Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Response E-mails (Lawyer Professionalism)  (Read 685 times)

BME_Law

• View Profile
Response E-mails (Lawyer Professionalism)
« on: April 25, 2007, 05:03:54 PM »
What is the typical turnaround time for a response e-mail from a lawyer?  When I receive an e-mail, I usually respond as soon as I am finished reading it (unless it is late at night or early in the morning, then I will wait).  However, I recently sent a few e-mails and have not heard anything back yet (one I sent 9 days ago and two others I sent 7 days ago).  These people were expecting the e-mail, so it was not just some random person sending them something.

I understand that I am not their colleague (yet), but I just find this to be disrespectful and unprofessional.  How do you all feel about this?

vaplaugh

Re: Response E-mails (Lawyer Professionalism)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 05:23:44 PM »
I know a lot of lawyers that are bad with e-mails.  It's not a profession thing, though, just an individual thing.  I never know whether to send them a "Hey, did you get my e-mail" e-mail a few weeks later.  I sometimes do so.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 05:36:02 PM »
I have only encountered one lawyer who ever responded to my emails with any regularity.  The rest are a bunch of pricks who don't respond to anything and that includes letters, follow up letters, phone calls and voicemails.  There are only a handful of courteous lawyers.  I hate to say it but what you are experiencing is likely to be the norm unless they are billing you for their time.

BME_Law

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 06:14:12 PM »
It's funny that you mention phone calls and voicemails.  I made a call and left a message, but did not hear back.  So I finally called back and left another message.  About 10 minutes later I got a call back from the paralegal with the necessary information.  I guess it pays to be somewhat persistent.

Sorry that it's happened to you guys, but at least I know I'm not the only one. 

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 07:16:32 PM »
I think a lot of lawyers are just really busy and they have priorities. When they finally get around to having a chance to return an email, sometimes it's just too late and they figure if it's important, you'll send another email. I used to work at a very busy job where I got a ton of emails. If I returned them all, I never would have gotten any work done. I wouldn't take it personal.

vaplaugh

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 09:03:19 PM »
I have only encountered one lawyer who ever responded to my emails with any regularity.  The rest are a bunch of pricks who don't respond to anything and that includes letters, follow up letters, phone calls and voicemails.  There are only a handful of courteous lawyers.  I hate to say it but what you are experiencing is likely to be the norm unless they are billing you for their time.

I love this video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5TkuZ5oI9uY

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 09:09:26 PM »

I love this video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5TkuZ5oI9uY

lol, thanks for sharing.  That was pretty hilarious.

latenitesession

• Sr. Citizen
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 11:26:47 PM »
either be patient or just follow up. From my experience, the best thing to do is pick up the phone and call them. You need them, not vice versa, so be persistent and show them you care.
Fordham (PT)