Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thomas Cooley Students  (Read 53125 times)

Joe Danveport

• View Profile
Re: Thomas Cooley Students
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 02:43:11 PM »
I went to Cooley, transferred to a T1 and will take my last final of law school tomorrow.  Here's my take:

Law school sucks.  Period.  It sounds like Mike has had a great experience, but more often than not, law school is worse than you can imagine.  Only those that have experienced it can relate.  That being said, you'll have your moments of glory; the thrill of victory, if you will.  However, the agony of potential defeat will hang over your head like an ominous thundercloud on a summer day.  I don't care whether you're competitive or not; want to practice BigLaw or not; just want to "do something you like" for a change; it sucks.  Some people thrive - most don't.  Don't bank on being one of the former.

Cooley will bend over backwards to help you - Mike's right, however, like he said, some just aren't cut out for it for one reason or another.  Don't lie to yourself. 

Job prospects - Suck.  Period.  I'm graduating top 1/3, have clerked for over a year, volunteered 1L summer, made contacts, have a reasonably good personality, and have yet to secure a position.  It "ain't easy," my friend.  And coming out of Cooley is not going to help, especially out of state.  You better have GOOD contacts back home - like hiring partners or the like - unless you are willing to look long and hard for a $40k job.  Eveyone says they have GREAT contacts.  Sure, you do.  Unless they've literally offered you a job, don't count your chickens...  There are exceptions.  Don't bank on being one. 

Transferring - Top 1/3, you'll get out.  Top 1/5, mid-high T2.  Top 1/10, T1.  Tough to estimate the possibilites of transferring into T20.  A few make it.  These stats are about dead nuts right on, I promise.  Again, don't bank on it.  Cooley's grading is brutal.  Absolutely brutal. 

Classmates - Some incredibly kind and sharp people.  There are many others that shouldn't be there.  There's a noticeable "ghetto style" element you'll see around in class and in the area.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but anyone considering Cooley should be aware of it. 

Bottom Line - Sure, you get out of it what you put into it.  Cooley gave me a shot and I'll always appreciate that, but there are some serious issues that should be considered before anyone decides to attend.

If you go - stay positive.  Don't procrastinate.  Make friends and get active in something.  Make professional contacts.  Get good grades.  Take control of your destiny.  And remember, no one owes you anything.  You are entitled to nothing.  Do your best and aim high, but keep your expectations low and you won't ever be disappointed :)

djdvine

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - dj_dvine
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 08:28:01 PM »
Joe:
Thanks for the advice!  Can you talk a little more about transfering out?  How and When did you start the process, how did you approach your professors, and the shcool about it?  Where did you transfer to, and what was your class rank when you did? 

Also, what housing can you reccomend that is within walking distance to the school?  I don't want to live in the ghetto, but I was thinking about spending $600 / month for rent...is that reasonable? 
Thanks again,

Dave

I went to Cooley, transferred to a T1 and will take my last final of law school tomorrow.  Here's my take:

Law school sucks.  Period.  It sounds like Mike has had a great experience, but more often than not, law school is worse than you can imagine.  Only those that have experienced it can relate.  That being said, you'll have your moments of glory; the thrill of victory, if you will.  However, the agony of potential defeat will hang over your head like an ominous thundercloud on a summer day.  I don't care whether you're competitive or not; want to practice BigLaw or not; just want to "do something you like" for a change; it sucks.  Some people thrive - most don't.  Don't bank on being one of the former.

Cooley will bend over backwards to help you - Mike's right, however, like he said, some just aren't cut out for it for one reason or another.  Don't lie to yourself. 

Job prospects - Suck.  Period.  I'm graduating top 1/3, have clerked for over a year, volunteered 1L summer, made contacts, have a reasonably good personality, and have yet to secure a position.  It "ain't easy," my friend.  And coming out of Cooley is not going to help, especially out of state.  You better have GOOD contacts back home - like hiring partners or the like - unless you are willing to look long and hard for a $40k job.  Eveyone says they have GREAT contacts.  Sure, you do.  Unless they've literally offered you a job, don't count your chickens...  There are exceptions.  Don't bank on being one. 

Transferring - Top 1/3, you'll get out.  Top 1/5, mid-high T2.  Top 1/10, T1.  Tough to estimate the possibilites of transferring into T20.  A few make it.  These stats are about dead nuts right on, I promise.  Again, don't bank on it.  Cooley's grading is brutal.  Absolutely brutal. 

Classmates - Some incredibly kind and sharp people.  There are many others that shouldn't be there.  There's a noticeable "ghetto style" element you'll see around in class and in the area.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but anyone considering Cooley should be aware of it. 

Bottom Line - Sure, you get out of it what you put into it.  Cooley gave me a shot and I'll always appreciate that, but there are some serious issues that should be considered before anyone decides to attend.

If you go - stay positive.  Don't procrastinate.  Make friends and get active in something.  Make professional contacts.  Get good grades.  Take control of your destiny.  And remember, no one owes you anything.  You are entitled to nothing.  Do your best and aim high, but keep your expectations low and you won't ever be disappointed :)

monkey8885

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 08:00:15 PM »

I just back from a visit at Cooley and it seems like a good place. I agree that after 2 hours of driving around looking for a place to stay close to the school, that I will be living on the outskirts and possibly commuting in...Other than that any advice would be awesome!
Christy

djdvine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 09:53:48 PM »
Chrissy...really?  you couldn't find anywhere close that looked nice enough to live?  Hmmm, that makes me nervous.  What kind of prices are you looking at on the outskirts?  Actually, which complex?  I'm looking to go out there at the end of June and try to look.  Are you starting in the Fall?  We should keep in touch. PM me if you want.

Dave

I just back from a visit at Cooley and it seems like a good place. I agree that after 2 hours of driving around looking for a place to stay close to the school, that I will be living on the outskirts and possibly commuting in...Other than that any advice would be awesome!
Christy

Floyd77803

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 07:48:28 PM »
I finished up my 1L at cooley a few weeks ago, and I have to agree with what i've read above.  There are some really smart people at cooley and there are also a lot of people who should not be going to law school.  I did pretty well first semester and applied to a few schools as an early action transfer; I was accepted at one of them (high tier 2), still waiting to hear from the rest.  It is true that cooley has a bad rep but I honestly feel that the quality of the education you'll receive is top notch.  The grading is tough, I think in my section the average was around 2.3 for the first semester.  That being said the class rank is the most important thing to concentrate on if you're interested in transfering.

If you're looking for a place to live check out pine street apartments, I just moved out a few weeks ago.  I paid $470 for a one bedroom apartment that was pretty sizeable (heat, water, trash included in rent).  It's not the most modern place but it is cheap, clean and only 4 blocks from the cooley center 

djdvine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 07:11:58 PM »
Great job Floyd!  I love to hear succsess stories!  Congratulations on the transfer.  Can you explain what the early action is?  I'm not really familiar with that or the process.  What schedule did you take while you were at Cooley?  How many credits did you take?  What are you going to do this summer?  Internship, or relax?  Any advice on study techniques, or anything to improve class rank, please let me know.  Thanks!

Take Care...
Dave

I finished up my 1L at cooley a few weeks ago, and I have to agree with what i've read above.  There are some really smart people at cooley and there are also a lot of people who should not be going to law school.  I did pretty well first semester and applied to a few schools as an early action transfer; I was accepted at one of them (high tier 2), still waiting to hear from the rest.  It is true that cooley has a bad rep but I honestly feel that the quality of the education you'll receive is top notch.  The grading is tough, I think in my section the average was around 2.3 for the first semester.  That being said the class rank is the most important thing to concentrate on if you're interested in transfering.

If you're looking for a place to live check out pine street apartments, I just moved out a few weeks ago.  I paid $470 for a one bedroom apartment that was pretty sizeable (heat, water, trash included in rent).  It's not the most modern place but it is cheap, clean and only 4 blocks from the cooley center 

Floyd77803

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 01:24:02 PM »
There are only a handful of schools that will accept transfer students based on just their first semester grades, that is  what I meant by early action.  Only one of my second semester grades has been released so far; they aren't due until next monday.  Having an early start on transfering has obvious advantages with financial aid, housing, OCI etc.  I was on the 15 credit schedule my first year.  My entire section WAS taking 15 credits but roughly 2/3 dropped down to 12 after orientation.  I guess it really depends on the type of student you are.  They will tell you that you need to put 3 hours of reading/studying in for every 1 hour of class, but that is absurd.  That would 60 hours/week for the full class load.    I'd say I probably spent more like 1.5 hours on reading/studying for every hour of class.  It just depends on how long it takes you to read and to understand the concepts.  I felt the 15 credit/hour schedule was fine, a lot of people might disagree, but the grades don't lie.  Of the people from my section who made the deans list, the vast majority were taking 5 classes rather than just 4.  As for this summer, I have an unpaid internship at a legal aid clinic.  It's something i'm doing to get some practical experience.  Many of my classmates decided to get a headstart by taking a few classes over the summer.  The only advice I can give is to always do you're reading before class and to make your own outlines.  Try not to buy any suppplements unless the professor really sucks, you want to keep in mind that the prof is giving you the grade so you want to learn their law.   

MIbound

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 02:52:56 PM »
Floyd - Do you know whether schools you looked at transferring to specifically want to see 15 versus 12 credits per term?  Curious whether schools looking at transfer applicants have a minimum requirement on credits to be considered for transfer. Thanks in advance.

beaverfuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 09:58:49 PM »
To be on schedule with most other schools at the end of the year, don't you need to take the 15? I would think you would only be able to transfer if your first year coincides with the school you are looking to move to. That is just my gut reaction, not based in fact or experience at all...

Floyd77803

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 12:35:13 PM »
That would make sense but it doesn't seem to be the case.  Either the 12 or 15 credit hour schedule will put you in good position to transfer, but really grades and class rank are the key.  Keep in mind that the 12 credit hour schedule is year round.  A lot of kids who were hoping to transfer took 12 the first two semesters and then 6 over the summer (ie 30 credits total; most school will only transfer 30 credits).  Even though I was on the "traditional" schedule, i'm still going to have to take civil procedure with the 1L's when I transfer.  For whatever reason, civ pro is not given to students on the 15 hour schedule (you get con law instead; many schools teach this second year).  It seems to me from my limited experience on the subject, that when it comes to transferring the number one factor is a good class rank.