% of the class fails out, it has got to suck for that 30%.  Granted, the other 70% may be intelligent and may be able to make it at another school, but the 30% dont go in thinking they will fail out, yet they do.  Its an expensive process and seems awfully deceptive. In professional responsibility, there is a rule that when someone's interests are directly opposed to you, and you are in a fiduciary relationship, you have a duty of clear and perfect candor with respect to your disclosures to the students.  It seems like you will be okay whether you are successful at law school or not, but others have a lot more riding on it and arent well informed of the prospects of graduating or job prospects upon graduation.  Many of the posters on here go to elite schools and have witnessed first hand the limited job prospects for students at these schools.  Eventually though, everyone here will graduate with at least a C average and find a job somewhere and pay the loans back.  I dont think the same success is guaranteed or possibly even the norm at Cooley.

Now, I wont personally knock your decision to attend, you clearly have exit options planned out and alternative careers.  However, there are many people with false expectations that read this thread and none of us what to see them scammed. 

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2008, 12:52:50 PM »

but it still doesnt make any sense though, that you say that because they are more liberal in their admissions policy, that it makes the school bad.    if you are saying that, then you are also saying that the level of education is garbage.  so if a school only allowed 10 people per term...that would be the best school?   regardless of level of education?

i dont think that was the argument.  the argument is that schools like cooley are fundamentally dishonest and therefore "bad" schools because they give underqualified students false expectations (while the school collects big bucks in tuition dollars).

as far as level of education is concered, again, that was not the argument. the argument is that the level of education is that your education at a school like cooley is significatly lower than T1 school x because of the lower level of discussion/learning in the classroom, which is many times, if not most of the time, a product of your peers responses/comments etc..