Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JD/MBA  (Read 1712 times)

mal

• View Profile
JD/MBA
« on: April 11, 2007, 12:28:46 PM »
Hi,

Would it be worth it to do a JD/MBA if you could complete the program in three years? Thanks for your help in advance.

norman1l

• View Profile
Re: JD/MBA
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 03:52:15 PM »
Ummmmm ABSOLUTELY.  How did you sway this?  I really wanted to do the joint program, but I really couldn't handle another year of loans/ no paycheck.

mal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 08:58:49 PM »
The school I may attend offers a three year accelerated program. What are the advantages/disadvantages of this joint degree? Also, would this give someone a big leg up for i-banking? Thanks.

ksully

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 10:35:57 PM »
Do you have to take summer classes for the accelerated program? if so that really sucks, especially in terms of summer jobs.

wakaranai

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 11:10:08 PM »
Do you have to take summer classes for the accelerated program? if so that really sucks, especially in terms of summer jobs.

That is probably going to be a huge detriment/disadvantage if the JD/MBA doesn't give you 2 full summers to work. Even if it's just 1L summer, it's important to get some experience, paid or unpaid. In addition, jobs start out with the same starting pay regardless and if the JD/MBA program is "accelerated" in that you have to pay for 2 summer sessions, you're going to be starting off with more loans than most.

norman1l

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 09:47:41 AM »
I agree with the statements regarding summer jobs.  If you can't work, it doesn't matter if you get an MBA because you wont have a job.  However, if you have connections in i-banking, a JD/MBA would be extremely valuable.  My uncle is an investment banker in Dallas, and I have discussed this with him in the past.  There is a special niche of i-banking for individuals who have a JD.  Their help with the negotiation process is an important part of i-banking, and from what he said, they seem to be very involved in the actual financial transaction when they graduate vs. the financial modeling that is more "behind the scenes"(typical for new-grads)

mal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 11:44:39 AM »
Let's just say, hypothetically, that I could complete the JD/MBA in three years without sacrificing my summers for summer school. I would still get valuable work experience during my 1L and 2L summers and still complete both degrees in three years. Would it be worth it?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 11:48:29 AM »
What school offers this program?  I didn't think it was possible - all the ones I've heard of are either 4 year programs or 3 years, including summer courses.

Bob D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 04:18:41 PM »
No, you do NOT want a JD/MBA. The MBA won't help you get a job in law. And if you don't want a job in law, why they hell are you in law school in the first place?

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 04:49:12 PM »
No, you do NOT want a JD/MBA. The MBA won't help you get a job in law. And if you don't want a job in law, why they hell are you in law school in the first place?

Sound reasoning ::)