Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 2007  (Read 52180 times)

dsnutter

Re: USD 2007
« Reply #160 on: May 18, 2007, 03:19:12 PM »
Question for the current SD people. My contract with Cingular expires in June and I really hate Cingular, so am thinking about switching phone companies. Any thoughts on what has the best reception in the area or just in general about the cell companies? Any recs?

I have had cingular for the last 8 years, and never had a problem till 3 days ago. I don't know what the heck was happening with the service, but every time I called someone it would crap out on me. Ugh.

Other than that, cingular seems to work pretty well in SD.

snobord99

« Reply #161 on: May 18, 2007, 06:01:12 PM »
congrats on the $$  :)

as far as cell phone goes...sprint/tmobil/cingular reception's all about the same...pretty much non-existent in the law building (which i think is true of all the carriers...not as sure about verizon tho)...just get whatever cell carrier you normally would...

LJGuy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2007, 07:20:06 PM »
1) I'm coming home to San Diego
2) I want to work in criminal law, mostly mental health and juvenile
3) Northeastern looked good in a "save the world" kind of way and William and Mary looked good too.
4) Contracts looks less than exciting
5) Just hanging out a local private practice, doing grunt work. And playing on our beautiful beaches.
6) Swimming, writing, traveling

Law9486

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2007, 07:45:05 PM »
Hey everyone! So I finished up sometime around 10 last night, so now Im going to try to join in the fun. Im done with my first year (minus write-on) and it was great.

As far as the series of questions go, I moved from Nashville, so I know all about moving across the country. I wish you all the best of luck because it was kindof painful. (Media rate for mailing was my best friend.)

I think I want to do Patent law, but wont be doing anything close to that this summer. To those of you studying for the patent bar: If your studying because you already have a job lined up, great; if you are studying because you think one of the big law firms will like you more, its probably not worth it. Ive talked to lots of law firms (Baker, MoFo, ect) and they think its in the same category as the bar. They pay, you study later. Just a thought.

As far as classes go, lawyering skills is definitely too much work for the reward. Although, dont hate it too much because I will probably be one of your learning assistants! I personally hated property, but it had more to do with the professor than the class.

I will be working in a law firm downtown and taking classes during the summer. Most people I know got jobs (although since I was an evening student, most already had jobs) but I also know a lot of people that are studying in Oxford, Dublin, ect.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2007, 08:43:34 PM »

Steve, one question. Why would you get a LLM at USD? Unless you are going for tax, doing well at Cal Western could probably get you into a program at one of the top 20s. Since you'll already have San Diego connections, you might as well get that snobby paperwork at somewhere with a little more national recognition. Then again, I have no idea what you want to do, so take that with a grain of salt. I'm tossing around the idea of getting an MSRE (real estate), but I'll focus on getting through 1L 1st.

USD has an LL.M in Criminal Law.  I would stick with USD because it has evening classes and I don't want to leave San Diego.  I'm the classic example of wanting to have your cake and eating it too

P.S.  I am very happy with Cingular's reception in San Diego.

dsnutter

« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2007, 10:03:22 PM »
I think I want to do Patent law, but wont be doing anything close to that this summer. To those of you studying for the patent bar: If your studying because you already have a job lined up, great; if you are studying because you think one of the big law firms will like you more, its probably not worth it. Ive talked to lots of law firms (Baker, MoFo, ect) and they think its in the same category as the bar. They pay, you study later. Just a thought.

I was planning on studying for the patent bar this summer, but you have made me reconsider a bit. Are the benefits of doing it NOW outweighed by the negatives (studying and losing my summer)? I was mainly doing it just to get ahead. Honestly, most firms would not hire me as a patant lawyer anyways because I have a civil engineering background, and not the desired EE. I just don't really want to waste my entire summer if it is not worth it. What do you think?

Law9486

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 19, 2007, 11:30:11 AM »
Heres how the patent bar was explained to me. Most people that join the big firms take it once they graduate along with the bar. Your firm pays for your classes and gives you time off. That said, I was told that it can be a plus on your resume. It definitely indicates a commitment to patent law (which might be important to you since you come from one of the less desired fields.) That said, I was told that it cant make up for low or lower grades.

If your planning on self-studying and it wont be too stressful, then it might not be a bad choice. If you are paying for a course and plan on studying hard for 2 months (which I have heard is what you need for proper preparation), then its probably not worth it. Ive also heard that it is soo much easier after you have already worked in the field for awhile.

I worked full time before law school and took the summer enrichment class at Cal Western, and I was a little burnt out at the end of the summer. (However, if any of you have the time and the money to take the Cal Western class, I would highly suggest it. I know several people that took it and I know everyone was glad that they did. For me, it had the same value as one of those "teach you how to write law school exams" classes.) Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: May 19, 2007, 03:26:16 PM »
I'm taking the summer enrichment class at Cal Western.  I'm really glad to hear from someone that it has the benefit that I am looking for.

MCVinny

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2007, 03:50:03 PM »
Does anyone know if the Cal Western summer enrichment courses could be transferred for credit at USD? I will be starting at USD in the fall and I think it would be nice to get a head start.  I'd love to take the classes, but I have trouble justifying the money if I can't get credit for the classes.

Law9486

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2007, 04:24:28 PM »
Does anyone know if the Cal Western summer enrichment courses could be transferred for credit at USD? I will be starting at USD in the fall and I think it would be nice to get a head start.  I'd love to take the classes, but I have trouble justifying the money if I can't get credit for the classes.

You can not get credit for it. USD doesnt allow 1L's to come in with any credits.