Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Write-On Competition  (Read 1020 times)

yupster567

• View Profile
Write-On Competition
« on: April 09, 2007, 08:47:52 PM »
There was recently a write-on competition advertised at our school for the International Law Journal.  You can pick up the packet tommorrow and it is due on the 21st of April.  The main journal write-on does not even start until our semester ends.  Should I try to write-on to this journal?  I do not want to bank on getting on the main journal; but I also do not want to do two journals.  Has anyone done 2 journals here?  Thanks.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Write-On Competition
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:26:34 PM »
I did the write-on for our secondary journal.

They know that alot of people will do the main journal so they make offers early and allow time to try to get onto the main one.

I don't think many people do two journals, that seems like an unmanageable workload.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 10:54:01 PM »
I can only speak for the journals here at UT.  At UT there have been three journals that I know of that have already chosen people to be on the journal next year, or at least over the summer (with an automatic next year offer unless you don't do the summer work).  All of the journals say up-front that they understand that people will be trying to get onto Law Review, and they fully expect someone to choose Law Review over their journal.

My feeling is that the other journals pick ahead of time as they expect that the gung-ho folks who will just barely miss out on Law Review will be looking for any type of journal experience early.  By selecting early, they get to choose from the most enthusiastic and possibly best before the other journals grab them.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 10:57:58 PM »
There was recently a write-on competition advertised at our school for the International Law Journal.  You can pick up the packet tommorrow and it is due on the 21st of April.  The main journal write-on does not even start until our semester ends.  Should I try to write-on to this journal?  I do not want to bank on getting on the main journal; but I also do not want to do two journals.  Has anyone done 2 journals here?  Thanks.

2 Journals... do you have any idea how depressing your life would be??  Cite-checking for 2 journals and 2 writing requirements.  If you want to get more involved, do moot court along with the journal.
pudding is delightful

Buddy Holly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 10:59:36 PM »

2 Journals... do you have any idea how depressing your life would be??  Cite-checking for 2 journals and 2 writing requirements.  If you want to get more involved, do moot court along with the journal.

I have a friend who is doing 2 journals next year (board member of one, associate editor of another). It is possible, though probably difficult. Journal work does suck.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 11:03:12 PM »
Ask what the policy is if you get an invitation for the secondary journal, e.g. can you change your mine/turn down an invitation if you make it onto law review?  I'm sure they've considered this situation, and have a policy in place to deal with it.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 01:00:07 AM »

I have a friend who is doing 2 journals next year (board member of one, associate editor of another). It is possible, though probably difficult. Journal work does suck.

Amen on the journal-work-sucking part: 'tis very true.  If I had to do the workload of being on 2 Journals, I'd probably be a mental case by the time the already-lovely law-school experience finally ends.  Do what someone else here suggests:  do moot court as well as Law Review, for that's more impressive than working on 2 Journals.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 01:10:07 AM »
i do two journals. lots of people here do. law review is far more intense than the other journals, though. the secondary journals are open-membership, don't have a writing requirement, and don't pub as many issues per year. i'm only an associate editor on the secondary journal and i'm on the ed board of the law review--no, i'm not buddy holly's friend.
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 10:42:13 PM »

Believe me, I know it's possible, and it really wouldn't be all that difficult... I'm just saying that being involved in 2 journals would be the most depressing thing you could do as a law student.  The work is plain awful.
pudding is delightful

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 10:43:16 PM »
seconded
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio