Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LEEWS, BarBri, Law Preview, etc. Which ones have served you well?  (Read 1091 times)

IF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Like many others on here, I'm a 0L seeking advice from those of you who have gone before me.  For those of you who have taken these, or know people who have, what is the general consensus?  LEEWS seems to enjoy popular support, but I've heard others dog it. The other two the same, but to a lesser extent. 

For those that support them, why?  For those who don't, how much of this is due to not doing enough, and how much is to the system failing you or them? 

Many thanks to those who take the time to help us all out.
UVA, 2010

It's the place.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: LEEWS, BarBri, Law Preview, etc. Which ones have served you well?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 07:14:54 AM »
I liked LEEWS.  A lot of it is common sense, but some of it is not, and sometimes having everything laid out for you, whether or not you'd eventually figure it out, is very helpful.  The guy is pretty full of himself, but if you can just ignore that, it's not bad.  The CD program is great because you can sort of fast forward something you don't think is helpful.  The Primer is probably the most important part.  I'm not sure how much of my exam grades I'd attribute to LEEWS, but if I had to do it over again, I'd still use the program.

vaplaugh

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 09:25:46 AM »
Has anyone listened to LEEWS and read Getting to Maybe?  Do they serve the same function?  Is one seen as better than the other (not counting the fact that you read one and listen to the other)?

Chibundu

• Sr. Citizen
  • PrimeTime!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bunz
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 10:27:23 AM »
tag
Bunz

SMU!!!!!

But still waiting to be called upon to be a Cougar-- UHLC

Law School 2007 Either Way!!!!

sblount

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 10:32:54 AM »
Hey, I'm a 0L as well.  I have read Getting to Maybe, and I just got leews in the mail.  I haven't done the whole program yet, but I've looked through the primer and read some of the introductory stuff.  I thought Getting to Maybe was fine.  Lots about issue spotting, "forks in the road" in terms of gray areas in the law and how to spot them.  It does talk about how to write exams, and gives alternatives to IRAC.  I certainly enjoyed reading it (it's an easy read), and I thought it put some good ideas in my head. 
It's definitely not the same thing as leews though.  Just from what I've read in the introductory materials and what I saw in the primer, leews is much more hands on, and comprehensive in terms of teaching you how to write exam answers, and how to prepare for exams all semester (how to brief cases so that your briefs are geared towards potential exam questions, etc).  I don't know if I'll follow the system to a T, I usually end up doing my own thing, but I really like that leews really teaches you, and makes you practice, their system.  If you're going to either read Getting to Maybe or do Leews, I would do Leews, but get the cds, I think that's better than a one day class.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 03:03:40 PM »
Barbri is the bar review service I think, that deals with substantive subject matters, the other two are more what to do at law school.  You will eventually have to take a bar prep, 99% of students use a bar review course whether it be barbri or micromash or whatever, unless you are insane and think you can study for the bar with no material.  People who sign up for barbri get free barbri information, outlines, and can watch videos for the subjects they are taking. 
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 04:16:29 PM »
Barbri is the bar review service I think, that deals with substantive subject matters, the other two are more what to do at law school.  You will eventually have to take a bar prep, 99% of students use a bar review course whether it be barbri or micromash or whatever, unless you are insane and think you can study for the bar with no material.  People who sign up for barbri get free barbri information, outlines, and can watch videos for the subjects they are taking. 

I think BarBri has started to offer a law prep/preview course, too.  I guess they weren't making enough money off their $3000 bar review courses.

IF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 07:31:45 PM »
Many thanks to everyone who posted
UVA, 2010

It's the place.