Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USD 2007  (Read 50849 times)

dsnutter

Re: USD 2007
« Reply #280 on: July 26, 2007, 06:15:20 PM »
Hey all!

After about a year of obsessively trolling this site without registering, I've made the final decision to attend USD Fall '07 and I couldn't be more excited!   :)

This has probably been discussed (and I'm going to hunt around some more), but any apartment search tips would be wonderful.  I'm from the LA area originally so I don't know much about the different parts of SD.  Any specific area that a lot of the law students live?  Where's a good place to get started looking for places and fellow law roommies?  That's my biggest priority at this late date...

Congrats on the wise decision joining us. You will not be disappointed.

Mission Valley seems to be the hot spot for a good deal of USD folks. I would start there. It is convenient, and there are pretty decently priced placs.

MCB

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 26, 2007, 06:58:36 PM »
Hey all!

After about a year of obsessively trolling this site without registering, I've made the final decision to attend USD Fall '07 and I couldn't be more excited!   :)

This has probably been discussed (and I'm going to hunt around some more), but any apartment search tips would be wonderful.  I'm from the LA area originally so I don't know much about the different parts of SD.  Any specific area that a lot of the law students live?  Where's a good place to get started looking for places and fellow law roommies?  That's my biggest priority at this late date...

Congrats on the wise decision joining us. You will not be disappointed.

Mission Valley seems to be the hot spot for a good deal of USD folks. I would start there. It is convenient, and there are pretty decently priced placs.

Thanks, I'll look into Mission Valley.  Does the school have any resources as far as roommate/apartment listings?  Craigslist seems a little overwhelming, especially not really knowing the area.  Any girls on here looking for roommies?
USD 2L

MCB

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 26, 2007, 07:16:26 PM »
Okay, they sent me a roommate listing and recommended signonsandiego.com, so I'll start my search.  If any girls are looking though, PM me.   :)
USD 2L

USDer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #283 on: July 26, 2007, 11:49:20 PM »
Re: Insurance

It's good to know the school offers it 'cause I called today and the guy that I spoke with said all they had was a health service office where we would pay for services as needed.

MCB
I found my roomate on craigslist. I looked in the Mission Valley, Fashion Valley, Clairemont, LaJolla, Old Town, areas.

Was told by a 2L to stay away from Normal Heights, Chula Vista, Imperial Beach, Golden Hill and Northbrook areas.

Law9486

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 27, 2007, 10:18:57 AM »
Re: Insurance

It's good to know the school offers it 'cause I called today and the guy that I spoke with said all they had was a health service office where we would pay for services as needed.

MCB
I found my roomate on craigslist. I looked in the Mission Valley, Fashion Valley, Clairemont, LaJolla, Old Town, areas.

Was told by a 2L to stay away from Normal Heights, Chula Vista, Imperial Beach, Golden Hill and Northbrook areas.

So, here are my thoughts on the insurance thing. Yes USD does offer a plan. During orientation you will hear a presentation from Student Health and then have opportunities to talk to them in kindof an open house format. My understanding was that its kindof "emergency coverage." However, that said - the one time that I went to the Student clinic thing, it was awesome. Visits are free and they have highly reduced medicines (it was almost cheaper then what I pay with my non-student insurance.) They can handle your every day things like colds and stuff. I think they are also the first person that you have to go to if you have the student insurance to get a referral elsewhere.

Generally, unless you are without coverage now, I would wait until school starts so you can ask a lot of these questions.

Oh and for housing, I live in the Clairemont area basically just up Morena and I love it. Clairemont can be hit or miss, but you can find some nice places a little cheaper (ex. I pay 1250 for a 2-bedroom.)

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #285 on: July 27, 2007, 11:51:12 AM »

Sounds like that 2L is afraid of a little reality and grit.  Golden Hill and Normal Heights are quite nice areas.  They are on the edge of areas currently being gentrified, so most of the homeless are being forced out.  They have nice architecture, not all cookie-cutter mass-tract development.  The rent is usually better in those two spots.  Sure, the neighborhoods are a little more blue collar, but is that really so bad? 

Chula Vista is actually a really pretty city.  The only downside is it's a pretty far drive from campus.  Imperial Beach and Northbrook are the only two places I'd warn you away from.

USDer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #286 on: July 27, 2007, 03:20:15 PM »
Okay folks, what do you plan on doing when/if you need extra cash - work study or not? I don't hsve rich parents or a rich uncle and my budget (personal and finaid) just about covers everything I'll need (or at least the things USD thinks I'll need) while in school. I'm toying with the idea to have some extra cash just in case ....

Upperclassmen - have you tried workstudy in LS? If so how was it balancing both? If you haven't had a personal experience do you know of friends who did it and what their experiences were?

Thanks

IONLYKNOWY

« Reply #287 on: July 29, 2007, 08:23:24 PM »
Ok, so I talked to a person that was born and raised in San Diego the other day.  She was saying that there is a problem with auto theft and burglary. 

Question for the current students..  Have you heard of anyone getting their car stolen or broken into?  If so, which areas should be avoided for housing?  And what should you do to protect yourself against this?

The lady that I spoke with said that her brother has had 3 cars stolen, and that everyone she knows that has lived in San Diego has had their car either broken into or stolen.  She said that insurance covers it if it is stolen but that it has to be gone for 30 days before they give you the money for the car.  She also said that since it is so close to the border that they steal your car and unless you find out about it within a 30 minute time frame then it is probably across the border by then..

Maybe she was just exaggerating but she made it sound like a serious problem.

Does anyone have an opinion about this?  Cause I like my car...  :-\

dsnutter

« Reply #288 on: July 30, 2007, 04:15:01 PM »
I like my car too, and no matter where I have driven it in CA I am scared it is going to get stolen. With that being said, I have never had it stolen or broken into in SD. I actually don't even know anyone in SD who has had it happen to them. Granted, I live in a little different neck of the woods, but I would still disregard your friend's comments as hyperbole. Of course, there is ALWAYS the possibility of your car being stolen or broken into, but I think if you are smart about things (don't keep your car unlocked) you should be fine. Also, just try to stay out of the 'bad' areas of SD. It is true that cars get taken to Mexico very quickly, bastards.

Now I will wait for everybody to tell me that I am wrong...

LJGuy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: July 31, 2007, 01:03:29 AM »
I agree with iSalute. Having grown up in San Diego, I've heard of one or two incidents of auto theft, but it is not common. You are much more likely to have things taken from your car at the beach(don't try to cleverly hide your key on the underside of your car). Be smart, lock your doors, keep the windows closed, and don't leave valuables in sight. It isn't anything to worry about.