Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 2007  (Read 53431 times)

dsnutter

Re: USD 2007
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2007, 01:41:28 AM »
No one has positive rep on this site that I've found.
I have -3 and only 23 posts.

I honestly take it as a compliment, I think most of the posters in the regular forum are awful human beings.
No one seems open to other points of view.  It's pretty ridiculous.

Heh, I just gave you another neg on your reputation. That was fun! hmm..I wonder if I can give myself positives?

Edit: Nope, I can't. That is too bad.

dsnutter

« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2007, 03:28:34 AM »
P.P.S. Jess, rather than get a hotel, you can save a bundle of cash by doing a short term sublet somewhere in SD. First week in July in SD, you are gonna get robbed or be so far away that it isn't worth it.

Kai ~ Even if it's only for three nights?  I have found a few pretty good deals on hotels, but I haven't booked any yet.  I had no idea you could sublease for only three nights, but if its cheaper than $200 I'm totally down.  I suppose CL would have some listings?
[/quote]

For $200 I may have a spare bedroom  :P

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2007, 06:28:03 AM »
I live in San Diego right now.  Most of the locator services are bunk.  You'd probably have an easier time finding something off of Craigslist.

The only places that have those services are the beach areas for luxury rentals.  probably a bit out of reach with no scholarship money!

Speaking of scholarship money, I just got a $16,000 nonrenewable scholarship from USD! I'm so excited. I guess my problems are over now. I won't be renting anything expensive though, still going for a room in a house so that I can keep my dog. I'm thrilled to be able to afford USD. That work study wasn't going to happen since I'm not about to kill my law school grades. I didn't even know I was being considered for money but I'm glad that they gave me some. I sent USD an e-mail asking them to match my McGeorge offer but they never responded. I then called and visited twice only to receive my financial aid offer with only loans and work study. So it was weird to receive a large scholarship out of the blue because I thought that I had no chance. Maybe someone else will receive a late scholarship as well.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

kaifactor

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2007, 12:34:23 PM »

That a baby, Roman! USD was able to help me out too and I remember the feeling when I got their revised offer. Congrats. I guess we'll be seeing you in the fall then. Hopefully, more people will get money and that won't be a factor in anyone turning USD (37k is completely ridiculous).

Glad I could help out with the sublet. I'm envious of your drive, as I'll probably buying a car out in SD rather than drive one from NYC. The western part of Texas is nothing to write home about, but you'll hit some pretty awesome countryside in NM and AZ.

Btw, sorry I didn't introduce myself. I'm Sam.

LJRoberts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2007, 02:11:10 PM »
Hey everyone, my name is Lisa and I've been checking out these posts so I thought I'd say hi.  I made friends with everyone on facebook but I haven't actually gotten the chance to talk to any of you!  I have a few questions for anyone who might have an answer, it looks like some of them have been covered but oh well... First of all, I'm coming from Maryland and I have only been to SD once for a weekend to tour usd.  I am trying to find a place somewhere, probably in Mission Valley.  I think I'm going to wait until they send out the roommate list to try and find some other law students to live with, but that is leaving it really late for my taste, but some current students told me it wouldn't be a problem.  Any thoughts on that?  Also, is it okay to wait until I move out west in August to get a place or should I really come for a weekend over the summer to tour some apts?  I really don't have the time to fly out, so I'm hoping it will be cool not to...
The other question I have is about computers.  I have a brand new deskptop that I would really prefer not to have to replace, so do I have to have a laptop?  Does it matter what kind?
Okay thanks for the input!!  Lisa

snobord99

« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2007, 03:47:27 PM »
Hey Lisa, no, it shouldn't be a problem for you to wait for the roommate list. I mean, if you're lucky, you might even find roommates who will do the search for you  :P. You can wait until August. I know people who drove out here and looked for a place while all their stuff was in the car. Your choices might just be more limited since you basically have to find a place that's allowing you to move in immediately. If you're willing to at least entertain the possibility that you may have to compromise a little on where you live, I really don't see why it would be a problem. As far as a computer goes, no, you don't have to have a laptop. It is, however, EXTREMELY convenient. The 2 biggest things are just taking notes in class and typing your final as opposed to handwriting it. You might also want to have a laptop of your own when you have to do research in the library (like, when you're actually in the library to do research as most of us don't do research in the library unless the assignment makes us).

Oh, speaking of the library, I hear they got new chairs some time in the last week. Like, some sort of office chairs. I've not seen them, I've been to the library about 5 times this semester.

dsnutter

« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2007, 08:33:06 PM »
I live in San Diego right now.  Most of the locator services are bunk.  You'd probably have an easier time finding something off of Craigslist.

The only places that have those services are the beach areas for luxury rentals.  probably a bit out of reach with no scholarship money!

Speaking of scholarship money, I just got a $16,000 nonrenewable scholarship from USD! I'm so excited. I guess my problems are over now. I won't be renting anything expensive though, still going for a room in a house so that I can keep my dog. I'm thrilled to be able to afford USD. That work study wasn't going to happen since I'm not about to kill my law school grades. I didn't even know I was being considered for money but I'm glad that they gave me some. I sent USD an e-mail asking them to match my McGeorge offer but they never responded. I then called and visited twice only to receive my financial aid offer with only loans and work study. So it was weird to receive a large scholarship out of the blue because I thought that I had no chance. Maybe someone else will receive a late scholarship as well.

Wholly crap! Roman that is awesome!!!!

I just opend my mailbox and found a scholarship offer for $14,000/yr renewable. That totally helps me out. I was completely surprised that it would be so much, especially since I am going part time. The stipulation is that I have to continue to show financial need every year, and since I will be working full time I probably wont be able to prove that. At least I get it for the first year! It pays to ask USD for some money.
Again, congrats Roman!

Edit: It is actually not a scholarhsip, it is a poor person's grant. Woohoo just the same!

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2007, 09:43:11 PM »
That a baby, Roman! USD was able to help me out too and I remember the feeling when I got their revised offer. Congrats. I guess we'll be seeing you in the fall then. Hopefully, more people will get money and that won't be a factor in anyone turning USD (37k is completely ridiculous).

I think 37k is crazy as well but most law schools in California cost about the same although USD is always one of the most expensive. Yes, I will be going to USD and I'm feeling much better about passing up McGeorge now. How much did they offer you? What are your numbers?

Wholly crap! Roman that is awesome!!!!

I just opend my mailbox and found a scholarship offer for $14,000/yr renewable. That totally helps me out. I was completely surprised that it would be so much, especially since I am going part time. The stipulation is that I have to continue to show financial need every year, and since I will be working full time I probably wont be able to prove that. At least I get it for the first year! It pays to ask USD for some money.
Again, congrats Roman!

Edit: It is actually not a scholarhsip, it is a poor person's grant. Woohoo just the same!

Congrats on your grant! I received the USD School of Law Honor Scholarship so it's not based on being poor even though I am. It's too bad that it's not renewable but I'm sure that if I do well then I won't have any problems getting more aid. Are you going to be able to work full time and still do well in law school? I'm not taking the work study USD offered because I want to focus exclusively on law school but I'm going full time so there is going to be more schoolwork. Was your offer dated April 26th?
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

dsnutter

« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2007, 01:18:16 AM »
Congrats on your grant! I received the USD School of Law Honor Scholarship so it's not based on being poor even though I am. It's too bad that it's not renewable but I'm sure that if I do well then I won't have any problems getting more aid. Are you going to be able to work full time and still do well in law school? I'm not taking the work study USD offered because I want to focus exclusively on law school but I'm going full time so there is going to be more schoolwork. Was your offer dated April 26th?

I will be working full time, and I probably wont be doing very well in law school. I can barely read, let alone write. If I didn't need the work experience, I would just remain poor and go to school full time. O well, such is life. I wonder what is the max I can make a year and still be 'poor'?

cjenifer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2007, 02:07:19 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm a little late getting in on this topic; I've just recently made my decision to attend USD this Fall. I am so excited, but I must admit I'm very nervous too! I'd love to get together sometime before classes start and meet some people.

Some background on me: I am from central Cali, about 350 miles north of San Diego. A very rural area, but I love the small town life. I went to SDSU for undergrad so I'm familiar with San Diego and love it for the most part, the only thing I cannot stand is traffic and parking but maybe that's because I'm just not used to having to worry about either of those where I'm from.

Side note- to the girl with the doberman, I'm not sure if you already found a place to live but I lived in OB {Ocean Beach} while going to SDSU and it seemed like everyone there had dogs. It's the most dog friendly area I've ever seen.. so I'd check that out!

After graduating in 2005 I went to work for a title company downtown, then had a chance to get into a nice house and a good job back in my hometown so I moved back... When the real estate market slumped I got laid off and that's when I thought I'd try the Feb. LSAT's for kicks and did much better than I ever thought. I was just going to go to the local yokohl law school but applied to USD on the off chance they'd offer enough money to make it cheaper than going to the local school and sure enough they did :)

In the meantime, I'm working as a paralegal for the public defender here and it's really fantastic experience that makes me all the more excited to become an actual attorney! I hate to leave this job and go back into a ton of student loan debt but I hope in three years it will be worth it :)

It's still been difficult to reconcile leaving "home" but after much soul searching I know it's the best thing for me in the long run. Is anyone else starting law school after already starting a career and settling down somewhere? I find myself so torn but I think I'm mostly afraid of the unknown.

Well this got very long. I look forward to meeting you all in person!