Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Syracuse Class of 2010  (Read 11225 times)

Morethanever

• View Profile
Syracuse Class of 2010
« on: April 25, 2007, 01:19:59 PM »
Is there anyone else out there that has been accepted to Syracuse class of 2010?  I was accepted the other day and I wanted to get some opinions and insights.  Anyone sure that they are going?  I am 95% sure that I will be and I wanted to see what others might think about the school, city, and people.

Red Cell

• View Profile
Re: Syracuse Class of 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 02:10:20 PM »
Be prepared to spend a tremendous amount of money on a program that could care less about you.  If you are accepted elsewhere you may want to reconsider; however, if you have your heart set on Syracuse then here are some tips: start looking for a position now, do not participate in the externship program with the US Attorneys Office,NDNY, go to Maxwell and get a degree from that school. 

Ignore the faculty because they won't fight for you as a student any day.  That it is a huge issue, because you are spending too much time, money, and intellect to sit around a faculty that does not give a flying you know what about you.

If you do not graduate with a single honor out the law school but you have degree out of Maxwell you can walk over to Maxwell and they will find you a job.  If you do well first year, I would consider transferring to another program.  It does work for those who have worked their whole lives to have a legal career.

Red Cell

mizzmj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 03:10:46 AM »
Red Cell, what year are you?

I'm a soon to be 2L, and I'm curious about the the experiences that you've had at SUCOL.  You sound really bitter, so I am wondering how they've done you wrong.  For the record, I am not being sarcastic. Thanks.

Red Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 09:14:03 PM »
I weep, because I need to do an intervention.  First, I hope no one cosigned for your loans.  Second, if you are not hired for $135,000 then it is time to consider Maxwell or Newhouse for a second degree.  Third, if you are hired then you can play third year while the other little oranges are sweating it out but do not sit around them.   

For the 95% who are sitting around with no serious people to help them out, in ten years the college of law may remember that it reflects poorly on the university to have people working in menial jobs and decide it is time to find you a position or tell you that need another form in order to sit for a bar.       

Remember, the employment statistics coincide with the grace period on your loans.  The office does not break this down into actual positions.  In other words, are you waiting tables at Denny's or working as a bouncer?  Syracuse could not possibly care less just as long as you check a box and pay up.  You did not pay any less for your education. 

You know what is great--when the Denny's person passes the bar exam and the $135,000 associate does not pass it.   

You are paying too much for this type of incompetence.  Ask every alum, how many times it took you to pass the bar exam.  5 times?  3 times?  This waxes and wanes. 

Go up to career services.  Ask whoever is there,"how much are you being paid to sit and do nothing?" If you are the 95% who are not being helped professionally , your response to this person should be,"I want your job."           

For whatever reason, this little college of law thinks that it is acceptable to act in this manner.  Entire careers are destroyed as a result of this behavior.  This is professionally irresponsible, and it is just short of a scam. 

We have the worst alumni group in the history of this university.  They are an excellent example of corporate psychos.  It reflects poorly on our university. 

Finally, orange.  It is the color of prison garb, and it is beckoning some of those alums.  Go sit.  I will be the one with the cheshire cat grin, because I know who is going to go.  It is only going to take one good polygraph to start the hunt.  "F" is for felony.  The race is on.  Who can find a felony? 

Red Cell         

Morethanever

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 04:31:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice ....  I have actually been hearing a lot of negatives about the city and administration.  Also, I have been waiting for several weeks to find out about a scholarship that I should have already had.  The person with whom I have been in contact won't return my calls either.  This is making me a little nervous; and so is what I have heard about the city of Syracuse - very depressed I have heard.

Thanks for the insight and I will definitely be taking the info you provided into consideration.

wardwilliams

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 07:54:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice ....  I have actually been hearing a lot of negatives about the city and administration.  Also, I have been waiting for several weeks to find out about a scholarship that I should have already had.  The person with whom I have been in contact won't return my calls either.  This is making me a little nervous; and so is what I have heard about the city of Syracuse - very depressed I have heard.

Thanks for the insight and I will definitely be taking the info you provided into consideration.

I had been thinkin about going to syracuse but am glad i decided not to. I can vouch that the city is shockingly depressed

pistolpete23

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 12:02:59 AM »
I had been thinkin about going to syracuse but am glad i decided not to. I can vouch that the city is shockingly depressed

You should come visit Newark sometime...

God I miss the 'Cuse

Red Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 07:19:05 PM »
You do not need to finance the lifestyles of the administration, faculty or staff.

They are well-compensated for what little services they provide to the profession. 

Red Cell   

pistolpete23

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 07:11:35 PM »
Do you really find Syracuse to be "shockingly depressing?"

I'm pretty shocked to read that. Though I must admit that much of the Northeast, with a few exceptions, can be a little depressing at times. Well, at least in economic terms.

Morethanever

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 10:54:04 PM »
Thanks for all of the information.  Personally, I have decided not to attend Syracuse, and I will instead be attending Law School in Alabama.  Thanks again for the replies and good luck to all.