Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice Needed ASAP  (Read 2304 times)

lostschool

• View Profile
Advice Needed ASAP
« on: April 13, 2007, 03:21:21 PM »
Hi,

I am a 1L at Hastings with 3.85 GPA and 170 LSAT. My undergrad GPA from a top 5 school was 2.7 - don't ask. 

Assuming I get Law Review AND Moot Court at Hastings, is it worth it to transfer to:

1. UCLA/USC w no law review (and obviously no Moot Court)

2. UCLA/USC w law review

3. NYU/Columbia/Boalt/Stanford w no law review

4. NYU/Columbia/Boalt/Stanford w law review (long shot, I know)

Thanks so much for any advice.

misshermesboston

• View Profile
Re: Advice Needed ASAP
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 04:47:34 PM »
I think it is definately work applying to all of the schools if you have personal reasons for transferring. I think you need to personally evaluate whether you want to be on law review and moot court, and can do without them if you decide to transfer. My professors have always told me that moot court and law review at a lower tiered school is better than being at a higher tier school without any accolades, but told me this based on my desire to teach law. If you want to practice at a huge firm in a large city, you might want to evalute it differently.

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 04:55:09 PM »
where would you like to practice?

lostschool

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 06:50:21 PM »
I plan to practice in LA at a big firm.  Thanks for the advice so far!   

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 07:49:29 PM »
hastings places pretty well in LA... I would say try and go as high up as you can get because you never know what you might want to do later in life (teach, clerk, etc)

LeilaStar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 09:49:58 PM »
Sorry for going off topic here...

I'm considering applying to Hastings this fall. I just wanted to say you have a killer GPA, and was wondering if it's really that hard to get good grades at Hastings as I hear it is because I heard that there is a lot of competition at that school. What would be your advice for someone just starting 1L at Hastings and hoping to make top grades?

lostschool

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 01:09:59 PM »
LeilaStar, I sent you a private message.

hastings1L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 08:57:05 PM »
Uhhhhhh you should probably hold off on this post and contemplating transferring until your Civ Pro and K grades come back-- 6 and 5 units classes can make a HUGE difference in your gpa....

You sound really arrogant by the way.  UCLA is very transfer friendly, but come on--you need to chilax.

lostschool

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 05:36:43 PM »
Uhhhhhh, thanks for the support and advice fellow Hastings 1L.  I included my stats in the post so that I could receive informed feedback regarding my chances from the other posters, which I did.  Also, if transferring is even a possibility, it's probably not smart to wait until spring grades come out to begin working on my applications.  But THANK YOU for informing me that my spring semester grades matter!  Wow, what would I have done without your post?

Seriously though, your post definitely reinforced my decision to transfer.  Best of luck to you. 

lawschoolnofun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 10:19:19 PM »
I know EXACTLY how you feel, lostschool.  Best of luck to you in transferring.