Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 2007  (Read 52823 times)

Law9486

• View Profile
Re: USD 2007
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2007, 11:48:16 AM »
I just wanted to quickly chime in about fin aid. Yes, your initial package is most likely your final package. The majority of people are on all loans. However, I dont think there is any benefit to turning down work study (unless you feel like you need more loans, I guess.) I know several people who have had at least 5-8 hours to work in the library (which I wouldnt recommend, but thats a different subject) or other areas on campus. Additionally, all research assistant positions with a professor are funded by work study. It is not unheard of for a 1L to have a research position in the spring or esp in the summer. (I have one.) It would stink to have to turn a position like that down because you dont have access to work study. Just a thought....

PS - I also agree with the "nothing north of La Jolla or south of downtown..." sentiment.

dsnutter

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
Psshhhhh...nothing north of La Jolla? You guys are killing me here. Don't hate on the poor guy who has to live with his daddy.

PS,I really dont want to live so far away from campus, and from my work for that matter.

kaifactor

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2007, 01:46:33 PM »
Roman, if you haven't, I'd contact USD directly about financial aid. They may not do anything for you, but it never hurts to ask. If you have some leverage, all the biter. As for whether or not it is worth the 175k, consider what the return is gonna be. If you want to work for the DA or the Sierra Club, it's probably more advisable to go somewhere cheaper, but it looks like most USD grads do pretty well with paying back their loans. Still though. 37k for tuition a year USD, wtf?

Law (or anyone), why wouldn't you rec working in the library? The library and the gym were the two best places at my UG, because you could pretty much just show up, chill and collect a check. Are there better places on campus to work and do you have to work in the law school building? Since the weather's awesome, riding around on those USD golf carts or anything outside seems pretty money.

IONLYKNOWY

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2007, 01:47:12 PM »
Question for current students..

Does USD recommend a certain laptop that they want students to buy for 1L?  If so, do they include that in the budget when applying for Stafford and GRAD PLUS loans?

Also, on my financial aid package, they say that I will be taking 8 hours for Fall and Spring.  Yet on the USD website it lists PTers as taking 10 hours for Fall and 9 for Spring.  Do they need to correct this before I submit the paper work for these loans?

Oh, and if I want to visit here in the next month to find an apartment in San Diego, will the school provide a place to stay while I am visiting?  Like a spare room in graduate housing or on the floor at a current students home?

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2007, 03:20:24 PM »
I think one of the factors in determining where to go if you've got no scholarship is where else can you go with scholarship money.... and, honestly, how smart do you really think you are?

If you graduate towards the bottom of your class, that debt load is going to look pretty ominous.  If you graduate towards the top, it'll be a mere pittance once you start working.

If your option is all-loans at USD, and only 50% ride at say, Cal Western or Thomas Jefferson, then really, you'll make more off the reputation of USD than you'll spend.

On the other hand, if it's all loans at USD and 100% scholarship at Cal Western, and you think that you'll finish middle of the pack at USD, but top of the heap at Cal Western....  Well, you might just wanna pass up on the 85th best law school in the nation.

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2007, 04:55:27 PM »
I think one of the factors in determining where to go if you've got no scholarship is where else can you go with scholarship money.... and, honestly, how smart do you really think you are?

If you graduate towards the bottom of your class, that debt load is going to look pretty ominous.  If you graduate towards the top, it'll be a mere pittance once you start working.

If your option is all-loans at USD, and only 50% ride at say, Cal Western or Thomas Jefferson, then really, you'll make more off the reputation of USD than you'll spend.

On the other hand, if it's all loans at USD and 100% scholarship at Cal Western, and you think that you'll finish middle of the pack at USD, but top of the heap at Cal Western....  Well, you might just wanna pass up on the 85th best law school in the nation.

Thanks for that analysis. My options were no money at USD versus 20K in tuition at Pacific-McGeorge if I stayed in the top third of my class, or going to Lewis and Clark who's tuition is 28K rather than the 37K at USD. The other two schools also had a lower cost of living but I guess there isn't a point in going over this again since I already withdrew from both of them. Lewis and Clark sent me a fee waiver, deferred me, and then waitlisted me on Monday. I keep wondering if I should have taken the money at McGeorge because my stepfather insists that it was the better choice. Nevertheless he thinks that if it was a choice between Loyola and McGeorge, with 15K a year, then I would be smart to choose Loyola but if it's McGeorge versus USD then I should attend McGeorge. I know that everyone says to go with your gut feeling so I did. I think going to USD is the right choice but I keep hearing crap about it from my stepdad. He wanted us to sit down and discuss all of the options available but all of my decisions did not come in at the same time. Additionally, a waitlist at Loyola isn't something to take seriously, especially since I prefer USD. I created a poll at the following link to see if Loyola or USD would be better. Thanks for the input.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,87701.0.html
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

Law9486

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2007, 04:56:30 PM »
Some quick answers. (I am doing so good at procrastinating from torts outlining.)

The library - I worked there for about 5 months. The work is not stressful in the least and is really easy. The reason that I dont recommend it is because you can't do school work while working (which is not like some of the other jobs on campus.) Being in the library all the time and seeing everyone else studying can also be very stressful. If you can manage to avoid the mind games, then it wouldnt be too bad, but that would make you a better person then me.

Laptops - DO NOT get a mac! USD keeps claiming that you will be able to use them on exams soon, but who knows what soon is with USD IT. On that note, this semester they wont support Vista for exam soft. (That might be a reason to not get Vista either.)

Temporary Housing - I have never heard about them letting you stay on campus while you look for housing. I would just ask as many USD students as possible where they live and if they would recommend it. This might give you a starting point. Maybe you could fly out for a week in the middle of the summer to find a place?

Evening Hours - I wouldnt worry about the 8 hours thing. Your payment is the same if you take 8-11 hours, so I guess they just put the minimum. But you are right about the 10 hours and then 9 in the spring. (PS - I am an evening student, so if you have an evening specific questions, feel free to ask.)

I think thats all the questions. Sigh, back to torts.

snobord99

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2007, 05:24:14 PM »
Ah, evening student. I was thinking sec. A or C, but apparently I left out you evening kids.

Laptops - agree, don't get a MAC and don't get Vista. But it's not USD IT's fault. They have plenty of faults (but a lot seems to have been fixed this semester), but laptop compatibility with examsoft isn't in their control. This applies pretty much anywhere you go.

Never heard of temp housing either. I'd be SHOCKED if they did that. One option some people went with was just to come here with all their stuff and stay in a hotel for  a day or 2 while they look for a place to stay. I'm not sure I'd recommend it, but it's an option.

And Roman, let me get this straight. Your options as of right now include USD w/no $ or no law school at all?

yanksfan324

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2007, 05:30:38 PM »
And Roman, let me get this straight. Your options as of right now include USD w/no $ or no law school at all?

hahaha

Roman, you're analyzing way too much.  And I thought I was bad...

USD is a great school in an amazing city.  You'll make back the money you spend as a lawyer.  Nothing to lose sleep over.

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2007, 06:15:05 PM »

hahaha

Roman, you're analyzing way too much.  And I thought I was bad...

USD is a great school in an amazing city.  You'll make back the money you spend as a lawyer.  Nothing to lose sleep over.

I know that it's my only option at the moment but I could get off the Loyola waitlist and then I'd be in a *&^% storm with my family. I'm also thinking of not doing the work study my first year and turning that money into a loan. I don't want to have any distractions and most law students seem to agree with that. I'm going to USD full time so it's not really realistic to work 10-15 hours a week. Thanks for that Yanks, I'm really trying to look at the positives. Luckily, I got a letter from USD that boosted my battered ego. It said that although they had 4,800 applicants this year for 320 seats, I was admitted and others weren't. That makes me feel better.  :D
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN