Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Con law take home exam: given 5 years earlier, model answer available online  (Read 2451 times)

GA-fan

Confirmed rumor from a reliable source- a certain law school prof just recycled a one-question exam where the model answer was available. No word yet as to what the school is going to do- a bunch of students supposedly turned themselves in and admitted they'd seen the model answer...
more details to come. If you were school, how would you handle it? you can't really give a new exam, you can't give grades based on essay quality. Pass/fail?

ashley06

• Yes, I am crude and insufferable. Bite me.
    • View Profile
If you were school, how would you handle it?

Pass/fail, and hope that the professor in question had not yet been granted tenure so that he/she may be fired with prejudice.   8)
Attending: FSU
Accepted:  Barry ($$$), FCSL ($$), Stetson ($$), Ole Miss, UF, Memphis, Miami (FL)
Waitlisted:  UGA(W)
Rejected:

phosita

• View Profile
I don't think the ABA rules allow for pass/fail grading in a required class like Con Law.
I'm not sure if this would be allowable either, but they could base the grade off a paper to be written in the fall that also satisfies a writing requirement for the students. 

Why so gung-ho to fire the prof? I don't think we have enough info to pass that kind of judgment.

ashley06

• Yes, I am crude and insufferable. Bite me.
    • View Profile
If the professor was sloppy/lazy enough to use the exact same exam a second time, he/she shouldn't be teaching the law to others.  JMHO, of course.

Let us know how this turns out!
Attending: FSU
Accepted:  Barry ($$$), FCSL ($$), Stetson ($$), Ole Miss, UF, Memphis, Miami (FL)
Waitlisted:  UGA(W)
Rejected:

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
This exact thing happened to me in my Family Law class last summer.  The professor used a word-for-word past exam as the exam, and 2 weeks later, she admitted that some students came forward and admitted that they had seen the past exam.  Thus, we were all graded on a pass/fail basis.  I'm not too sure if they could do this for a required class, but they sure did it with this important substantive course.

mirror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I don't think the ABA rules allow for pass/fail grading in a required class like Con Law.
I'm not sure if this would be allowable either, but they could base the grade off a paper to be written in the fall that also satisfies a writing requirement for the students. 

Why so gung-ho to fire the prof? I don't think we have enough info to pass that kind of judgment.

Why not?  the ABA doesn't seem to have a problem with it at Yale

phosita

• View Profile

Why not?  the ABA doesn't seem to have a problem with it at Yale

I stand corrected then. :)