Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 2007  (Read 53532 times)

snobord99

Re: USD 2007
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2007, 07:58:24 PM »
I'll be perfectly honest as to what my opinion is on USD (generally). They have 1 respectable program. We're in it.

I mean, I know this can happen at any school, but how much can I really respect a business school whose dean gets arrested for cocaine possession (which did happen around October and he resigned).

dsnutter

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2007, 08:20:53 PM »
I'll be perfectly honest as to what my opinion is on USD (generally). They have 1 respectable program. We're in it.

I mean, I know this can happen at any school, but how much can I really respect a business school whose dean gets arrested for cocaine possession (which did happen around October and he resigned).

Cocaine possession, that is interesting. I would definitely have thought a law school dean would be wacked out on cocaine before the business guy.

But yes, it does seem as though the respectable program USD contains is law.

DanTheCran

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2007, 02:42:11 AM »
As others said, downtown to usd is not bad at all.  Its about 15 minutes on average and you can take either the 5 or the 163 so if theres a lot of traffic you can usually avoid it, and if the 8 is backed up you can go 163 to friars and just go up by fashion valley (i forget the street that cuts from frias up to linda vista.

Does anyone know when we find out our schedules?

snobord99

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2007, 05:09:48 AM »
As others said, downtown to usd is not bad at all.  Its about 15 minutes on average and you can take either the 5 or the 163 so if theres a lot of traffic you can usually avoid it, and if the 8 is backed up you can go 163 to friars and just go up by fashion valley (i forget the street that cuts from frias up to linda vista.

Does anyone know when we find out our schedules?

Orientation.

dsnutter

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2007, 06:23:34 PM »
Is there only one PT section? I couldn't find that info online, but I did find where it says there are 3 FT sections. I just want to make sure all you PTers that I already know are in my section!

snobord99

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2007, 07:22:18 PM »
There's only 1 "large" PT section, when they say 3 PT sections they mean your smaller section (for lawyering skills, aka legal writing and research). Each large section, PT or FT, is broken down into 3 smaller sections for lawyering skills. In addition, FT sections are broken down to 2 sections for one more substantive class during the fall semester. E.g. first semester section B had Civ pro, torts, property and skills. Civ pro and property were both large sections with all 85 (or so) of us in it while torts had 40 something and skills had about 30. There's people who want to change the smaller substantive class section though because it can be unfair (for example, my section had WAAAAAAY more reading than the other section throughout the semester. Like, we had about an average of 50 pages a week when they sometimes read 20 pages a week and almost never exceeded 30).

IONLYKNOWY

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2007, 05:17:38 PM »
So what parts of San Diego should you avoid living?

By the way, I will be in the PT program this Fall!  I know Isalute will be in the PT program as well, any others?

snobord99

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2007, 06:27:31 PM »
I would say just to stay between La Jolla and downtown and no further than 3 miles east of I-5.

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2007, 09:10:23 PM »
I just got my initial financial aid package from USD and it's all loans except for a few thousand in work-study. I'm just wondering if the final package will be the same as this one. Also, will there be enough time to do work-study? Is it worth going to USD without any scholarship money? I know that I'm going to be taking on massive debt but I hope that it's worth it. I would greatly appreciate a response, especially from current students.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

snobord99

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2007, 03:26:10 AM »
I guess that would be me.

Your initial fin aid is pretty much your final one. You can opt out of work study or something, but don't expect many dramatic changes. As far as work study, there's time (I guess), but I opted out. It's just an issue of whether or not you want to work, there are certainly FT 1Ls that do. I chose not to. It's really up to your own budgeting. If you don't work, you don't get work study $, but you'll also be looking at that much less in loans. Is it worth coming here without scholarship $? A lot of people do. The better question is what are your other options? I mean, yea, USD is pricey, but in all honesty, a few thousand a year isn't that much considering you're looking at $150k at the end of 3 years almost no matter where you go (assuming no $$). Coming here, like any other law school, is an investment and whether or not that's a worthy investment is your call.