Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 2007  (Read 50859 times)

snobord99

Re: USD 2007
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2007, 06:35:35 PM »
Hey Guys, I just quicky made a facebook group for us. I believe it can be accessed http://calpoly.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2315699708.
Just another way for us to stay in contact and potentially pick up some people along the way.

Aww, too bad I'm not a part of the class of 2010  ;)

dsnutter

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2007, 06:45:59 PM »
Hey Guys, I just quicky made a facebook group for us. I believe it can be accessed http://calpoly.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2315699708.
Just another way for us to stay in contact and potentially pick up some people along the way.

Aww, too bad I'm not a part of the class of 2010  ;)

Of course, we are open to all USD law students. We do not discriminate  :D

Chippewa to Terero

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2007, 02:01:24 PM »
I just wanted to say hey to all of the fellow USD '07 entering class!  I know I've talked to Dan and Jess before.  I joined the facebook group too.  I'm Caleb, and I can't wait to move down to San Diego (I'm thinking by late July, definitely no later than the 1st week of August). 

I'm absolutely down for a get together somewhere, heck maybe even a few, before we get into the grind.  Can't wait to meet you guys, have a good one!

P.S. As I allude to below, anyone else considering a JD/MBA?

Chippewa to Terero

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2007, 02:22:17 PM »
Hey everyone! Congrats on your decision. I am USD 1L right now and I love it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. (I have been trying to answer questions on this board, but sometimes I get lost in the magnitude of them.)

I just wanted to comment quickly about on-campus housing. I have a couple friends that live on campus and love it. Its slightly more expensive, but there are a few perks - 1. less drive time, traffic here stinks. 2. only 9 month lease, which allows you to take a job elsewhere during the summer 3. no housing searching. 4. great study rooms. Just thought that I would throw that out there.

Good luck!

I guess I'd like to throw this thought out to any of the 1L's on here, or anyone currently in SD:
I've been thinking about getting a downtown studio, maybe around Petco, what do you think drive to campus would be like?

yanksfan324

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2007, 02:22:58 PM »
I just wanted to say hey to all of the fellow USD '07 entering class!  I know I've talked to Dan and Jess before.  I joined the facebook group too.  I'm Caleb, and I can't wait to move down to San Diego (I'm thinking by late July, definitely no later than the 1st week of August). 

I'm absolutely down for a get together somewhere, heck maybe even a few, before we get into the grind.  Can't wait to meet you guys, have a good one!

What's up?  Looks like we're starting to get a good sized group together here.

I did consider the JD/MBA, but just didn't think the MBA would add enough value to warrant the extra time and money.  Of course, if your career goals involve less lawyering and more business/finance, it's a great option, but I just don't feel USD's MBA program is strong enough to add value to my JD since I have a lot less interest in business.  I could be quite wrong of course and would love to hear any insight that might counter that thought.

dsnutter

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2007, 02:38:22 PM »

Caleb, good to have you here. I was considering the MBA as well, but as Justin said I just don't feel as though it is worth the time and money. I am definitely looking to be a business owner or some sort of manager in the future; however, I hvae been asking around and it seems as though MBAs really are not needed. I am too poor and too lazy to put in the extra effort that would be needed.

snobord99

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2007, 05:22:02 PM »
Hey Caleb, nice to meet you. As far as living around Petco goes, I don't really know exactly what the traffic is like in the morning there since I don't live in that direction. I can tell you that it doesn't look like the 5 north isn't that congested around the school and considering that downtown isn't that far from school I can't imagine it being much worse. It's about a 10 min drive w/o traffic, so I can't imagine it being more than 20 with the traffic conditions I see. Overall, if I had to guess, I would say it would take you about 15 min to get to school if you go on the 5 (as opposed to the 163 since I know nothing about that freeway in the morning).

And many of you asked about a JD/MBA. I considered it myself last year. The best comment I heard regarding that came from an upperclassman last year when the issue came up. "Just ask yourself if you're really going to do anything with the MBA."

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2007, 05:29:34 PM »
Petco Park to USD is not a hard commute at all.  You'd take the 163 to the 8 west, exit on Morena and boom, you're on campus.

Downside is you're going to be going WITH traffic, so you'll need to factor in extra time to deal with the commute, not based just on distance.

As for the MBA joint degree.  I was reading the JD Jungle's Guide to Law School, and they recommended skipping it.  In that book they write that some hiring partners shy away from joint degree holders, because they might not be as committed to practicing law.  I imagine this mostly holds true for the larger more rigid law firms, but it's something to think about. 

Personally, I would say skip it.  The joint programs work by allowing some classes to count for both, so you'll take fewer law classes than the regular law student, and fewer business classes than the regular business student, and all for the savings of one year of education.  Personally, I think that sells you short, because you won't be as well educated at law as the rest of the kids at Warren Hall.  I think you'd be better served by just getting the JD by taking all law classes.  And then later if you find you want an MBA take it as a separate program.

I had the same issues debating whether I wanted to do JD/MSW (social work), JD/PhD in History, or just getting a JD.  I decided I'd rather focus on the legal education.  I can always go back later and get the other degrees.

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2007, 07:33:26 AM »
Dan, I am far too fond of my puppy to let him go, but I appreciate the offer and maybe he can play in your yard, because I don't know if I can find one for him! 

I will also need to find a place with a yard for my dog so maybe we can be housemates? I would prefer to live with fellow USD Law students so if anyone is interested, let me know.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

kaifactor

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2007, 07:25:38 PM »

Caleb,
  I did a little research into San Diego's business school (although I'm no expert) and came away with the impression they are fairly new and not very highly regarded. I work in a law firm now as a corporate paralegal and 2nd an MBA being basically useless for corporate work (especially for securities). Depending on what you plan to use it for, I think you'd be better served with an LLM in one of their concentrations rather than an MBA. Also, since you can take classes outside the school of law for credit, you can probably get the preparation you are looking for there without having to do an extra year. I'm thinking about taking Spanish classes during 2L and 3L myself.

Sam