Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 2007  (Read 53180 times)

snobord99

Re: USD 2007
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2007, 02:33:18 AM »
350 miles north of SD...so that's like...Merced area(ish?)...

Traffic? SD???? Stay away from LA  ;)

Oh, and don't worry about it. Law school really isn't all THAT bad, but you WILL hate it right around this time next year. Oh, and around Thanksgiving this year. Other than that it's not so bad  :).

dsnutter

« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2007, 03:16:51 AM »

Some background on me: I am from central Cali, about 350 miles north of San Diego. A very rural area, but I love the small town life.

Too bad that isn't the central coast, that's where I am right now. Congrats on making USD your choice! We welcome you. When are you going to be getting into SD? We will be getting something planned.

cjenifer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2007, 02:02:06 PM »
350 miles north of SD...so that's like...Merced area(ish?)...

Visalia, actually. Which isn't very rural anymore to be honest. Since I graduated high school in 2000 the population has grown by something like 30,000 people.

And tell me about LA- Let's just say the drive back to Visalia from SD can be as short as 4 and a half hours or as long as 8.. all depending on traffic in LA!  :o

iSalute:

I'd love to live on the central coast that is my long term plan. I kind of like Atascadero: it's small, it's close to the beach but not so close you get the marine layer all summer long, it's close enough to SLO to be able to enjoy that college town atmosphere, and it's only a couple hours away from my family here in Visalia. Where are you at?

I should be getting in to San Diego very shortly before classes start. I'm going to keep working right up until the last minute to make as much money as I can before going. Fortunately, I have living arrangements already for the first year so that is one less worry on my mind. I'm definitely down for some drinks (maybe some fish tacos too?  ;D)

Thank you both for your welcome!

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2007, 03:54:49 PM »
Taco Tuesdays at PB Bar and Grill is always a fun time.

dsnutter

« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2007, 04:56:28 PM »
iSalute:

I'd love to live on the central coast that is my long term plan. I kind of like Atascadero: it's small, it's close to the beach but not so close you get the marine layer all summer long, it's close enough to SLO to be able to enjoy that college town atmosphere, and it's only a couple hours away from my family here in Visalia. Where are you at?

I am in SLO, for school of course. Atrashcadero isn't too bad if you like melting away, but I suppose you are used to that living in Visalia. It definitely has that rural feel. I can only live through temperatures ranging from 60-75 degrees. Anything else and I cry like a little baby. That is why I am getting back to good ol SD when I graduate! woohoo.

Taco Tuesdays?? Where do I sign up?

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2007, 12:43:13 PM »
Taco Tuesdays at Pacific Beach Bar And Grill...  you can sign up by sending me a $200 seat deposit by July 1st. And we'll make reservations for the first Tuesday of August.  ;D

Or we can just figure out the first week that everyone is down and get a big group going.  Either way.

iSalute:

I am in SLO, for school of course. Atrashcadero isn't too bad if you like melting away, but I suppose you are used to that living in Visalia. It definitely has that rural feel. I can only live through temperatures ranging from 60-75 degrees. Anything else and I cry like a little baby. That is why I am getting back to good ol SD when I graduate! woohoo.

MCVinny

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2007, 06:27:03 PM »
I am also thinking about trying to get some money from USD before the second deposit is due. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get money as an PT student? I have only heard of one person so far that has been given any money in the PT program. I emailed them about 2 months ago asking for money and I was rejected. I have multiple offers from some of their peer schools, but they declined to match. Do you think it would be worth it to go to the school and ask them to reconsider in person?

cjenifer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2007, 10:52:23 PM »

Yea, I actually like being hot- It's just not summer without those blistering hot days and, more importantly, hot nights  ;) Although when I first moved back up here after living in San Diego for 2 years I had the misfortune of moving in the middle of July and the heat hit me like a ton of bricks. It is brutal without any acclimation!

So I have something else to consider now, I e-mailed the local school here (which would be perfectly competent if I plan on staying in the area, which being as I have a nice house and a great job wouldn't be the worst thing in the world... but it's no USD...) letting them know I would not be attending as USD offered me x amount of money making their tuition more affordable.. and the local college countered offering full tuition!

So now I'm back to the drawing board trying to decide where to go and what to do.. I'm still pretty sure I'll go to USD because the local college doesn't have ABA approval and a degree from there just doesn't carry the same weight... but it is still a JD, for free!  ???

Now I am considering asking USD for more $$. I'll keep track of the board to see how you all fare first :) Good luck!!

yanksfan324

« Reply #128 on: May 09, 2007, 11:24:04 PM »

Yea, I actually like being hot- It's just not summer without those blistering hot days and, more importantly, hot nights  ;) Although when I first moved back up here after living in San Diego for 2 years I had the misfortune of moving in the middle of July and the heat hit me like a ton of bricks. It is brutal without any acclimation!

So I have something else to consider now, I e-mailed the local school here (which would be perfectly competent if I plan on staying in the area, which being as I have a nice house and a great job wouldn't be the worst thing in the world... but it's no USD...) letting them know I would not be attending as USD offered me x amount of money making their tuition more affordable.. and the local college countered offering full tuition!

So now I'm back to the drawing board trying to decide where to go and what to do.. I'm still pretty sure I'll go to USD because the local college doesn't have ABA approval and a degree from there just doesn't carry the same weight... but it is still a JD, for free!  ???

Now I am considering asking USD for more $$. I'll keep track of the board to see how you all fare first :) Good luck!!

Go to USD.  Don't waste 3 years of your life just to end up with a degree that won't take you anywhere.  While I'm not big on the rankings between schools 21-100 (I think local rep is more important), there's something to be said for a school that isn't even ABA accredited.

And I too am leaving "home" where I'm all settled and in a solid full time job, save for the fact I hate my profession.  I was scared to *&^% at first... almost backed out, but now that it's around the corner, I only wish it would come sooner!

snobord99

« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2007, 09:41:39 AM »
Go to USD. Putting aside the value of the degree from the local school, the legal education you get there may just plain out be sub-par. I'm assuming that it's at least a school which the CA Bar recognizes and you can take the CA Bar coming from there, but if the legal education is sub-par, you may have a very hard time passing the bar. If you can't pass the bar, then you literally wasted a whole lot of time and money. Full ride or not, going to school involves giving up a lot of opportunity costs elsewhere so you're saving on tuition, but you're still "spending" money in other ways.

Assuming you can pass the bar with the legal education there, it severely limits your options. I'm not one who thinks that rank is the end all and do all of which law school to pick, but whether it's ABA accredited or not is a HUGE distinction. You are, presumably, limited to practicing in CA. Even if you think there's basically zero chance of you wanting to practice outside of CA, it's at least good to have the option. You don't want to be limited to CA the rest of your life. Things happen, you never know when or why you'd want to leave the state so having that option is key.