Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SIU 2010  (Read 5564 times)

Saluki

• View Profile
    • Email
SIU 2010
« on: April 12, 2007, 04:13:57 PM »
Who's coming with me?

On a side note I had a Chicago lawyer rank the Illinois school in how his big firm respects them. Here's the list:

1. Chicago
2. Northwestern
3. Kent
4. SIU
5. Loyola
6. U of I
7. DePaul
8. John Marshall
9. Northern Illinois

He said that U of I expects to place in Chicago where SIU graduates actually work for it. I don't know how reliable that is but it is one firm's opinion.

So again.. Who's coming with me?!

Saluki

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SIU 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 09:51:43 AM »
bump

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 11:11:55 AM »
I would say that is very unreliable.  Check firm websites and see how many SIU grads are at big firms in comparison to alum from U of I, Loyola, and Depaul.  No Comparison.  Also look at the SIU OCI firm list... ::)

Saluki

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 03:00:05 PM »
I would say that is very unreliable.  Check firm websites and see how many SIU grads are at big firms in comparison to alum from U of I, Loyola, and Depaul.  No Comparison.  Also look at the SIU OCI firm list... ::)

Spoken like someone who depends on their school to get a job. Do you know where Carbondale is? Why would many Big Firms travel that far when they have so many Law Schools in the city? There is no point. Most of SIU grads go back to their hometowns to practice, or into government. Many want to go to Springfield or St.Louis the small percentage that want to go to Chicago get jobs very easily. They are highly respected for some reason. This source is telling the truth. If SIU was located in the northern part of the state the numbers would show this. Even if you are right I would rather have a degree that did not cost as much, and is highly respected rather than a hell of expensive one that is about the same respected. Your school might help you get your first job, but then you are on your own.

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 04:47:13 PM »
I am sure SIU is a good school, i was responding to "how reliable" that list was.  I am not sure how far SIU is from Chicago, but I know tons for firms make the 2-3 hour drive to U of I.  And I don't know if an SIU degree gets the same amount of respect as Depaul, Loyola, U of I

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 12:29:26 AM »
If anyone believes SIU is more respected than U of I they are insane. If you actually believe you can graduate from SIU law and easily get a job in Chicago, as an attorney with a respectable firm, you are in for a rude awakening. There are a lot of positive things about SIU, but don't over-hype the school. The list should look like this:

1. Chicago
2. Northwestern
3. U of I
4. Kent
5. DePaul
5. Loyola
7. SIU
7. John Marshall
7. Northern Illinois

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 02:22:29 AM »
SIU is about 7 hours from chicago. so it'd be a pain to get there. that said...if proximity to chicago were the determining factor in getting a good job there..then why doesn't NIU do a stellar job of placing lawyers in great jobs in chicago? i agree that the list goes:

chicago
northwestern
ui
kent
depaul
loyola
siu
john marshall
northern

however, i think depaul, kent and loyola can be shaken up in pretty much any order. aside from that..it's pretty much set.
"read a book."
Depaul '11