Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 2007  (Read 53076 times)

dsnutter

Re: USD 2007
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 08:47:37 PM »
Any other USD 0Ls out there? Let's get a bump going.

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 02:54:26 AM »
Is anyone going to that reception thing on Tues 4/24? I live in SD so I'll be there

What reception? I was just admitted on the 16th so I have no idea. I guess I won't be there then.  :-[
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

dsnutter

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2007, 03:15:09 AM »
Is anyone going to that reception thing on Tues 4/24? I live in SD so I'll be there

What reception? I was just admitted on the 16th so I have no idea. I guess I won't be there then.  :-[

Did you get an acceptance packet? In my packet was a little flyer about the ASD. It says you have to RSVP by the 16th.

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2007, 03:51:43 AM »

Did you get an acceptance packet? In my packet was a little flyer about the ASD. It says you have to RSVP by the 16th.

Unfortuneatly my packet did not have this flyer. I hope that there will be another ASW not only because I want to get a better feel for the campus but also because I need to convince my stepfather that USD is just as good a school as Loyola if not better. He went to Loyola and would love for me to go as well. I on the other hand prefer USD. I visited a few weeks ago after going to the San Diego Zoo and really liked the library. The people I spoke with were friendly too. Do you happen to know how and when we get our financial aid packets? I'll be giving up 15K a year from McGeorge (plus free books the first year) to go to USD so I am looking for some decent loans. I thought that USD might give me some scholarship money to match McGeorge but when I called they said that they don't match funds. I had already sent an e-mail asking for them to do so but I haven't received a response. I hope that USD with no money is a better choice than McGeorge with 15K a year. I think USD is worth it but my wallet won't agree in a few years unless I get a pretty good job.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

dsnutter

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2007, 04:06:34 AM »
Unfortuneatly my packet did not have this flyer. I hope that there will be another ASW not only because I want to get a better feel for the campus but also because I need to convince my stepfather that USD is just as good a school as Loyola if not better. He went to Loyola and would love for me to go as well. I on the other hand prefer USD. I visited a few weeks ago after going to the San Diego Zoo and really liked the library. The people I spoke with were friendly too. Do you happen to know how and when we get our financial aid packets? I'll be giving up 15K a year from McGeorge (plus free books the first year) to go to USD so I am looking for some decent loans. I thought that USD might give me some scholarship money to match McGeorge but when I called they said that they don't match funds. I had already sent an e-mail asking for them to do so but I haven't received a response. I hope that USD with no money is a better choice than McGeorge with 15K a year. I think USD is worth it but my wallet won't agree in a few years unless I get a pretty good job.

Well, first off it is you going to LS not your stepfather. So I say go where you want to go. I sent USD an email asking for money as well, but I don't expect to hear anything back from them. It was more of sad attempt for me to get something.

Honestly though, if you want to work in LA I would say go to Loyola. If you want to work in SD, go to USD. If you do really well in school, then it really wont matter where you went but from what I understand you cant bank on doing well.

You could probably even show up on Monday to the ASD and you could join in on the activities. I highly doubt they would turn you away.

I got some money from McGeorge as well, but I just couldnt get myself to go there.

yanksfan324

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2007, 09:11:04 AM »
1) Just call and RSVP for the ASW, I'm sure they will not turn you down.  They even had "walk ins" at mine.

2) You don't "ask" for money.  You insist upon it.  I don't mean it in the sense that you say "you better give me money", but if all you do is question whether they'll give you some, the answer will be no, obviously.  You need to make them think that without it, you won't attend (which is often the case).  Otherwise, what's their motivation to drop thousands on you if they already expect you're attending?  It may be too late now, but if you do really well 1L, you can get one for 2L/3L.  So all hope is not lost.

3) You need to go where you want to go.  This is your future, no one elses.  Of your three choices, personally, I would go to USD, but that's because I much prefer SD to Sacramento and slightly to LA for now, and Loyola is just not in the kind of environment I'm looking for for law school.  It doesn't mean that USD is right for you, but I can assure you, if you end up at USD, it's not like you're making a mistake.

Is it July yet? 

snobord99

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2007, 05:27:05 PM »
If you're close enough to the area and can on Monday, I'd say just show up. It's EXTREMELY unlikely that they'll turn you away. That said, I personally never found anything out as ASWs which I couldn't find out just walking around the school. In fact, I think just an unplanned visit and sitting in on a class actually works better.

And yanks...it's not July yet, but it is 70 degrees and sunny outside  ;D.

snobord99

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2007, 01:09:21 AM »
Roman:

Hey, I know I already replied on your LSN account but I'll write what I said here as well for others who may be curious. 
I turned down 20K a year from Loyola to go to USD with a 16K a year scholarship.  I would never, even if I was threatened to get all of the teeth knocked in, want to live in L.A.   I could definitely suck it up if I'm able to transfer to say UCLA, but I after graduation I would still never want to live there.  UCLA would afford me oppurtunities to move outside of the city of course, where as Loyola might not so assuredly unless I rock it really hard and end up in the top 5 - 10% (which is a possibility, but I don't want to take a risk).  BUT with USD, even if I do pretty bad in law school I can still practice in San Diego, which is in my opinion one of the most amazing cities out there.  To break it down: Loyola is regional, USD is regional.  I like USD's region better. 

Also this is a quote from Ken from LSN:
" The University of San Diego Law School is the preeminent law school of the 8th largest city in America. While not considered a national law school, it has a very strong regional reputation. Because of the natural beauty of the campus and San Diego, it attracts good faculty members and students. Although the US News Law School rankings have it ranked as 65th, their faculty is just in the top 25 in quality according the Leiter rankings (put out by U. of Texas law professor, Brian Leiter). Thus, I think the University of San Diego Law School is underrated by US News. Additionally, it is nice to be top dog in your city. Conversely, although Loyola is also ranked 65th, they are a distant 3rd in LA. Everyone loves San Diego and I think you would be quite happy there. If you are in the top 10% of your class you have a huge amount of opportunities. If you are in the top 25% of your class at the University of San Diego Law School, you still have many options. Those below that range have a harder time finding good jobs, but I anticipate that you will do well once in law school.

Loyola is not bad, but the law school is separate from the campus and is in a not great part of town near downtown Los Angeles. The law school complex is an attractive and modern set of buildings, but it does not provide the collegial atmosphere of the University of San Diego Law School. If things do not work out at USD, Loyola is the clear second choice."

Dog friendly living is hard to find in San Diego!  Anybody know of any tips for a one bedroom $1000 - $1250 by the beaches that will let a 75 lb Doberman live there?  Yeah I know, what am I thinking?

~Jess

I think that really sums it up best.

As far as dogs go...like anywhere else, it's just going to depend on the building's management. As far as living by the beach goes, it's highly overrated. The neighborhoods don't tend to be as nice and the rent tends to be higher. And let's face it, pretty much all of Sandy Eggo is "by the beach."

dsnutter

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2007, 01:28:14 AM »
Dog friendly living is hard to find in San Diego!  Anybody know of any tips for a one bedroom $1000 - $1250 by the beaches that will let a 75 lb Doberman live there?  Yeah I know, what am I thinking?

~Jess

Jess, I told you before, I will take that little puppy off your hands. Don't worry, I will grant you visitation rights. My place is perfect for a dog. Plus, I will be awfully lonely being all alone (well, my dad will be there about 4 days a month).

missmy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2007, 08:47:53 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks to whoever referred me.  So I'm 90% sure I'll be attending USD in the fall.  In any case, congrats everyone.

I did my undergrad in San Diego, nice city, great weather.  If I remember correctly, USD is on a hill, so it's a bit chilly on the actual campus.  But the campus is clean and I agree with everyone else, the people very friendly.

I used to live in La Jolla area, and the drive to USD isn't bad, but I wouldn't really recommend living that much more north of LJ if you want a 15 minute or less commute.  But if price is a big issue, everyone I knew used to live in the condos and houses in Mira Mesa (I also heard it's a safe area, but can't confirm personally).  That's about all I know.

Good luck everyone, see you in the fall unless someone is working on a get together  ;).