Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Syracuse Class of 2010  (Read 11014 times)

mizzmj

• View Profile
Re: Syracuse Class of 2010
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 12:35:51 AM »
OP, good luck!

I am enjoying my experience at Syracuse.  It has its flaws, but all law schools do.  The city of syracuse is interesting, to say the least.  But the institution itself is pretty fine and it is making strides to improve upon its weaknesses; for all of that money, they'd better.  ;)

ojbarbosa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
.. sucks to hear so many bad things about the city, but I dont have much of an option now.

so... is anybody selling 1L books?. anyone recommends a place to buy used books?
is that law textbook reservation program any.. good?.. if i can get the books cheaper somewhere else, i rather do that. any advise?

oh..
anyone doing a double with Maxwell?

txs
OJ

Cuse2L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 12:45:43 PM »

.. sucks to hear so many bad things about the city, but I dont have much of an option now.

so... is anybody selling 1L books?. anyone recommends a place to buy used books?
is that law textbook reservation program any.. good?.. if i can get the books cheaper somewhere else, i rather do that. any advise?

Don't listen to what bashers have to say about Syracuse.  Yes, the city is extremely ghetto, but the reality is the tuition at Syracuse and your employment prospects coming out of Syracuse will be pretty much the exact same as most other T2/3 schools out there.  I have friends at T1 schools and their job prospects and placement are only fractionally better than Syracuse.  The reality is, there is not some magical distinction between law schools that helps you get a fabulous job over grads of other schools.  Unless you are at an Ivy League caliber school at one end of the spectrum, or a bottom feeding garbage heap at the other end, your career path right out of school is largely determined by grades, connections, and sheer luck. 

Anyways, in regards to textbooks; they are a huge racket.  In my opinion, you should purchase your textbooks used online, preferably a two or three year old edition.  You will save hundreds and hundreds of dollars, and honestly, the two or three cases your two year old book doesn't have you can read online for free.  Remember this, when you graduate, you will have a debt load of around 150K, unless you are on scholarship.  Amortizing that debt over years of payback magnifies every extra dollar you spend.  I would highly advise purchasing used books online, I wish I would have my first year, I could have saved a ton. 

mizzmj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 01:55:21 AM »

I'm not selling my textbooks, but I am selling a few study aids.

Here's my e-bay store/account:

http://shops.half.ebay.com/sjcsopralto_W0QQmZbooks

Red Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 06:52:31 PM »
Misery loves company especially at $41,000 dollars a year for tuition.  This is pretty steep when Harvard Law is only charging $39,325 a year for tuition.  Of course, it's more expensive to live in Boston so the costs associated with that are higher.

Are you going to get a Harvard job? No? Well, at least SUCOL's faculty, staff, and administration are getting paid. 

Another good question to ask is whether the director of career services will call up a firm downtown so you can work.  No?  It's been done.  I hope those people are contributing to a scholarship fund for everyone else who won't get this kind of help.     

It is one thing to be an undergrad at Syracuse and it is quite another to be a law student.

Red Cell 

Morethanever

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 01:55:10 PM »
Wow!  I am so glad that I didn't go all the way to Syracuse.  Red Cell, I'm sure that there are some personal reasons why you feel so strongly about Syracuse, but I still feel confident that you are close to the target in your assessments.  Thanks again for the honest insight ... it very well may have made a big difference in my future.

Red Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 12:50:33 AM »
I do it as a professional courtesy and I would do it for anyone. 

This time, however, I do it for a dead man.

His eyes are wandering around a city.

And right on cue, a dirty little group of 'cuse alums begin to secretly sob on shoulders.   The crying gang...

Good for Syracuse. 

I know my life is not complete until I have destroyed a dead man's kid in front of everyone.     

If anyone is keeping score that is one for the dead man's kid.     

Red Cell