Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wear a suit to interview for a job with professor?  (Read 1817 times)

ichthyophobe

• View Profile
Wear a suit to interview for a job with professor?
« on: April 19, 2007, 07:08:07 PM »
Are you supposed to wear a suit to interview for a research assitant summer job with a professor? Or just business casual? I haven't taken any classes with her yet but she teaches an area of law I'm really interested in and I'd like to make a good first impression but maybe a suit is overkill... Thoughts?

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Wear a suit to interview for a job with professor?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 08:01:20 PM »
if by "suit" you mean bathing suit, then yes.

but seriously, yes, wear a suit. 

Boston 2L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 09:00:47 PM »
well, here's the thing:  it may be weird if you're dressed nicer than the professor, and chances are the professor won't be wearing a suit, so you shouldn't either.  assuming you're a guy, maybe go for slacks and a coat?

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 10:11:56 PM »
I disagree, wearing a suit in the legal profession is never wierd. Professors are used to wearing suits and being around people in suits, so even of you are dressed nicer than the professor, I doubt it would be weird. On the other hand, if the professor did wear a suit and you didn't, that might be less than ideal. 

vaplaugh

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 10:51:08 PM »
Wear a suit.  Better to be overdressed than underdressed. 

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 03:40:32 AM »
People do not bat an eye if you wear a suit to an interview where everyone is wearing business casual and even if its completely casual it isn't that strange.

The only time you don't wear a suit to an interview, is if you are requested to not do it by your interviewer, these aren't blue collar jobs.

ichthyophobe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 10:25:48 AM »
Thanks to everyone who replied. Based on the prevailing opinion here I went with the suit. It turned out that I was more dressed up than the professor, but it didn't seem to be a problem. In the end I think it sent the message that I was being serious about wanting to take part in her research and that I would be professional about the work she assigned.