Law School Discussion

Imus

Ronald Hyatt

• Hedgehog
    • View Profile
Re: Imus
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 09:08:35 PM »
It was Rutgers... and here they are:

I know you aren't in law school, yet, but we learn about a little thing called inferences. Based on his blatantly bigoted past behavior, the predominantly black membership of the team, and the words "nappy headed," I would say it is a pretty safe inference that the comment was racist. As for calling them hoes, well that also make it sexist.

I would just like to reiterate, however, that Don Imus is a no-talent loser. The unfortunate outcome of all of this "negative" publicity will probably be a boost in his ratings, since any controversy is at least more interesting than the unintelligible grumblings of musty curmudgeon.

leostrauss

• The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 09:16:15 PM »
Well, wasn't he calling the two white girls nappy headed hoes, too? How do we infer that they ought to be excluded from the attack unless we assume that only black women can be nappy headed hoes, thus outing ourselves as just as bad?

leostrauss

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 09:20:18 PM »
maybe we should just label him a racist on past behavior, because this situation doesn't make sense at all in terms of proof of racism . ..  he said nothing about the black race. Now, he was mean, stupid, sexist etc, and should maybe even be fired, but I haven't heard anyone prove racism at all. Even if he was calling just the black girls this name, how does that meet any standard of racism? He was simply really offensive, rude, and demeaning.

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 05:07:53 AM »
Just because you can't "prove" racism doesn't mean you shouldn't apologize for something that came off as racist. This isn't a legal argument.

Strong

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 05:13:02 AM »
I really wish people would just shutup about racism.

Do you think 100 years from now someone won't insult someone else because of the structure of their hair, they will, and that will be racism.

Get over it.

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 05:21:08 AM »
I really wish people would just shutup about racism.

Do you think 100 years from now someone won't insult someone else because of the structure of their hair, they will, and that will be racism.

Get over it.

Not necessarily. If I made fun of your hair b/c you had a lame comb-over, that isn't racism. Also, if you wish everyone would just shutup about racism, then you shouldn't respond to a thread about racism. 

Nowhere Man

• You know who is a Blackstar? Who? Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 06:35:46 AM »
I love how people are TURNING this into an Al Shaptron and Jesse Jackson/Double Standard issue. You can clearly see why someone would bring them into the debate. Its a diversion.

What does hip-hop have to do with the justification of his words?

I mean.. cmon. Just look in the mirror and say its wrong.

Cmon people, lets face reality.

Blacks are a minority.

Asians are a minority.

Hispanics are a minority.

But not only are they are minorities, but they have FACED tremendous hatred and racism in the PAST from Whites in this country.

I love White people and I have no problem with them. But I have to admit. I find it odd when SOME White people try to downplay anything to do with racism.

Why is it so hard to say what Imus said was wrong? Are you gonna lose face?

Stop playing devil's advocate and stop bringing all these variables like Jackson and Hip-Hop.

Oh well..

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 06:45:34 AM »
I love how people are TURNING this into an Al Shaptron and Jesse Jackson/Double Standard issue. You can clearly see why someone would bring them into the debate. Its a diversion.

It's not a diversion. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are jackasses like Imus. I have no problem with the outrage of Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson over the racist comments Imus made. But he sincerely apologized. Now they should shut the fvck up b/c they're creating more racial tension.

leostrauss

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 06:56:18 AM »
Just because you can't "prove" racism doesn't mean you shouldn't apologize for something that came off as racist. This isn't a legal argument.

I said I thought he should probably be fired. I certainly think he should apologize. I just don't think his comment was necessarily racist. If you listen to what he said later, he says the opposing team (also majority black) was "beautiful." I just don't understand why we jump to racism.  .. HE SHOULD DEFINITELY APOLOGIZE, AND MOST LIKELY LOSE HIS JOB THOUGH!

leostrauss

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 06:59:09 AM »
Well, wasn't he calling the two white girls nappy headed hoes, too? How do we infer that they ought to be excluded from the attack unless we assume that only black women can be nappy headed hoes, thus outing ourselves as just as bad?

Still no one has explained how his comments were racist. Whatever. I am not trying to downplay anything. for the thiry ninth time . . .He should lose his job, be ostracised forever . . . hell, get the pitchforks, tar and feathers for all I care. I just think ppl are a little quick on the racism trigger, that's all.