Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: transferring as a 3L?  (Read 2821 times)

Boston 2L

• View Profile
    • Email
transferring as a 3L?
« on: April 16, 2007, 02:10:21 AM »
does it make any sense to transfer as a 3L?  i ended 1L year in the middle of my class at a top 20 school, but this year i had a 3.7 first semester and expect something similar this semester.  ultimately i want to teach...  should i stick it out here, finish strong and do an LLM?  or should i try to get into a T-14 as a visiting student?  is there anyway to get the T-14 diploma even though you only transfer in as a 3L?

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: transferring as a 3L?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 02:13:33 AM »
i highly doubt it man... just stick it out and go for the high ranked ll.m program.  it wouldn't make any sense financially

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 07:08:50 AM »
No, most schools only allow you to transfer after 1L.  Visiting won't really help you other than to maybe make some connections, since your diploma will still come from your old school. 

I forget which poster it is now, but someone on here transfered after 2L, and had to give up a year of school (entered new school as a rising 2L).  This person is at a T14 now I think, so they thought it was worth it for them.

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 07:25:35 AM »
No, most schools only allow you to transfer after 1L.  Visiting won't really help you other than to maybe make some connections, since your diploma will still come from your old school. 

I forget which poster it is now, but someone on here transfered after 2L, and had to give up a year of school (entered new school as a rising 2L).  This person is at a T14 now I think, so they thought it was worth it for them.

From what I recall, that person's parents were also paying. For the average student who is taking out loans, I'd say it definitely is not worth it. If you really want academia, it's just as much a matter of what you do after graduate as the school you went to. You've pretty much got to be a rising star/superstar to be desirable to most law schools.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 08:57:07 AM »

DON'T DO IT.

The only reason I did it was because I wanted to go into academia/the academic side of the law (appellate litigation) and it was made very clear to me that would be impossible from my old school (T3).  If it's more about opportunities than time/money, I can understand being tempted to make the same decision but you would have to have a really compelling reason for wanting to do it (like not ever being able to do the thing that made you want to go to law school in the first place) and be in a position where you were able to afford it (no family, not married, parents helping out at least a little with tuition).

As for whether I think it was worth it ... PM me if you need advice, there's no benefit in complaining on this board anymore.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 09:52:02 AM »
Thanks for responding, UChi.  I couldn't remember your SN off the top of my head when I posted.