Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: International students and job employment  (Read 7518 times)

KeNo

• ninjamonkey!
    • View Profile
International students and job employment
« on: April 25, 2007, 06:25:35 PM »
Hey people, I understand this isn't really a 100% appropriate board, but then again, there really isn't any better suited either, so I'm gonna try my luck here.

I'm starting law school in the US this fall, and I'm a Norwegian citizen, thus an international student. What I am wondering is this; when applying for jobs, the employer must be willing to vouch/get me a green card / work permit. Is this something that is likely to make it more difficult to get good jobs - that is, be noticably better qualified than the people I compete with, or is this procedure of getting green card trivial enough for it to be a minor issue for any law firm?

Not sure if there's enough international students or people who know some internationals to answer this, but I'm hoping at least.
NYU'10

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
Re: International students and job employment
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 05:00:19 AM »
it will be a pain in the ass for firms, but if you are at NYU i bet you have no problem.
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

KeNo

• ninjamonkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 10:26:12 AM »
Alright, I can live with that :)
NYU'10

lizette112162

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 11:29:44 PM »
how did it work out?

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 02:00:18 PM »
I know an English student at a school ranked much lower than NYU who had no trouble finding paid employment as a 1L.  This was at a medium size firm too, so I would think larger firms would be just as willing if not more so. 

He also has Oxford on his resume, but im not sure how much that matters. 

PJP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 02:11:15 PM »
I think if you do internet search, you might be able to find a list of employers who sponsor H1B or green card.  Usually bigger firms have the resource to sponsor people if they believe you are an asset to the firm.  Smaller the firm gets, and more competitive the job is, it will become more difficult in general.  You'd have an extra job to persuade the employer not only why to hire you but to provide the service to sponsor your visa (it costs them $$).  Nothing is impossible.  If you haven't started school already, I wouldn't worry about this unless this is a material condition that affects your willingness to even start law school in US.  Get ready for school instead.

evaditya

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 11:19:22 AM »
I feel much better after reading this post. I got admitted into Fordham but was a bit worried about if Law firms sponsor work visas or not.
Seems like with good grades, I should be able to find a firm willing to sponsor my work visa (H1B)