Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 2007  (Read 52405 times)

Law9486

• View Profile
Re: USD 2007
« Reply #190 on: May 26, 2007, 01:13:17 AM »
The invite on gpa process is kindof ridiculous. Its only the top 15 students(which you dont know before the write-on begins) and this is the first year that they have done it. (I have heard that they actually might change it back for next year.)

Everyone does write-on for LR at the end of their first year, but you can try for ILJ in later years as well.

snobord99

« Reply #191 on: May 29, 2007, 06:03:22 PM »
mock you? whatever do you mean  ??? ;D

Chippewa to Terero

« Reply #192 on: May 29, 2007, 07:42:30 PM »
Just thought I'd throw out some deep thoughts, as I sit at work pretending to be productive while checking LSD/LSN/San Diego Apts/fantasy baseball.....it's getting more difficult by the day to pretend that I care about things getting done at my temp job......anyone else having this problem?  I know Justin feels it. 

cjenifer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #193 on: May 30, 2007, 12:48:49 PM »

cjenifer.....what's alexis's last name?  When was she there?  I think I remember at least one Alexis.  Small world!

You know, it's been so long since I last talked to her I don't remember her last name! She would've been there around 2001-2005 or so. Thanks for reminding me of her I'll have to track her down on Myspace and say Hi :)

I know what you mean about the temp jobs...I just started this job (and technically, it's no temp job. I've yet to inform them of the wonderful news about me going to USD). The apathy really should not be setting in yet!

I am definitely not giving it the same effort I would if I were sticking around awhile, even though my wiser side knows I should (especially since I'm now thinking I may come back to work as an attorney here).  It doesn't help that it's summer; the weather is beautiful outside and I'm stuck in a cubicle in the basement of the courthouse!

I do have one more thing to look forward to, just bought tickets to see the Deftones at the Rainbow Ballroom in Fresno which is even more exciting because it's a very intimate venue :)

Now I have a question, to the students already in the midst of things at USD: If you could only give one piece of advice for us incoming folks, what would it be?

mgolper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2007, 05:19:58 PM »
So I just found this. Joined the facebook group as well.  I suppose I have a lot of 'discussion' to catch up on.  Hello everyone.

Matt

elheartoattackos

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #195 on: June 02, 2007, 04:48:49 AM »
hey guys. im 50.3% sure i'll be attending this fall...so i just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. looking forward to meeting you (if the moons align) in the fall!

1) Hometown? bay area california. gyeah.
2) What type of law are you thinking about practicing? transactional corporate.
3) If you weren't/didn't go to USD, where would you go to law school? fordham (the 49.7%) or hastings (if i get off the waitlist).
4) Class you are most not looking forward to as a 1L? civ pro...yuck.
5) Doing anything cool before school starts? getting healthy and traveling my ass off...anyone want to meet in asia sometime in july?
6) Activity you are most likely to engage in when not studying? partying, listening to good music/djing, sleeping, heroes, gym, jamison on the rocks.

elheartoattackos

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: June 02, 2007, 05:03:32 AM »
7. Undergrad/Major?
U of A, USF Politics/Philosophy.

8. Cool Thoughts about or before law school?
should i get engaged before law school?  eek.

9. Are you doing one of those law school prep classes? Current students, did you take one or do you have any recs?
i did...last year...it was a bit lame.  law preview suggests we brief everycase (rather than book brief)  whaaa?  seriously...who has the time.

10. Planning on practicing local after graduation or going to LA or somewhere else?
if i go to USD...i'll be in san diego for the long haul. besides...usd is a bit regional..right?

11. Most interesting life experience?
opened up a restaurant/lounge/nightclub recently rated top ten in SF (i know,i know...what a prestige wh0re!). oh and the stress almost killed me.

12. What you'd do if you weren't going to law school?
restauranteur/mba/entrepreneur/dj

kaifactor

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 02, 2007, 06:36:37 PM »
Activity you are most likely to engage in when not studying? partying, listening to good music/djing, sleeping, heroes, gym, jamison on the rocks.

We have another whiskey drinker on this board, awesome. Paddy's is the way to go for Irish whiskey though (despite being extremely tough to find.) I'm a makers mark fan, myself.

Unless you are 100% about practice in NYC, I wouldn't go to Fordham if I were you. It's a shark tank environment, all the apartments close to campus are super expensive (Columbus Circle) and most of the kids who go there figure that since they didn't get into Columbia or NYU that they'll just graduate at the top of their class at Fordham. A few cool people, but few and far between. Law school's hard enough, why torture yourself?

Can't say anything about Hastings though and good luck to you if it's your first choice. USD's a pretty solid #2.

mgolper

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #198 on: June 04, 2007, 07:08:03 PM »
I also enjoy whiskey products.

I'll be in San Diego the 7th and 8th of July for a soccer tourney - anyone going to be around / want to meet up? 

Also, does anybody play soccer?  We're all obviously going to be busy but I'm hoping to find a Sunday league to play in to [help] keep my sanity.  Anyone interested?

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #199 on: June 05, 2007, 12:06:50 PM »
I don't play anymore, but there are tons of organized leagues that play around the ocean beach area.  they are always looking for players.  you'll have no problem finding a team.  Plus, USD does have IM sports, might be something to look into, be a chance to connect with the wider university.