Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 2007  (Read 52878 times)

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
Re: USD 2007
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2007, 11:38:50 PM »
Hi, no one's on my school's board so I thought I'd say hi to my neighbors up the hill.
I got into USD and Cal Western.  Cal Western gave me the full ride, so I followed the money.  I've been in San Diego for the last nine (9) years, and I'm a paralegal at a firm downtown.  So, if anyone has any questions about the legal community, or has any housing questions, and doesn't mind making friends outside of Warren Hall, then feel free to drop me a line.

dsnutter

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2007, 12:10:15 AM »
Yaaaaarr, it's Steve the Pirate. Fellow San Diegan. Close enough. Money can be quite persuasive. My mom went to Cal Western. How is the paralegal life? Do you think you'll be working for the same firm when you get your JD? How do you like Cal Western compared to USD?

snobord99

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2007, 01:35:33 AM »
Hi, no one's on my school's board so I thought I'd say hi to my neighbors up the hill.
I got into USD and Cal Western.  Cal Western gave me the full ride, so I followed the money.  I've been in San Diego for the last nine (9) years, and I'm a paralegal at a firm downtown.  So, if anyone has any questions about the legal community, or has any housing questions, and doesn't mind making friends outside of Warren Hall, then feel free to drop me a line.

We make plenty of friends outside Warren Hall. There's the LRC and the parking lot  ;).

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2007, 02:53:17 AM »
Yaaaaarr, it's Steve the Pirate. Fellow San Diegan. Close enough. Money can be quite persuasive. My mom went to Cal Western. How is the paralegal life? Do you think you'll be working for the same firm when you get your JD? How do you like Cal Western compared to USD?

Hey there Isa.  You know, I really enjoyed my experience at USD's paralegal program, and my initial thought was to go there, money be damned.  But, I don't want to leave San Diego after graduating, so the national reputation is a moot point.  Some of my friends go to USD, some go to Cal Western.  One of our current law clerks is a 2L at USD.  When I really looked at everything, the main difference that I kept coming up with was prestige (which is not an insignificant thing).  USD's a T1 school, Cal Western isn't.  When I looked at the clinical programs offered, and the placement rates with the DA's office, or with internships in judge's offices, the advantage of USD wasn't worth $37k per year.  That being said, if I had thought for a moment that I'd want to leave San Diego after law school, I would have gone to USD.  But, Cal Western's got a great reputation locally.  I also really liked the staff at Cal Western.  I've already talked to the director of career services about internships for next summer, I've had a chance to schmooze with the Dean, and talk to the program director of the Family Law concentration (if anyone's curious, I intend to specialize in DV and child abuse prosecution).  I knew who my admission's adviser was, and I got regular emails from her both before and after I was officially admitted. USD gave me a couple of form letters, and a booklet.  I like the individualized attention.  I guess the difference for me was USD is a school that would let me go there.  Cal Western was a school that wanted me to go there.  I have the feeling that Cal Western will work harder for me when it comes time to get out on the marketplace.

I like being a paralegal well enough.  I have the capability to move beyond the limits of being a paralegal (hence the law school trip).  I doubt I'll stay at the same firm after graduating.  I'll clerk at my current firm until I get a chance to work at either the DA, the PD, or with a judge.  I think that being a paralegal gives me an edge since I have substantive legal experience.  That "work experience" edge is one of the things that made it easier for me to decide to go to the less prestigious school.  Besides, I figure, in theory, I should be right near the top of the class as Cal Western, as opposed to just a regular joe at USD.  We'll see how it all turns out. 

What made you guys pick USD over other options?

pbnwu

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2007, 09:49:03 AM »
Yeah I was talking about the alumni reception for prospective students. It was basically a mixer with free food and booze for students, alumni, and professors

snobord99

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2007, 02:47:11 PM »
Yeah I was talking about the alumni reception for prospective students. It was basically a mixer with free food and booze for students, alumni, and professors

Get used to it.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2007, 05:15:12 PM »
If you look in the North Park/Normal Heights area you can find decent houses with yards.

dsnutter

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2007, 05:21:08 PM »
If you look in the North Park/Normal Heights area you can find decent houses with yards.

Those are scary parts. But then again, Mission Valley is ALMOST too scary for me as well.

dsnutter

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2007, 05:45:40 PM »
Hey Guys, I just quicky made a facebook group for us. I believe it can be accessed http://calpoly.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2315699708.
Just another way for us to stay in contact and potentially pick up some people along the way.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2007, 06:05:01 PM »

Those are scary parts. But then again, Mission Valley is ALMOST too scary for me as well.

Someone grew up sheltered.  I grew up in Long Beach and Compton.