Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Department of Justice vs. Prosecutor's office  (Read 1680 times)

i2ad10head

• View Profile
Department of Justice vs. Prosecutor's office
« on: April 24, 2007, 08:40:58 PM »
Hi, i just landed two jobs for the summer but do not know which one to take.  I am confused because i want a job that would best help me acquire the legal experience.  The DoJ job will deal with mostly investigative projects (i'll be working directly with the head attorney), very little legal writing or research or prosecution will be done, but man does it sound exciting, and to top it all off, it looks incredibily nice on my resume for future law firm employers.  They are going to pay me 25$ an hour (with benefits).  The office i'll be working at is gorgeous and top notch professional (last floor in major city building)  And yea, i am really broke with debt

The Prosecutors office isn't for pay, it's rather an externship position and much eaiser to get.  They will however provide me with all the legal experience i want.  I would do a lot of legal writing, research and sometimes i'll be arguing in front of a judge (that's what they told me).  I will dealing with witnesses and will be allowed to watch prosecutors in action.  Sounds exciting to, but not as prestigeous as the former job.

What do you guys think? which job should i take?

Lucero

• View Profile
Re: Department of Justice vs. Prosecutor's office
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 09:58:46 PM »
Run, don't walk, to the DOJ. This is the no-brainer of all no-brainers. Seriously question the credibility of anyone who tells you otherwise. 1) Getting paid $25/hr. Typically jobs at the DOJ look good on your resume, but are unpaid. You are getting the best of both worlds 2) Unless you are about to be a 3L (at which point I certainly wouldn't want to be working for free), they lied to you about practicing in front of a judge unless your state has a statute unlike any other state I have heard of which permits a student who hasn't completed 2 years of coursework to practice. This is highly unlikely. I'm hoping you just posted this to confirm your thinking that the DOJ is the better choice, and it sounds from the tone of your post that this is the case. Go DOJ without any second thoughts.

i2ad10head

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 10:59:22 PM »
Yea i was thinking that, i am a 1L at a 3rd Tier school, so i am really lucky i got this paid job as a 1L, but then again, i am worried i might like this job and never obtain the necessary legal experience required for a law firm job in the future.  I feel like i'd be put at a disadvantage against other students.  Thanks for your insight. I appreciate it

vaplaugh

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 09:42:52 AM »
This DA office sounds like they are 1) BS-ing a little or 2) better than some DA offices.  Unless you're working in an appellate division, I'm not sure how much legal writing experience you're going to get.  I did an undergrad internship at a DAs office, and I worked with three law school interns.  They did the same work as me (filing and contacting victims), with a little bit more witness and victim contact.  They had no opportunities for writing that I'm aware of.

I say go to DOJ.  $25 an hour is pretty good money for a government internship.  I'm currently a paralegal at DOJ, and it's been great.  Is it criminal?  Which division/agency?