Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer Students.  (Read 1335 times)

gotcha

• View Profile
Transfer Students.
« on: April 18, 2007, 01:03:11 AM »
Hello everyone!  I would like to know how to transfer after completing your first year from an ABA-APPROVED LAW SCHOOL.  Based on my research, schools don't pay much attention to your LSAT as much as they would if you were an incoming first year law student.  Some schools website stated that the admissions criteria is based on the student's first year academic standing, if the student finished the first year as one of the top students in their class, a dean's letter stating a record of good standing and the students class ranking but did not state any emphasis on the LSAT score, however, requests the copy of the LSDAS report.

I just got accepted from Cooley with 141 lsat score and a 3.60 gpa with a 25% honors scholarship offer.  So far, for me this is good since this is the first acceptance letter I received.  However, I was shooting to attend school here in Southern California but with my LSAT score - I'm getting rejected everywhere (of course, it's pretty obvious - It is a bad score).  I was thinking of maybe accepting the offer and try to aim high in my first year at Cooley and maybe transfer out back to Southern California and finish off my law school here.  Do you guys think I have any chances of getting accepted in Cali?  Perhaps, Southwestern or Loyola?  ---- I considered re-taking the LSAT to see what score I'll can get but I don't want to waste another year of waiting to be in law school.  Time goes by so fast.... :(

PS:  I also know that it is not good to have this plan of transferring out...  as some of you would say - this is a bad start.  But I just want to have all the options I might have in order for me to know how to move forward.  THANKS ALOT!!!! 

Chibundu

• Sr. Citizen
  • PrimeTime!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bunz
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Transfer Students.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 02:18:40 AM »
You have to think about some things when you think about transferring:
1) Would I mind graduating from this school that I am currently at? Can I introduce myself as so and so with a law degree from this school. Can you sit in your offfice with a degree from such and such school on your wall. If you don't mind then, you can move on to the next question.
2) Would I mind staying the area after I graduate, if I am unable to transfer? Highly important considering transferring is not a guarantee and so if you cannot leave the school and it is a regional school where your grades are not good enough to transfer, do you mind working in that area until you are able to build up your work experience and move back out to SoCal?

After those questions are answered by yourself you can begin to proceed with the rest of the process, but those things are highly important.

You also have to think with your GPA, is it really that bad to sit out a year and get into one of my preferred choices or go to a school where I might end up and not be happy? If you are able to get to a 150 you will get into some TTT or mayeb even a T2 in CA. If you did not sign up for a class last time, I would suggest doing that the 2nd time around.

I hope this helps...
Bunz

SMU!!!!!

But still waiting to be called upon to be a Cougar-- UHLC

Law School 2007 Either Way!!!!

Litigator007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 02:20:57 AM »
Hey G - I'm about to be a 3L and I transferred last year.  I highly encourage transferring if you're truly unhappy at your school - it was the best decision I ever made.  However, in your situation, it is kind of a gamble.

The first year of law school is a really unique experience - for some people, who happen to be fully competent in other ways, it just doesn't click.  There were horror stories at my old school (T3) where people would work and study all the time, but just became another statistic on the attrition rate.

But, if you just want to transfer from a T4 to a T3 like Southwestern, that might not be a very difficult feat.  Say you gamble and you win, and you end up in like the top 20% in your class or so.  Then, with a powerful personal statement about how Southern California is your home sweet home, your chances of getting into SW are probably quite good.  Loyola though, is a stretch unless you're in the top 10-12% I would guess.  But, LSAT scores, as far as I know, are barely considered if at all.

Then again, if you go to Cooley and don't do so well, you would probably get stuck.  It's hard enough to get a job in the Midwest out of Cooley, let alone in So Cal, even if you're at the top.  These are all things to consider.  If you want to stay in Southern California, maybe you can apply to Whittier or Thomas Jefferson.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 07:18:20 AM »

Then again, if you go to Cooley and don't do so well, you would probably get stuck.

You won't be "stuck", you'll be kicked out.  The attrition rate is horrendous.

I know you said you don't want to "waste" another year, but did you take a course for the LSAT, like Powerscore or Testmasters?  If you haven't exhausted your options, you would really be MUCH better off trying to raise that score and getting in somewhere other then Cooley.  I'm not trying to knock the school - there are people that do well there and transfer up to much better schools, but if I was in your shoes, the attrition rate would terrify me.

Also, as Litigator noted, a Cooley degree will NOT travel well, because it is such a low ranked school and therefore is very regional.  If you want to work in CA, you'd be better served waiting a year, trying again on the LSAT, and applying to CA schools.

You have a very strong gpa, so even if you can raise your LSAT to a 150 (which is usually very possible w/ Powerscore or Testmasters), you can do much, much better.

(and I don't work for either of those 2 test companies - they're just some of the best, or were a few years ago when I took the lsat.  Head over to the prelaw board for more info on those, and maybe some info on other smaller, but quality, test prep programs that might be in your area)

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 11:03:45 AM »
just suck it up and retake the lsat; at least you know that 140 is a bad score, so now take some measures to bring it up to average.  Going from a 140 to 150 may take some effort, but it is not as hard as 150-160.  Work it like its your job for the next 6-8 months and you may surpirse yourself.  If you end up not improving, so what; a 140 is not exactly a golden ticket anyway.

you can definately do better than cooley, especially with your 3.6.  I finishing up 1L at a mid T2 with a 3.1, 153. you can do it! 

And one of the previous posters it correct, you have more of a chance of getting booted than stuck at TC.

gotcha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 01:22:59 PM »
Thanks for all the reply, greatly appreciated!

Arggghhh.  I'm going to re-take the LSAT, I think it is more worth it to delay another year than going to a school where the attrition rate is high - especially knowing that first year in Law School is really hard.  I have taken test masters before but didn't finish because of my busy work schedule and didn't have much time to study but yes they are good.  Thanks. 

Thanks for all the inputs.  One more thing, I am still waiting for other schools.  Florida Coastal, Texas Southern, and University of La Verne (ULV is a provisional school - are provisional schools any good at all?)  I should be getting my decisions by then end of the month.  If I do get accepted from this last three schools, do you guys think It's good to go for it?  Thanks much.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 03:13:17 PM »
Provisionally approved schools are normally OK.  They have met all the requirements for ABA accreditation, I think they just need to show that they can keep those stats/credentials up for a couple years.

All the schools you are applying to are going to be very regional.  Your best bet is to retake the LSAT.  Also look at that scholarship from Cooley very carefully.  Many T3 scholarship offers require you to pay back the scholarship money if you transfer, so you can't use their money to skip town to a better school.  I would strongly advise against going there if that's the case with your scholarship.

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 09:37:27 PM »
If you go to a provisional school you are fine as long as they still have provisional status when you enroll.  Even if they lose it after your enroll it is still like you are graduating from an ABA Approved School.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 09:54:05 PM »
Since this thread is called "Transfer Students," I suppose someone should mention that there are some law schools that will not accept students from provisionally accredited schools. See my previous post on this topic: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/students/index.php/topic,6802.msg54069.html#msg54069
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio