Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 2007  (Read 51752 times)

dsnutter

Re: USD 2007
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 04:16:43 AM »

Pretty sweet that we've got five people already. I'm originally from Dallas, although I live and work up in NYC right now. I'll probably leave for San Diego in August or as soon as I can get enough cash together to tell my job to shove it and go chill out for a while before school.

That's BS that they don't release the housing list until mid-June. Thanks for the info though, Yanksfan. I'd rather take care of my housing sooner rather than later. You'd think they could do a little better in that department. I also haven't decided whether to get a roommate or not. I've been given different advice on the sub hey don't give you much $ for cost of living. Not that I really need to be borrowing more money.

I think I got the layout of the city alright was wondering about the morning traffic. What do you think are the border areas for a comfortable 15 minute drive to campus in the morning with traffic? Am really gonna miss the days when I could just roll out of bed and stumble to class.

I will most likely be commuting from Solana Beach, which is about 20 miles north of the campus. It is typically a 20 minute drive or so, unless it is during rush hour. I think living in the Mission Valley area would be the best. I really like the area, and it is decently close to campus. I will be working about 2 miles away from campus (in Mission Valley) so I would definitely be looking at something in that vacinity if I decided to move.

Hi guys. I will be at USD this upcoming Fall as well.  Still kinda seems surreal that in less than 6 months we will be 1L's...  But if everyone is going to meet up, count me in.  I know a whole one person in San Diego, and meeting some fellow classmates before school starts would be awesome. 

Also, is anyone thinking about living on campus?  It is a little more expensive, but being able to walk to class/the library really has its perks.

usd-2007, good to have you here. When will you be in SD? It looks as though a few of us wont be in town till a little later, but I would definitely be up for getting a group together in June of July. I am not sure what to say about on campus housing. It definitely has its perks. Personally, I would rather just live decently close to campus (depending on how the on campus housing is). I need a kitchen and all that jazz. 
We are finally starting to get a bit of a gathering now!

ML

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 06:04:39 PM »
Hey .... I just recently made a final decision to go to USD too.... Im comin from Victoria, Canada... Id be down for a get together for SURE! Ill probably make my way down there by the beginning of August so keep in touch

Also... I want to get a roomate .. Id like to live on campus just for the ease of being close, but its too expensive... I think to live in PB would be best, no?... or maybe mission beach or la jolla... depending on the traffic (i am unsure of how bad it gets)... Im going to bring down a pickup truck too so the commute is no big deal... soooo... if anybody (maybe even more than one person, get a house?) is serious about finding a place... let me know, send me an email so we can meet, Im a laid back guy... its important for me to have a good place to relax and study

In any case, Ill see all of ya in August, congratz on the acceptance, Im lookin forward to moving to SD

Law9486

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 06:21:03 PM »
Hey everyone! Congrats on your decision. I am USD 1L right now and I love it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. (I have been trying to answer questions on this board, but sometimes I get lost in the magnitude of them.)

I just wanted to comment quickly about on-campus housing. I have a couple friends that live on campus and love it. Its slightly more expensive, but there are a few perks - 1. less drive time, traffic here stinks. 2. only 9 month lease, which allows you to take a job elsewhere during the summer 3. no housing searching. 4. great study rooms. Just thought that I would throw that out there.

Good luck!

dsnutter

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 06:44:07 PM »
Hey .... I just recently made a final decision to go to USD too.... Im comin from Victoria, Canada... Id be down for a get together for SURE! Ill probably make my way down there by the beginning of August so keep in touch

ML, good to see that you will be joining us at USD. All the way from Canada, that is exciting. If I wasn't so poor, I would definitely be up for finding a house (will be living at home for at least the first semester). La Jolla is an expensive area, but if you have the money I would recommend it. PB is where all the partying happens. Personally, I think Mission Valley would suit me the best while I was in LS.

snobord99

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 12:10:13 PM »
Another 1L. Feel free to ask me (or us) any questions you may have.

I'm going to disagree and say don't stay on campus. The only real benefit is that you don't have to do the housing search (and convenience if you don't have a car). Other than that, the rent really isn't worth it. True, it's a 9 month lease, but the money you could save living in a similar place elsewhere easily makes up for the 3 months where you are committed to another place.

As far as a decent 15 min drive goes, if you stay somewhere along the I-5 corridor there shouldn't be much traffic. I live in La Jolla (about 9 miles away) and my entire commute is about 12 min. I've yet to run into traffic that doesn't allow me to go faster than 40 and am usually doing around 80 on my way to school.

snobord99

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 12:14:44 PM »
Oh yea, and the housing list. I was on it last year, but certainly didn't wait around for it. The issue is that they wait until the second deposits are in so they have a better idea of who is actually coming; as a result, you won't get the list till sometime in June (which is obviously a problem for people like me who secured a place by early June).

As far as living in PB goes, it's not for me. The area is pricier (for the quality of place you get) and the parking is horrendous. Of course that's not so big an issue if you have a spot, but it sucks for whoever is going over. Yes, it's a nice area to party, but I'll be honest, you're not going to have THAT much time to go out. Even when we (as in me and my group of friends) go out we almost never choose PB. We pick PB maybe 10% of the time.

dsnutter

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 11:36:24 PM »
Ahh!  I got referred to this discussion by Dan (thanks Dan), you're here somewhere right?  I'm coming to San Diego sometime in July from Florida.  I'm one of the few people who is NOT looking forward to San Diego weather (because it is supposed to be much cooler than what I'm used to).  But I'm still so excited!   I've got a Doberman so living on campus is out of the question.  I'm thinking Hillcrest and other neighborhoods around Balboa, or the Beaches.  All of you USD 1l's find me on Facebook: Jessie Mackaness.  I'm down for drinks in the beginning of August for sure.

Jessie, good to see you found us! And yes, I am here.

Don't you worry, San Diego weather is muuuch nicer than the sticky heat you are used to. I will be living in Solana Beach, for at least the first quarter. I'll take your dog!

pbnwu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 01:22:29 PM »
Is anyone going to that reception thing on Tues 4/24? I live in SD so I'll be there

dsnutter

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 01:42:52 PM »
Is anyone going to that reception thing on Tues 4/24? I live in SD so I'll be there

I wanted to go; however, Mondays are hectic for me class wise. I don't think I would be able to miss that day just to see what I have already seen at USD.

snobord99

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 01:55:22 PM »

I'll be there...for lunch  ;).