Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Let's Talk About Moot Court  (Read 3759 times)

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk About Moot Court
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2007, 07:40:06 PM »
I'm sure it will happen any day now.

Also, one "p" in apology. HTH.
Air Force JAG Corps

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2007, 07:59:33 PM »

I think you are being disingenuous!!!
pudding is delightful

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2007, 09:31:52 PM »

I think you are being disingenuous!!!

I'm being quite sincere when I tell you that apology is only spelled with one (1) "p". Swear to God. One "p".
Air Force JAG Corps

computer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2007, 09:44:57 PM »
CoxlessPair, all you have shown is that you're a liar. 

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2007, 09:51:09 PM »
CoxlessPair, all you have shown is that you're a liar. 

My Character & Fitness chances are now dashed.
Air Force JAG Corps

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2007, 11:29:30 PM »
Hi, as a senior paralegal at my firm, I get to hear the inside scoop on a lot of the resume review processes.  At our particular firm, we have attorneys from the two major law schools in San Diego, so both of them know the score as far as making moot court teams.

At least at our firm, putting how far you got in a competition doesn't hurt you.  It is one way to set yourself apart from the rest of the resumes.  How much it helps you depends on how far you went, the further you go, the more it helps.  "participant" or "top 32" tends to draw a few chuckles and comments about how hard everyone tries to impress the hiring partners.  Once you get on the "team" it can lead to being higher up on the call back list.

We're not BigLaw by any stretch, so at some of the stuffier firms, the situation is likely a bit different. 

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2007, 12:53:09 AM »
Hi, as a senior paralegal at my firm, I get to hear the inside scoop on a lot of the resume review processes.  At our particular firm, we have attorneys from the two major law schools in San Diego, so both of them know the score as far as making moot court teams.

At least at our firm, putting how far you got in a competition doesn't hurt you.  It is one way to set yourself apart from the rest of the resumes.  How much it helps you depends on how far you went, the further you go, the more it helps.  "participant" or "top 32" tends to draw a few chuckles and comments about how hard everyone tries to impress the hiring partners.  Once you get on the "team" it can lead to being higher up on the call back list.

We're not BigLaw by any stretch, so at some of the stuffier firms, the situation is likely a bit different. 

How would your firm react to my approach: Rather than simply listing that I made the moot court team, I list it and then draw a stick figure of me actually engaging in argument on the margins. 
pudding is delightful

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2007, 02:39:36 AM »
If drawn well, and humorously, it would be looked at as a positive.

How would your firm react to my approach: Rather than simply listing that I made the moot court team, I list it and then draw a stick figure of me actually engaging in argument on the margins.