Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 2007  (Read 52003 times)

USDer

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: USD 2007
« Reply #260 on: July 18, 2007, 03:30:13 PM »
To current students or any 0ls in-the-know,

Please help. How much does it cost to buy books each semester? The allocated amount for books seemed rather low - I know I spent way more than that in college.

Since we won't get our list of books till orientation how do we search for used books before then? Are there usually postings of used books on campus?

Thanks

dsnutter

« Reply #261 on: July 18, 2007, 05:19:57 PM »
To current students or any 0ls in-the-know,

Please help. How much does it cost to buy books each semester? The allocated amount for books seemed rather low - I know I spent way more than that in college.

Since we won't get our list of books till orientation how do we search for used books before then? Are there usually postings of used books on campus?

Thanks

I am kinda wondering the same thing. I would love to have my book list now so I could go on Amazon and buy them cheaper. I've heard nearly $600/semester for books. But there are some current USDers who will hopefully chime in. Sno?

snobord99

« Reply #262 on: July 19, 2007, 03:45:17 AM »
hahaha, i like that i got called out  :P...ok, so i think i spent...about $400 on books first semester...a little more than that, but i distinctly remember it being under $500...that's just the required stuff tho...if you want to get outlines and stuff, it'll cost u quite a bit more...one thing i will say, you could probably get away with not getting your books for skills...i got them...and i think i opened those 3 books (which cost a total of about $100) a total of 5 times...and that was before i figured out i could probably have gotten away with not opening any of them...but yea, someone in our section figured out the required books for second semester way ahead of time and i got those online...i think second semester cost me under $250...

Law9486

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 19, 2007, 09:57:19 AM »
hahaha, i like that i got called out  :P...ok, so i think i spent...about $400 on books first semester...a little more than that, but i distinctly remember it being under $500...that's just the required stuff tho...if you want to get outlines and stuff, it'll cost u quite a bit more...one thing i will say, you could probably get away with not getting your books for skills...i got them...and i think i opened those 3 books (which cost a total of about $100) a total of 5 times...and that was before i figured out i could probably have gotten away with not opening any of them...but yea, someone in our section figured out the required books for second semester way ahead of time and i got those online...i think second semester cost me under $250...

I totally agree with this (esp the lawyering skills books.) There is some hope though - USD does sell used books (which is a reason to go early on the Wednesday of Orientation), you could buy them online and in the book store and then return the book store ones (a lot of work, but I know some people think its worth it), and then finally, SBA will be holding a used book sale the days of orientation (they have never done this before, but hopefully it will be good.)

Im amazed at the number of upperclassmen who still have their 1L books (I have all of mine) so ask around and you might get some used books from them (thats how I got my contracts stuff.)

cjenifer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #264 on: July 19, 2007, 02:28:50 PM »
Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since I have logged on here as well.  I'm glad I did because I just got a couple questions answered that have been bugging me, such as being able to use Vista for exams (SO glad you can!) and the cost of textbooks.

I agree the housing situation is ridiculous in San Diego!  I went down last weekend with a painstakingly prepared list of places to look at gathered from Craigslist and 1/3 of the places were rental agencies charging a fee and the other 2/3 rented the day they posted.  I had really good fortune though, and was able to nag a 2br/2bth place in OB a block from the beach for a fair price.  I'll be sharing with a friend and I think it will work out just fine. (Except for only having one assigned parking space to fight over!) :)

Tomorrow is my last day at work, then I have a week to pack, will be going to Ohio for a week for a family reunion, then straight to San Diego.  I also went back and walked around campus last weekend, it was a stereotypically beautiful San Diego day, the campus absolutely sparkled in the sunlight.  It's like going to school at Balboa Park!  SDSU (my undergrad) has some nice parts of campus but all of USD is beautiful!  Anyway, I just wanted to share that I am officially excited now :)

~Jenifer

IONLYKNOWY

« Reply #265 on: July 19, 2007, 07:08:17 PM »
Does anyone know what time the orientation for evening students is?

it's either Aug.16 or 17th

dsnutter

« Reply #266 on: July 19, 2007, 07:46:50 PM »

I'm not sure, but I believe someone was saying that us PTers will have to miss work for it. Hopefully USD will be sending us someting relatively soon.

snobord99

« Reply #267 on: July 19, 2007, 08:59:57 PM »
evening orientation is the same time as day...so u will have to miss work for it since it's an all day (for 2 or 3 days, i forget) event

Law9486

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 19, 2007, 09:15:44 PM »

I'm not sure, but I believe someone was saying that us PTers will have to miss work for it. Hopefully USD will be sending us someting relatively soon.

Orientation is two and a half days. You have to go on the 15th to register, buy books, get id and parking pass. Everyone is assigned a time based on their last name, but evening students can come at 5 or 5:30. It took about an hour. Then the 16th and 17th are full days - 8:30 to 4:30 type days and all the events are mandatory. I remember I took off work on Th/F, but not Wed. Hope this helps!

USDer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #269 on: July 19, 2007, 10:57:29 PM »
Thanks Sno and Law9486 for your input. Nice to hear that there'll be a used book sale.

Sno the cost of 1st semester books - were your books all used, all new or a combo 'cause $500 seems reasonable for new books.

Sno and Law9486 how were you able to get away with not opening lawyering skills books? Did you use library resources or was the class just easy enough that you didn't need the books?

Thanks