Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much an LLM counts?  (Read 2462 times)

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How much an LLM counts?
« on: April 12, 2007, 06:55:03 AM »
I'm an international student and hopefully I'll get the opportunity to get an LLM abroad before attending the law school in US (JD program).
would it be worth withdrawing from the T3 law school that accepted me, take the LLM in Europe for 1 year and then reapply for the JD in US during the next cycle?

Would the LLM increase my chances to get admitted into a better law school (say, low T1 or high T2) despite my LSAT is high 150s?

thanks!
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
Re: How much an LLM counts?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 02:30:54 PM »
I think that you'll have the best odds going to your T3 school, doing as well as you can, and seeing about transferring up.

UWTAX

• View Profile
Re: How much an LLM counts?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 03:45:58 PM »
I'm an international student and hopefully I'll get the opportunity to get an LLM abroad before attending the law school in US (JD program).
would it be worth withdrawing from the T3 law school that accepted me, take the LLM in Europe for 1 year and then reapply for the JD in US during the next cycle?

Would the LLM increase my chances to get admitted into a better law school (say, low T1 or high T2) despite my LSAT is high 150s?

thanks!
I don't think your LL.M will help you at all in JD admissions.  They only consider your UG GPA and LSAT.  It's very formulaic.  That said, with an LSAT in the high 150's, you should be able to do better than a ttt.  Why did you settle for t3?  Have you considered retaking?  Your options will be much more open if you can break 160 (which is not that difficult to do, especially if you're high 150's already).